- Volume 26 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Assessment of Non-Point Source Pollutant Loads and Priority Management Areas using an HSPF Model in Sejong City, South Korea
- Lim, Dohun (Korea Natural Environment Institute) ;
- Lee, Yoonjin (Department of General Education, Konyang University)
- Received : 2017.04.14
- Accepted : 2017.07.27
- Published : 2017.08.31
In this study, the discharge loads of non-point pollution sources were analyzed using a Hydrologic Simulation Program-Fortran (HSPF) model for 46 sub-watersheds in order to guide the management plan for water and streams passing through the city. The results using HSPF showed good applicability in comparison to point measurements, which were based on BOD, TP, and TN. The mean value of the BOD loads was
Non-point pollutant source;HSPF model;Watershed management;Constructed wetland
- Birch, G. F., Matthai, C., Fazeli, M. S., Suh, J., 2004, Efficiency of a constructed wetland in removing contaminants from stormwater, Wetlands, 24(2), 459-466. https://doi.org/10.1672/0277-5212(2004)024[0459:EOACWI]2.0.CO;2
- Choi, J. Y., Son, Y. G., Lee, S. Y., Lee, Y. H., Kim, L. H., 2013, Development of tree box filter LID system for treating road runoff, J. of Wetlands Res., 15(3), 407-412. https://doi.org/10.17663/JWR.2013.15.3.407
- Collaboration with Relevant Government Ministries, 2012, Master plan of non-point source pollution management, the second stage (2012-2020).
- Dietz, M. E., 2007, Low impact development practices: A Review of current research and recommendations for future directions, Water, Air and Soil Pollut., 186(1-4), 351-363. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11270-007-9484-z
- Donigian, A. S., 2000, HSPF training workshop handbook and CD, Lecture #19, Calibration and verification issues, Slide#L19-22, EPA Headquarters, Washington Information Center, Presented and prepared for U.S. EPA, Office of Water, Office of Science and Technology.
- Kadlec, R. H., Wallace, S. D., 2008, Treatment wetlands (2nd Ed.), CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA, 267-348.
- Kim, H. C., 2010, Assessment of non-point source pollution reduction using constructed wetland, Ph.D. Dissertation, Konkuk University, Korea.
- Kim, L. H., Masoud, K., Stenstrom, M. K., 2004, Event mean concentration and loading of litter from highways during storms, Sci. Total Environ., 330(1-3), 101-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2004.02.012
- Kim, S. K., Park, J. S., Hong, H. S., Rhee, K. H., 2012, Characteristics of non-point source runoff in housing and industrial area during rainfall, J. of Wetlands Res., 14(4), 581-589.
- Ko, D. H., Chung, Y. C., Seo, S. C., 2009, Removal mechanism for water pollutant in constructed wetlands, J. of Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 32(4), 379-392.
- Koo, W. S., 2005, Study on the water quality improvement of tributary using surface flow wetland for estuarine reservoir, Ph.D. Dissertation, Konkuk University, Korea.
- Lee, C. W., 2011, A Study on runoff characteristics of pollutants in soil near the road, Ph.D. Dissertation, Kwangwoon University, Korea.
- Lee, H. J., 2010, A Study on the runoff characteristics of non-point source pollution with resources of livestock compost : A Case of cow manure, Master's Thesis, University of Hanseo, Korea.
- Mitsch, W. J., Gosselink, J. G., 2000, The value of wetlands: Importance of scale and landscape setting, Ecol. Econ., 35, 25-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-8009(00)00165-8
- Nasr, A., Bruen, M., Jordan, P., Moles, R., Kiely, G., Byrne, P., 2007, A Comparison of SWAT, HSPF and SHETRAN/GOPC for modelling phosphorus export from three catchments in Ireland, Water Res., 41(5), 1065-1073. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2006.11.026
- Obermann, M., Rosenwinkel, K. H., Tournoud, M. G., 2009, Investigation of first flushes in medium-sized mediterranean catchment, J. Hydro., 373, 405-415. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2009.04.038
- Ribarova, I., Ninov, P., Cooper, D., 2008, Modeling nutrient pollution during a first flood event using HSPF software: Iskar River case study, Bulgaria, Ecol. Model, 211, 241-246. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2007.09.022
- Roh, S. D., Kim, J. H., Lee, D. G., Kim, S. J., Shon, B. Y., Chun, Y. K., 2006, Characteristics of pollutants discharge from Hoengseong watershed during the dry and rainy seasons, J. of Korean Soc. on Water Qual., 22(4), 525-533.
- Shon, T. S., Cho, E.Y., Lee, T. S., Shin, H. S., 2011, Computation of non-point source pollutant loads based on hydrological model according to land use in residential area, Korean Soc. of Hazard. Miti., 11(6), 331-339. https://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2011.11.6.331
- Shrestha, S., Babel, M. S., Gupta, A. D., Kazama, F., 2006, Evaluation of annualized nonpoint source model for a watershed in the Siwalik Hills of Nepal, Environ. Modell. Softw., 21(7), 961-975. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2005.04.007
- Singh, J., Knapp, H. V., Arnold, J. G., Demissie, M., 2004, Hydrological modeling of the Iroquois River watershed using HSPF and SWAT, J. Am. Water Resour. Assoc., 41(2), 343-360.
- Yeo, G. I., 2012, Comparative analysis for the discharge load of non-point source in the urban and rural area, Master's Thesis, University of Chungju, Korea.
- You, Y. Y., Jin, W. B., Xiong, Q. X., Xue, L., Ai, T. C., Lia, B. L., 2012, Simulation and validation of non-point source nitrogen and phosphorus loads under different land uses in Sihu basin, Hubei Province, China, Procedia Environ. Sci., 13, 1781-1797. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proenv.2012.01.172