- Volume 31 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Development of quasi-static analysis program for catenary mooring system using OpenFOAM
OpenFOAM을 이용한 catenary 계류시스템의 준정적 해석 프로그램 개발
- Choi, Jun Hyeok (Division of Naval Architecture and Ocean Systems Engineering, Korea Maritime and Ocean University) ;
- Lee, Seung Jae (Division of Naval Architecture and Ocean Systems Engineering, Korea Maritime and Ocean University)
- Received : 2017.06.29
- Accepted : 2017.08.23
- Published : 2017.08.31
Generally, global performance analysis in offshore platforms is performed using potential-based numerical tools, which neglect hydrodynamic viscous effects. In comparison with the potential theory, computational fluid dynamics (CFD) methods can take into account the viscous effects by solving the Navier-Stokes equation using the finite-volume method. The open-source field operation and manipulation (OpenFOAM) C++ libraries are employed for a finite volume method (FVM) numerical analysis. In this study, in order to apply CFD to the global performance analysis of a hull-mooring coupled system, we developed a numerical wave basin to analyze the global performance problem of a floating body with a catenary mooring system under regular wave conditions. The mooring system was modeled using a catenary equation and solved in a quasi-static condition, which excluded the dynamics of the mooring lines such as the inertia and drag effects. To demonstrate the capability of the numerical basin, the global performance of a barge with four mooring lines was simulated under regular wave conditions. The simulation results were compared to the analysis results from a commercial mooring analysis program, Orcaflex. The comparison included the motion of the barge, catenary shape, and tension in the mooring lines. The study found good agreement between the results from the developed CFD-based numerical calculation and commercial software.
Hydrodynamics;Mooring system;Catenary equation;Quasi-static;Computational fluid dynamics;OpenFOAM
Grant : 위치유지와 계류 시스템을 적용하여 ARC7 조건에서 연중운용이 가능한 북극해 기반 부유식 해양구조물 형상 개발
Supported by : 산업통산자원부
- Davidson, J., Ringwood, J. V., 2017. Mathematical Modelling of Mooring Systems for Wave Energy Converters-A Review. Energies, 10(5), 666. https://doi.org/10.3390/en10050666
- DNVGL, 2015. Position Mooring. DNVGL-OS-E301, DNV GL AS.
- Hong, S.Y., Lee, P.M., Kim, Y.C., Hong, D.C., 1988. An Experimental Analysis on the Motion Response of a Moored Semi-Submersible Platform in Regular Waves, Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 2(1), 59-70.
- Ok, H. T., Lee, S. J., Choi, J. H., 2017. Numerical simulation of motion of single and side-by-side vessels in regular waves using OpenFOAM. Ships and Offshore Structures, 12(6), 793-803. https://doi.org/10.1080/17445302.2016.1265697
- Sirnivas, S., Yu, Y. H., Hall, M., Bosma, B., 2016. Coupled mooring analyses for the wec-sim wave energy converter design tool. In ASME 2016 35th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering (pp. V006T09A023-V006T09A023). American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Wu, G., Kim, J. W., Jang, H., Baquet, A., 2016. CFD-Based Numerical Wave Basin for Global Performance Analysis. OMAE2016.