- Volume 66 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Characteristics and Determinants of Household Electricity Consumption for Different Levels of Electricity Use in Korea
국내 가구의 전력소비 수준에 따른 특성 및 결정요인
- Kim, Yong-Rae (Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy) ;
- Kim, Min-Jeong (Dept. of Consumer Economics, Sookmyung Women's University)
- Received : 2017.02.07
- Accepted : 2017.06.19
- Published : 2017.07.01
This study compares the characteristics and the determinants of household electricity consumption for low electricity consuming and high electricity consuming households. The data are drawn from a household energy consumption sample survey by Korea Energy Economics Institute in 2015. The results show the differences in socio-demographic, dwelling, and electricity consumption characteristics between two households. Next, the factors affecting the household's electricity consumption are investigated. Common factor affecting the electricity consumption function is only the number of electrical appliances. There are also the differences in major determinants of the household's electricity consumption functions for two households. The results of this study would be useful for understanding socio-demographic, dwelling, and electricity consumption characteristics of low electricity consuming and high electricity consuming households.
Supported by : Sookmyung Women's University
- M. J. Kim, "A Study of Restructured Residential Electricity Pricing toward the Competitive Power Market," The Transactions of the Korean Institute of Electrical Engineers, Vol. 63, No. 7, pp. 889-895, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2014.63.7.889
- M. J. Kim, "Demand Response of Large-Scale General and Industrial Customer using In-House Pricing Model," The Transactions of the Korean Institute of Electrical Engineers, Vol. 65, No. 7, pp. 1128-1134, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2016.65.7.1128
- Korea Energy Economics Institute, KESIS, http://www.kesis.net/
- S. C. Noh, and H. Y. Lee, "An Analysis of the Factors Affecting the Energy Consumption of the Household in Korea," Journal of Korea Planning Association, Vol. 48, No. 2, pp. 295-312, 2013.
- J. Y. No, "Effects of Demographics and Usage of Appliances on Household Electricity Demand in Korea," Journal of Korea Economy Study, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 177-202, 2014.
- Korea Electric Power Corporation, Electric Rates Table, http://cyber.kepco.co.kr/ckepco/front/jsp/CY/E/E/CYEEHP00101.jsp
- J. S. Shin, "The Plan for an Improvement and New Policy in the Rationalization of Electric Rates System," Journal of Electrical World, Korea Electric Association, sno. 145, pp. 22-28, 1989.
- Y. B. Yoon, "Reform and Future Plan of Electric Rates System," ELECTRICAL WORLD, Vol. 60, No. 5, pp. 34-36, 2011.
- Korea Power Exchange, "A study for consumer acceptance and policy based on the electric tariff change," 2014.1.24.
- Energytimes, "Progressive tariff system for residential service, KEPCO opposes this tariff system," http://www.energytimes.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=37419, 2016.08.11.
- S. L. Lee, and M. H. Park, "Consumer Perception of Domestic Electricity Prices," Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, Vol. 46, No. 3, pp. 37-47, 2008.
- A. Druckman, and T. Jackson, "Household Energy Consumption in the UK: a Highly Geographically and Social-Economically Disaggregated Model," Energy Policy, Vol. 36, Issue 8, pp. 3177-3192, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2008.03.021
- J. Cayla, M. Maizi, and C. Marchand, "The Role of Income in Energy Consumption Behavior: Evidence from French Household Data," Energy Policy, Vol. 39, Issue 12, pp. 7874-7883, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2011.09.036
- N. Kaza, "Understanding the spectrum of residential energy consumption: a quantile regression approach," Energy Polucy, Vol. 38, Issue 11, pp. 6574-6585, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2010.06.028
- R. V. Jones, A. Fuertes, and K. J. Lomas, "The socioeconomic, dwelling and appliance related factors affecting electricity consumption in domestic buildings," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 43, pp. 901-917, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2014.11.084
- A. Kavousian, R. Rajagopal, and M. Fischer, "Determinants of residential electricity consumption: using smart meter data to examine the effect of climate, building characteristics, appliance stock, and occupants' behavior," Energy, Vol. 55, Issue 15, pp. 184-194, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2013.03.086
- R. Nesbakken, "Price sensitivity of residential energy consumption in Norway," Energy Economics, Vol. 21, Issue 6, pp. 493-515, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-9883(99)00022-5
- Korea Electric Power Corporation, http://cyber.kepco.co.kr/kepco/main.do
- K. C. Lim, "Development of Survey Techniques for Residential Energy Consumption by Life Behavior," Journal of the Korean Official Statistics, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 53-75, 2016.
- T. F. Sanquist, H. Orr, B. Shui, and A. C. Bittner, "Lifestyle factors in U.S. residential electricity consumption," Energy Policy, Vol. 42, pp. 354-364, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2011.11.092
- L. Poznaka, I. Laicane, D. Blumberga, A. Blumberga, and M. Rosa, "Analysis of electricity use behavior: case study based on results from extended household survey," Energy Procedia, Vol. 72, pp. 79-86, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2015.06.012
- W. Huang, "The determinants of household electricity consumption in Taiwan evidence from quantile regression," Energy, Vol. 87, pp. 120-133, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2015.04.101
- F. McLoughlin, A. Duffy, and M. Conlon, "Characterising domestic electricity consumpton patterns by dwelling and socio-economic variables: An Irish case study," Energy and Buildings, Vol. 48, pp. 240-248, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2012.01.037