- Volume 6 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Efficient Object-based Image Retrieval Method using Color Features from Salient Regions
- An, Jaehyun (LG Electronics) ;
- Lee, Sang Hwa (Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, INMC, Seoul National University) ;
- Cho, Nam Ik (Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, INMC, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2017.03.21
- Accepted : 2017.06.12
- Published : 2017.08.30
This paper presents an efficient object-based color image-retrieval algorithm that is suitable for the classification and retrieval of images from small to mid-scale datasets, such as images in PCs, tablets, phones, and cameras. The proposed method first finds salient regions by using regional feature vectors, and also finds several dominant colors in each region. Then, each salient region is partitioned into small sub-blocks, which are assigned 1 or 0 with respect to the number of pixels corresponding to a dominant color in the sub-block. This gives a binary map for the dominant color, and this process is repeated for the predefined number of dominant colors. Finally, we have several binary maps, each of which corresponds to a dominant color in a salient region. Hence, the binary maps represent the spatial distribution of the dominant colors in the salient region, and the union (OR operation) of the maps can describe the approximate shapes of salient objects. Also proposed in this paper is a matching method that uses these binary maps and which needs very few computations, because most operations are binary. Experiments on widely used color image databases show that the proposed method performs better than state-of-the-art and previous color-based methods.
Supported by : Korean National Police Agency
- R. Datta, D. Joshi, J. Li, and J. Z. Wang, "Image retrieval: Ideas, influences, and trends of the new age," ACM Computing Surveys, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 1- 60, Apr. 2008.
- Y. Zhang, Z. Jia, and T. Chen, "Image retrieval with geometry-preserving visual phrases," in Proc. IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Colorado, USA, pp. 809-816, Jun. 2011.
- H. Jiang, J. Wang, Z. Yuan, Y. Wu, N. Zheng, and S. Li, "Salient Object Detection: A Discriminative Regional Feature Integration Approach," in Proc. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Portland, Oregon, pp. 2083-2090, Jun. 2013.
- Jaehyun An, Sang Hwa Lee, and Nam Ik Cho, "Content-based image retrieval using color features of salient regions," in Proc. IEEE International Conf. on Image Proc. (ICIP), 2014.
- P. Perez, C. Hue, J. Vermaak, and M. Gangnet, "Color-based probabilistic tracking," in European Conference on Computer Vision, Copenhagen, Denmark, pp. 661-675, May 2002.
- S. P. Lloyd, "Least squares quantization in PCM," IEEE Transaction on Information Theory, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 129-137, Sep. 1982. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIT.1982.1056489
- J. R. Smith and S.-F. Chang, "VisualSEEk: a fully automated content-based image query system," in Proc. the Fourth ACM International Conference on Multimedia, Boston, USA, pp. 87-98, Nov. 1996.
- N.-C. Yang, W.-H. Chang, C.-M. Kuo, and T.-H. Li, "A fast MPEG-7 dominant color extraction with new similarity measure for image retrieval," Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 92-105, Feb. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvcir.2007.05.003
- S. Kiranyaz, M. Birinci, and M. Gabbouj, "Perceptual color descriptor based on spatial distribution: A topdown approach," Image and Vision Computing, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 1309-1326, Aug. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.imavis.2010.01.012
- A. Talib, M. Mahmuddin, H. Husni, and L. E. George, "A weighted dominant color descriptor for contentbased image retrieval," Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 345-360, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvcir.2013.01.007
- W. Bian and D. Tao, "Biased discriminant Euclidean embedding for content-based image retrieval," IEEE Transaction on Image Processing, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 545-554, Feb. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2009.2035223
- A. Yamada, M. Pickering, S. Jeannin, and L. C. Jens, "MPEG-7 visual part of experimentation model version 9.0-part 3 dominant color," ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11/N3914, Pisa, 2001.
- Gao Li-chun, and Xu Ye-quang, "Image retrieval based on relevance feedback using blocks weighted dominant colors in MPEG-7," Journal of Computer Applications, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 1549-1551, Jun. 2011.
- R. Min, and H. D. Cheng, "Effective image retrieval using dominant color descriptor and fuzzy support vector machine," Pattern Recognition. vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 147-157, Jan. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patcog.2008.07.001
- M. Swain, and D. Ballard, "Color Indexing," International Journal of Computer Vision, vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 11-32, Nov. 1991. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00130487
- M. Stricker, and A. Dimai, "Color indexing with weak spatial constraints," Proc. Symp. on Electronic Imaging: Science and Technology - Storage fJ Retrieval or Image and Video Databases IV, pp. 29- 41, 1996.
- R. Brnuelli, and O. Mich, "Histograms analysis for image retrieval," Pattern Recognition, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 1625-1637, Aug. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-3203(00)00054-6
- K. C. Ravishankar, B. G. Prasad, S. K. Gupta, and K. K. Biswas, "Dominant color region-based indexing technique for CBIR," Proc. the International Conference on Image Analysis and Processing (ICIAP), Venice, Italy, pp. 887-892, Sep. 1999.
- G. Pass and R. Zabih, "Histogram refinement for content-based image retrieval," in Proc. IEEE Workshop on Applications of Computer Vision, FL, USA, pp. 96-102, Dec. 1996.
- G. Pass, R. Zabih, and J. Miller, "Comparing images using color coherent vectors," Proc. the ACM Multimedia Conference, Boston, USA, pp. 65-73, Nov. 1996.
- M. K. Mandal, T. Aboulnasr, and S. Panchanathan, "Image Indexing Using Moments and Wavelets," IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 557-565, Aug. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/30.536156
- Zhang Lei, Lin Fuzong, and Zhang Bo, "A CBIR method based on color-spatial feature," in Proc. IEEE Region 10 Conference, Cheju, Korea, pp. 166-169, Sep. 1999.
- Y. K. Chan, and C. Y. Chen, "Image retrieval system based on color-complexity and color-spatial features," Journal of Systems and Software, vol. 71, no.1-2, pp. 65-70, Nov. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0164-1212(02)00140-1
- B. S. Manjunath, J. R. Ohm, V. V. Vasudevan, and A. Yamada, "Color and texture descriptors," IEEE Transaction on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 703-715, June 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/76.927424
- L.-M. Po and K.-M. Wong, "A new palette histogram similarity measure for MPEG-7 dominant color descriptor," in Proc. International Conf. on Image Proc., pp. 1533-1536, Oct. 2004.
- O. A. B. Penatti, E. Valle, and R. d. S. Torres, "Comparative study of global color and texture descriptors for web image retrieval," Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 359-380, Feb. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvcir.2011.11.002
- H. Lee, S. Jeon, I, Yoon, J. Paik, "Recent advances in feature detectors and descriptors: A survey," IEIE Transactions on Smart Processing and Computing, vol. 5, no. 3, June 2016
- D.-J. Jeong, S. Choo, W. Seo, N. I. Cho, "Regional deep feature aggregation for image retrieval," in Proc. IEEE International Conf. on Image Proc. (ICASSP), 2017.
- J. W. Kwak, N. I. Cho, "Relevance feedback in content-based image retrieval system by selective region growing in the feature space," Signal Processing: Image Communication, Vol. 18, No. 9, pp. 787-799, 2003 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0923-5965(03)00067-5