- Volume 6 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Accurate Heartbeat Frequency Extraction Method using UWB Impulse Radar
- Cho, Hui-Sup (Intelligent Devices and Systems Research Group, DGIST) ;
- Park, Young-Jin (Intelligent Devices and Systems Research Group, DGIST)
- Received : 2017.05.29
- Accepted : 2017.07.07
- Published : 2017.08.30
Non-invasive and non-restrictive methods for measuring the physiological functions of the human body are useful for health care, security, and surveillance. In this paper, a new method that extracts human heartbeat information by utilizing ultra-wideband (UWB) impulse radar is proposed. The amplitude spectra of received radar pulses reflected from the human body are accumulated at specific time intervals, and chirp z-transform (CZT) is used to extract the heartbeat frequency from the amplitude spectra. The heartbeat frequency can be extracted with high-frequency resolution in the frequency band of the heartbeat of interest using CZT. Experimental results to verify the performance of the proposed method show that a highly accurate extraction of the heartbeat frequency is possible using this method.
Supported by : DGIST
- C. G. Bilich, "Bio-Medical Sensing using Ultra Wideband Communications and Radar Technology: A Feasibility Study," Proceedings of the 1st International Pervasive Health Conference and Workshops, PervasiveHealth, pp. 1-9, 2006.
- S. H. Fouladi, I. Balasingham, T. A. Ramstad and K. Kansanen, "Accurate Heart Rate Estimation From Camera Recording Via MUSIC Algorithm," Proceedings of the 37th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, pp. 7454-7457, 2015.
- H. Y. Wu, M. Rubinstein, E. Shih, J. Guttag, F. Durand and W. Freeman, "Eulerian Video Magnification for Revealing Subtle Changes in the World," ACM Transaction on Graphics, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 65:1-65:8, 2012.
- V. Michell, D. J. Rosenorn, S. R. Culliver and W. Currie, Handbook of Research on Patient Safety and Quality Care through Health Informatics, IGI Global, 2013.
- K. F. Wu and Y. T. Zhang, "Contactless and continuous monitoring of heart electric activities through clothes on a sleeping bed," Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Information Technology and Application in Biomedicine, pp. 282- 285, 2008.
- L. Ren, H. Wang, K. Naishadham, Q Liu, and A. E. Fathy, "Non-Invasive Detection of Cardiac and Respiratory Rates from Stepped Frequency Continuous Wave Radar Measurements Using the State Space Method," 2015 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, pp. 1−4 2015.
- B. Gupta, E. Cianca, M. Ruggieri, and R. Prasad, "A novel FM-UWB system for vital sign monitoring and its comparison with IR-UWB," Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Applied Sciences in Biomedical and Communication Technologies, pp. 1- 4, 2009.
- L. Ren, Y. S. Koo, Y. Wang, and A. E. Fathy, "Noncontact heartbeat detection using UWB impulse Doppler radar," Proceedings of the IEEE Topical Conference on Biomedical Wireless Technologies, Networks, and Sensing System, pp. 14-16, 2015.
- T. Sakamoto, R. Imasaka, H. Taki, T. Sato, M. Yoshioka, K. Inoue, T. Fukuda, and H. Sakai, "Accurate heartbeat monitoring using ultra-wideband radar," Journal of IEICE Electronics Express, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 1-7, 2015.
- V. Nguyen, A. Q. Javaid and M. A. Weitnauer, "Spectrum-averaged harmonic path (SHAPA) algorithm for non-contact vital sign monitoring with ultra-wideband (UWB) radar," Proceedings of the 36th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, pp. 2241-2244, 2014.
- A. Lazaro, D. Girbau, and R. Villarino, "Analysis of vital signs monitoring using an IR-UWB radar," Progress in Electromagnetics Research 100, pp. 265- 284, 2010. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIER09120302
- Novelda, "NVA620x Preliminary Datasheet," 2013.
- G. Breed, "A Summary of FCC Rules for Ultra Wideband Communications," High Frequency Electronics, pp. 42-44, 2005.
- M. I. Skolnik, Radar Handbook, 3rd ed., McGraw- Hill, 2008.
- F. Mohammad-Zahed, F. Taghibakhsh, and B. Kaminska, "Contactless heart monitoring," Proceedings of the Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, pp. 583-585, 2007.
- J. G. Proakis and D. K. Manolakis, Digital signal processing, 4th ed., Pearson, 2006.
- L. R. Rabiner, R. W. Schaffer, and C. M. Rader, "The chirp z-transform algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Audio and Electroacoustics, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 86- 92, 1969. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAU.1969.1162034
- J. Pan and W. J. Tompkins, "A real-time QRS detection algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. BME-32, No. 3, pp. 230-236, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1109/TBME.1985.325532
- C. C. Johnson and A. W. Guy, "Non-ionizing electromagnetic wave effects in biological materials and systems," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 60, No. 6, pp.692-718, 1972. https://doi.org/10.1109/PROC.1972.8728
- Estimation of Human Body Vital Signs Based on 60 GHz Doppler Radar Using a Bound-Constrained Optimization Algorithm vol.18, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/s18072254