- Volume 6 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Novel Corner Detector using a Non-cornerness Measure
- Park, Seokmok (Department of Image, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Cho, Woon (Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Tennessee) ;
- Paik, Joonki (Department of Image, Chung-Ang University)
- Received : 2017.05.30
- Accepted : 2017.07.03
- Published : 2017.08.30
In this paper, a corner detection method based on a new non-cornerness measure is presented. Rather than evaluating local gradients or surface curvatures, as done in previous approaches, a non-cornerness function is developed that can identify stable corners by testing an image region against a set of desirable corner criteria. The non-cornerness function is comprised of two steps: 1) eliminate any pixel located in a flat region and 2) remove any pixel that is positioned along an edge in any orientation. A pixel that passes the non-cornerness test is considered a reliable corner. The proposed method also adopts the idea of non-maximum suppression to remove multiple corners from the results of the non-cornerness function. The proposed method is compared with previous popular methods and is tested with an artificial test image covering several corner forms and three real-world images that are universally used by the community to evaluate the accuracy of corner detectors. The experimental results show that the proposed method outperforms previous corner detectors with respect to accuracy, and that it is suitable for real-time processing.
Grant : Intelligent Defense Boundary Surveillance Technology Using Collaborative Reinforced Learning of Embedded Edge Camera and Image Analysis, Development of Global Multi-target Tracking and Event Prediction Techniques based on Real-time Large-scale Video Analysis
Supported by : IITP
- W. Cho, S. Park, J. D'Avy, and J. Paik, "New corner detector using non-cornerness measure," In Proc. IEEE/IEIE Int. Conf. Consumer Electronics - Asia, 2016.
- W. Cho. S. Kim, A. Koschan, and M. Abidi, "Bilateral kernel-based region detector," In Proc. Int. Conf. Pattern Recognition, 2012.
- W. Cho, J. Jang, A. Koschan, M. Abidi, and Joonki Paik, "Hyperspectral face recognition using improved inter-channel alignment based on qualitative prediction models," Optics Express, 24(24):27637- 27662, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.24.027637
- Moravec, "Toward automatic visual obstacle avoidance," In Proc. Int. Joint Conf. on Artificial Intelligence, 2:584-587, 1977.
- T. Tuytelaars and K. Mikolajczyk, "Local Invariant Feature Detectors: A Survey," Foundations and Trends in Computer Graphics and Vision, 3(3):117- 280, 2008.
- C. Harris and M. Stephens, "A combined corner and edge detector," In Proc. 4th Alvey Vision Conf., 147- 151, 1988.
- K. Mikolajczyk and C. Schmid, "Scale and affine invariant interest point detectors. Int. Journal of Computer Vision, 60:63-86, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:VISI.0000027790.02288.f2
- M. Brown, R. Szeliski, and S. Winder, "Multi-image matching using multi-scale oriented patches," In Proc. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 1:510-517, 2005.
- Q. Ji and R. Haralick, "Corner detection with covariance propagation," In Proc. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 1:362-367, 1997.
- M. Ruzon and C. Tomasi, "Edge, junction, and corner detection using color distributions," IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 23(11):1281-1295, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.969118
- C. Kenney, M. Zuliani, and B. Manjunath, "An axiomatic approach to corner detection," In Proc. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 191-197, 2005.
- J. Weijer, T. Gevers, and J. Geusebroek, "Edge and corner detection by photometric quasi-invariants," IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 27(4):625-630, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2005.75
- A. Rattarangsi and R. Chin, Scale-based detection of corners of planar curves," IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 14(4):430-449, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.126805
- M. Awrangjeb and G. Lu, "An improved curvature scale-space corner detector and a robust corner matching approach for transformed image identification," IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, 17(12):2425-2441, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2008.2006441
- R. Elias and R. Laganiere, "JUDOCA: junction detection operator based on circumferential anchors," IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, 21(4):2109-2118, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2011.2175738
- X. He and N. Yung, "Corner detector based on global and local curvature properties," Optical Engineering, 47(5):057008-1-12, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1117/1.2931681
- F. Mokhtarian and R. Suomela, "Robust image corner detection through curvature scale space," IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 20(12):1376-1381, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.735812
- S. Smith and J. Brady, "SUSAN - a new approach to low-level image processing," Int. Journal of Computer Vision, 23(1):45-78, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007963824710
- M. Trajkovic and M. Hedley. Fast corner detection. Image Vision Computing, 16(2):75-87, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0262-8856(97)00056-5
- F. Shih, C. Chuang, and V. Gaddipati, "A modified regulated morphological corner detector," Pattern Recognition Letters 26(7):931-937, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patrec.2004.09.040
- E. Rosten and T. Drummond, "Machine learning for high-speed corner detection," In Proc. European Conf. on Computer Vision, 430-443, 2006.
- E. Rosten and T. Drummond, "Faster and Better: A Machine Learning Approach to Corner Detection," IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 32(1):105-119, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2008.275
- E. Mair, G. Hager, D. Burschka, M. Suppa, and G. Hirzinger, "Adaptive and generic corner detection based on the accelerated segment test," In Proc. European Conf. on Computer Vision, 183-196, 2010.
- J. Lan and M. Zhang, "Fast and robust corner detector based on double-circle mask," Optical Engineering 49(12):127204-1-8, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1117/1.3526330
- R. Nock and F. Nielsen, "Statistical Region Merging," IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 26(11):1452-1458, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2004.110