- Volume 6 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Person Re-identification using Sparse Representation with a Saliency-weighted Dictionary
- Kim, Miri (Graduate School of Advanced Image Science, Multimedia, and Film, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Jang, Jinbeum (Graduate School of Advanced Image Science, Multimedia, and Film, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Paik, Joonki (Graduate School of Advanced Image Science, Multimedia, and Film, Chung-Ang University)
- Received : 2017.06.16
- Accepted : 2017.07.14
- Published : 2017.08.30
Intelligent video surveillance systems have been developed to monitor global areas and find specific target objects using a large-scale database. However, person re-identification presents some challenges, such as pose change and occlusions. To solve the problems, this paper presents an improved person re-identification method using sparse representation and saliency-based dictionary construction. The proposed method consists of three parts: i) feature description based on salient colors and textures for dictionary elements, ii) orthogonal atom selection using cosine similarity to deal with pose and viewpoint change, and iii) measurement of reconstruction error to rank the gallery corresponding a probe object. The proposed method provides good performance, since robust descriptors used as a dictionary atom are generated by weighting some salient features, and dictionary atoms are selected by reducing excessive redundancy causing low accuracy. Therefore, the proposed method can be applied in a large scale-database surveillance system to search for a specific object.
Grant : Intelligent Defense Boundary Surveillance Technology Using Collaborative Reinforced Learning of Embedded Edge Camera and Image Analysis
Supported by : IITP, Commercialization Promotion Agency for R&D Outcomes (COMPA)
- N. Gheissari, T. B. Sebastian, and R. Hartley, "Person re-identification using spatiotemporal appearance," Proc. IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 1528-1535, June 2006.
- D. Gray and H. Tao, "Viewpoint invariant pedestrian recognition with an ensemble of localized features," Proc. European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV), pp. 262-275, June 2008.
- B. Ma, Y. Su, and F. Jurie, "Covariance descriptor based on bio-inspired features for person reidentification and face verification," Image and Vision Computing, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 379-390, April 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.imavis.2014.04.002
- B. Ma, Y. Su, and F. Jurie, "Local descriptors encoded by fisher vectors for person reidentification," Proc. European Conference on Computer Vision Workshops and Demonstrations, pp. 413-422, 2012.
- R. Zhao, W. Ouyang, and X. Wang, "Learning midlevel filters for person re-identification," Proc. IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 144-151, June 2014.
- O. Hamdoun, F. Moutarde, B. Stanciulescu, and B. Steux, "Person re-identification in multi-camera system by signature based on interest point descriptors collected on short video sequences," Proc. IEEE Conf. Distributed Smart Cameras, pp. 1-6, September 2008.
- M. Farenzena, L. Bazzani, A. Perina, V. Murino, and M. Cristani, "Person Re-Identification by Symmetry- Driven Accumulation of Local Features," Proc. IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 2360-2367, June 2010.
- R. Zhao, W. Ouyang, and X. Wang. "Unsupervised salience learning for person re-identification," Proc. IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 3586-3593, June 2013.
- S. Karanam, Y. Li, and RJ. Radke, "Sparse Re-Id: Block Sparsity for Person Re-Identification," Proc. IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 33-40, June 2015.
- T. Matsukaw, T. Okabe, E. Suzuki, and Y. Sato, "Hierarchical Gaussian Descriptor for Person Re- Identification", Proc. IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 1363-1372, June 2016.
- M. Dikmen, E. Akbas, T. S. Huang, and N. Ahuja, "Pedestrian recognition with a learned metric," In Computer Vision-ACCV, Springer, pp. 501-512, 2010, 2011.
- J. V. Davis, B. Kulis, P. Jain, S. Sra, and I. S. Dhillon, "Information-theoretic metric learning," In Proc. Conf. Machine learning ACM, pp. 209-216, June 2007.
- M. Kostinger, M. Hirzer, P. Wohlhart, P. M. Roth, and H. Bischof, "Large scale metric learning from equivalence constraints," Proc. IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 2288-2295, June 2012.
- A. Mignon and F. Jurie, "Pcca: A new approach for distance learning from sparse pairwise constraints," Proc. IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 2666-2672, June 2012.
- S. Liao, Y. Hu, X. Zhu, and S. Z. Li, "Person reidentification by local maximal occurrence representation and metric learning," Proc. IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 2197- 2206, June 2015.
- KQ. Weinberger, J. Blitzer, and LK. Saul, "Distance metric learning for large margin nearest neighbor classification," Advances in neural information processing systems, pp. 1473-1480, 2006.
- M. Sugiyama, "Local fisher discriminant analysis for supervised dimensionality reduction," Proc. Conf. Machine learning ACM, pp. 905-912, June 2006.
- MJ. Wainwright, "Sharp thresholds for highdimensional and noisy sparsity recovery using l1- constrained quadratic programming (Lasso)," IEEE Trans. Information Theory, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 2183- 2202, May 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIT.2009.2016018
- J. Wright, Y. Ma, J. Mairal, G. Sapiro, T. Huang, TS. Huang, and S. Yan, "Sparse representation for computer vision and pattern recognition," Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 98, no. 6, pp. 1031- 1044, June 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2010.2044470
- MI. Khedher, MA. El. Yacoubi, and B. Dorizzi, "Multi-shot surf-based person re-identification via sparse representation," IEEE Conf. In Advanced Video and Signal Based Surveillance (AVSS), pp. 159-164, August 2013.
- X. Liu, M. Song, X. Zhou, C. Chen, and J. Bu "Semi- Supervised Coupled Dictionary Learning for Person Re-identification," pp. 3550-3557, Proc. IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 3550- 3557, June 2014.
- G. Lisanti, I. Masi, AD. Bagdanov, and A. Del Bimbo, "Person re-identification by iterative reweighted sparse ranking," IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 1629-1642, November 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2014.2369055
- T. Ahonen, A. Hadid, and M. Pietikinen, "Face description with local binary patterns: Application to face recognition," IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 2037-2041, December 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2006.244
- T. Wang, S. Gong, X. Zhu and S. Wang. "Person Re- Identification by Video Ranking," Proc. European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV), pp. 688-703, September 2014.
- Z. Jiang, Z. Lin, LS. Davis, "Label consistent KSVD: Learning a discriminative dictionary for recognition," IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 2651-2664, November 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2013.88