- Volume 6 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Fast Lamp Pairing-based Vehicle Detection Robust to Atypical and Turn Signal Lamps at Night
- Received : 2017.07.18
- Accepted : 2017.08.07
- Published : 2017.08.30
Automatic vehicle detection is a very important function for autonomous vehicles. Conventional vehicle detection approaches are based on visible-light images obtained from cameras mounted on a vehicle in the daytime. However, unlike daytime, a visible-light image is generally dark at night, and the contrast is low, which makes it difficult to recognize a vehicle. As a feature point that can be used even in the low light conditions of nighttime, the rear lamp is virtually unique. However, conventional rear lamp-based detection methods seldom cope with atypical lamps, such as LED lamps, or flashing turn signals. In this paper, we detect atypical lamps by blurring the lamp area with a low pass filter (LPF) to make out the lamp shape. We also propose to detect flickering of the turn signal lamp in a manner such that the lamp area is vertically projected, and the maximum difference of two paired lamps is examined. Experimental results show that the proposed algorithm has a higher F-measure value of 0.24 than the conventional lamp pairing-based detection methods, on average. In addition, the proposed algorithm shows a fast processing time of 6.4 ms per frame, which verifies real-time performance of the proposed algorithm.
Supported by : Inha University
- W. C. Chang and C. W. Cho, "Online Boosting for Vehicle Detection," in IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B (Cybernetics), vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 892-902, June 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMCB.2009.2032527
- S. Sivaraman and M. M. Trivedi, "A General Active- Learning Framework for On-Road Vehicle Recognition and Tracking," in IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 267-276, June 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TITS.2010.2040177
- F. Han, Y. Shan, R. Cekander, H. S. Sawhney and R. Kumar, "A two-stage approach to people and vehicle detection with hog-based svm." Performance Metrics for Intelligent Systems 2006 Workshop. 2006.
- A. Jazayeri, H. Cai, J. Y. Zheng and M. Tuceryan, "Vehicle Detection and Tracking in Car Video Based on Motion Model," in IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 583-595, June 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TITS.2011.2113340
- J. Gall, A. Yao, N. Razavi, L. Van Gool and V. Lempitsky, "Hough Forests for Object Detection, Tracking, and Action Recognition," in IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 2188-2202, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2011.70
- H. Kim, Y. Lee, T. Woo and H. Kim, "Integration of vehicle and lane detection for forward collision warning system," 2016 IEEE 6th International Conference on Consumer Electronics - Berlin (ICCEBerlin), Berlin, pp. 5-8, 2016.
- M. Taha, H. H. Zayed, T. Nazmy and M. E. Khalifa, "Multi-Vehicle Tracking Under Day and Night Illumination," International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, Volume 5, Issue 11, November-2014.
- I. Sina, A. Wibisono, A. Nurhadiyatna, B. Hardjono, W. Jatmiko and P. Mursanto, "Vehicle counting and speed measurement using headlight detection," 2013 International Conference on Advanced Computer Science and Information Systems (ICACSIS), Bali, pp. 149-154, 2013.
- S. Zhou, J. Shen and L. Ying, "A night time application for a real-time vehicle detection algorithm based on computer vision," Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology 5.10, pp. 3037-3043, 2013. https://doi.org/10.19026/rjaset.5.4620
- R. O'Malley, E. Jones and M. Glavin, "Rear-Lamp Vehicle Detection and Tracking in Low-Exposure Color Video for Night Conditions," IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 11, no. 2, June 2010.
- E. Skodras, G. Siogkas, E. Dermatas and N. Fakotakis, "Rear lights vehicle detection for collision avoidance," 2012 19th International Conference on Systems, Signals and Image Processing (IWSSIP), Vienna, pp. 134-137, April, 2012.
- M. Rezaei, M. Terauchi and R. Klette, "Robust Vehicle Detection and Distance Estimation Under Challenging Lighting Conditions," IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 16, no. 5, October 2015.
- H. T. Chen, Y. C. Wu and C. C. Hsu, "Daytime Preceding Vehicle Brake Light Detection Using Monocular Vision," IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 16, no. 1, January, 2016.
- R. Zhang, "Robust Pedestrian and Vehicle Detection in Night Time using Headlight Beam Pattern and Color Model," M. S. Dissertation, Inha University, February, 2013.
- P. Dave, N. Mounika Gella, N. Saboo and A. Das, "A novel algorithm for night time vehicle detection even with one non-functional taillight by CIOF (color inherited optical flow)," International Conference on Pattern Recognition Systems (ICPRS-16), Talca, pp. 1-6, 2016.
- K. M. Jeong and B. C. Song, "Night time vehicle detection using rear-lamp intensity," 2016 IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics- Asia (ICCE-Asia), Seoul, South Korea, pp. 1-3, 2016.
- J. P. Lewis, "Fast Normalized Cross-Correlation," Vision Interface, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 120-123, 1995.
- D. Juric and S. Loncaric, "A method for on-road night-time vehicle headlight detection and tracking," 2014 International Conference on Connected Vehicles and Expo (ICCVE), Vienna, pp. 655-660, 2014.
- S. Eum and H. G. Jung, "Enhancing Light Blob Detection for Intelligent Headlight Control Using Lane Detection," in IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 1003-1011, June 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TITS.2012.2233736
- R. E. Kalman, "A new approach to linear filtering and prediction problems," ASME Transaction on Journal of basic Engineering, vol. 82, pp. 35-45, Mar. 1960. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3662552
- G. Welch and G. Bishop, "An introduction to the Kalman filter," Dept. Comput. Sci., Univ. North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, Tech. Rep. TR 95-041, 2003.
- Powers and D. Martin. "Evaluation: from precision, recall and F-measure to ROC, informedness, markedness and correlation.," 2011.