- Volume 6 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Channel-adaptive Image Compression for Wireless Transmission
- Lee, Yun-Gu (Department of Computer Software, Kwangwoon University) ;
- Lee, Ki-Hoon (Department of Computer Engineering, Kwangwoon University)
- Received : 2017.07.28
- Accepted : 2017.08.21
- Published : 2017.08.30
This paper presents computationally efficient image compression for wireless transmission of high-definition video, to adaptively utilize available channel bandwidth and improve image quality. The method indirectly predicts an unknown available channel bandwidth by monitoring encoder buffer status, and adaptively controls a quantization parameter to fully utilize the bandwidth. Experimental results show that the proposed method is robust to variations in channel bandwidth.
Supported by : Kwangwoon University
- Wi-Fi Certified Miracast: Extending the Wi-Fi experience to seamless video display, Wi-fi.org, Oct. 2013.
- X. Jing, L.-P. Chau, and W.-C. Siu, "Frame complexity-based rate-quantization model for H.264/AVC intraframe rate control," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol. 15, pp. 373-376, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/LSP.2008.920010
- D. K. Kwon, M-Y. Shen, C-C. J. Kuo, "Rate control for H,264 video with enhanced rate and distortion models," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 17, issue 5, pp. 517-529, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2007.894053
- Y. Liu, Z.G. Li, and Y. C. Soh, "Novel rate control scheme for low delay video communication of H.264/AVC standard," IEEE Transactions on Circuits Systems Video Technology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 68-78, Jan. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2006.887081
- J. Tasi, "Rate control for low delay video using a dynamic rate table," IEEE Transactions on Circuits Systems and Video Technology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 133-137, Jan. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2004.837015
- Y. G. Lee and B. C. Song, "An intra-frame rate control algorithm for ultralow delay H.264/Advanced Video Coding (AVC)," IEEE Transactions on Circuits Systems and Video Technology, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 747-752, May 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2009.2017413
- C. Gong and X.Wang, "Adaptive transmission for delay-constrained wireless video," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 13, issue 1, pp. 49- 61, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2013.112613.121033
- G. K. Wallace, "The JPEG Still Picture Compression Standard", Communications of the ACM, vol. 34, pp.30-44 1991
- ISO/IEC, Information Technology-Lossless and nearlossless compression of continuous-tone images- Baseline, ITU-T Recommendation T.87, 14495-1, 1998
- M. J. Weinberger, G. Sapiro, G. Seroussi, "The LOCO-I lossless image compression algorithm: principle and standardization into JPEGLS," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 13091324, 2000.
- ISO/IEC 15444-1, Information technology JPEG 2000 image coding system Part 1: Core coding system, 2000.
- F. Dufaux, G. J. Sullivan, and T. Ebrahimi, "The JPEG XR image coding standard", IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 26, issue 6, pp. 195199, 2009.
- Y. G Lee, B. C. Song, N. H. Kim, T. H. Kim, and W. H. Joo, "Low complexity near-lossless image coder for efficient bus traffic in very large size multimedia SoC," IEEE International Conference on Image Processing 2009, pp. 2329-2332, Nov. 2009.