- Volume 6 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Simple Contending-type MAC Scheme for Wireless Passive Sensor Networks: Throughput Analysis and Optimization
- Park, Jin Kyung (Department of Applied Computer Engineering, Dankook University) ;
- Seo, Heewon (Department of Applied Computer Engineering, Dankook University) ;
- Choi, Cheon Won (Department of Applied Computer Engineering, Dankook University)
- Received : 2017.04.18
- Accepted : 2017.05.29
- Published : 2017.08.30
A wireless passive sensor network is a network consisting of sink nodes, sensor nodes, and radio frequency (RF) sources, where an RF source transfers energy to sensor nodes by radiating RF waves, and a sensor node transmits data by consuming the received energy. Against theoretical expectations, a wireless passive sensor network suffers from many practical difficulties: scarcity of energy, non-simultaneity of energy reception and data transmission, and inefficiency in allocating time resources. Perceiving such difficulties, we propose a simple contending-type medium access control (MAC) scheme for many sensor nodes to deliver packets to a sink node. Then, we derive an approximate expression for the network-wide throughput attained by the proposed MAC scheme. Also, we present an approximate expression for the optimal partition, which maximizes the saturated network-wide throughput. Numerical examples confirm that each of the approximate expressions yields a highly precise value for network-wide throughput and finds an exactly optimal partition.
- O. Akan, M. Isik and B. Baykal, "Wireless Passive Sensor Networks," IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 47, no. 8, pp. 92-99, August 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2009.5181898
- P. Ghang, I. Jun, H. Seo, J. Ha, J. Park, and C. Choi, "Basic MAC Scheme Based on ALOHA for Wireless Passive Sensor Networks: Performance Analysis," Proceedings of IEIE/IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Information and Communication 2016, Da Nang, Vietnam, pp. 855-857, January 2016.
- C. Choi and H. Seo, "Elementary MAC Scheme Based on Slotted ALOHA for Wireless Passive Sensor Networks," Journal of IEIE, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 20-26, April 2016.
- C. Choi and H. Seo, "Optimal Design of Contendingtype MAC Scheme for Wireless Passive Sensor Networks," Journal of IEIE, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 29-36, June 2016.
- R. Rom and M. Sidi, Multiple Access Protocols: Performance and Analysis. Springer-Verlag, 1990.
- J. Cohen, The Single Server Queue. 2nd edition, North-Holland, 1982.
- H. Takagi, Queueing Analysis - A Foundation of Performance Analysis, Volume 3: Discrete-time Systems. North-Holland, 1993.
- P. Hoel, S. Port and C. Stone, Introduction to Stochastic Processes. Houghton Mifflin, 1972.
- H. Seo, J. Park, J. Ha, and C. Choi, "Method for Approximately Calculating Charging and Acting times in Wireless Passive Sensor Networks," Proceedings of IEIE Conference Fall 2015, Wonju, Korea, pp. 863-865, November 2015.