- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Hospice and Palliative Care in End Stage Liver Disease
말기 간질환 환자에서의 호스피스 완화의료
- Kim, Moon Young (Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University Wonju College of Medicine)
- 김문영 (연세대학교 원주의과대학 내과학교실)
- Received : 2017.08.07
- Accepted : 2017.08.08
- Published : 2017.09.01
End-stage liver disease (ESLD) is a terminal condition of cirrhosis which cannot be treated without liver transplantation. Thus, it is natural for patients to consider hospice/palliative care (HPC). Since the recent legislation of the Act on Decisions on Life-Sustaining Treatment for Patients in Hospice and Palliative Care or at the End of Life (Act No. 14013) in Korea, the practicality of this law has become an issue. The criteria for HPC should be defined with consideration to how the severity of each ESLD complication may vary by individual patients. Generally, patients qualify if they have an intractable condition despite aggressive treatment such as the hepatorenal syndrome, hepatic encephalopathy or variceal hemorrhage. However, the option of liver transplantation should be sufficiently discussed with patients and their families before making a decision on HPC. The evaluation of which ESLD patients should receive HPC should be based on a long-term doctor-patient relationship and sufficient objective data. Therefore, a multidisciplinary approach and mutual consultation among cirrhosis specialists and doctors with other expertise are essential to offer optimal and balanced treatments between liver-specific treatment and HPC. Discussed in this review are adequate criteria for HPC and special considerations for ESLD at the point of HPC.
- Stuart B. The NHO Medical Guidelines for Non-Cancer Disease and local medical review policy: hospice access for patients with diseases other than cancer. Hosp J 1999;14:139-54.
- Lynn J. Perspectives on care at the close of life. Serving patients who may die soon and their families: the role of hospice and other services. JAMA 2001;285:925-32. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.285.7.925
- Schuppan D, Afdhal NH. Liver cirrhosis. Lancet 2008;371:838-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(08)60383-9
- Ministry of Health and Welfare; Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2012 the 5th National health statistics: National nutrition survey. Sejong: Division of Health Policy, Ministry of Health and Welfare;2013.
- Korean Association for study of the Liver. White Paper on Liver Diseases in Korea. Seoul:Jin Publishing & Pringing Co.:2013.
- Statistics Korea. 2012 Annual report on the cause of death statistics. Daejeon:Statistics Korea;2013.
- Garcia-Tsao G, Friedman S, Iredale J, Pinzani M. Now there are many (stages) where before there was one: In search of a pathophysiological classification of cirrhosis. Hepatology 2010;51:1445-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.23478
- Kim MY, Cho MY, Baik SK, Park HJ, Jeon HK, Im CK, et al. Histological subclassification of cirrhosis using the Laennec fibrosis scoring system correlates with clinical stage and grade of portal hypertension. J Hepatol 2011;55:1004-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhep.2011.02.012
- Medici V, Rossaro L, Wegelin JA, Kamboj A, Nakai J, Fisher K, et al. The utility of the model for end-stage liver disease score: a reliable guide for liver transplant candidacy and, for select patients, simultaneous hospice referral. Liver Transpl 2008; 14:1100-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/lt.21398
- Suk KT, Baik SK, Yoon JH, Cheong JY, Paik YH, Lee CH, et al. Revision and update on clinical practice guideline for liver cirrhosis. Korean J Hepatol 2012;18:1-21. https://doi.org/10.3350/kjhep.2012.18.1.1
- Kim DJ, Choi MS. Life-sustaining treatment and palliative care in patients with liver cirrhosis-legal, ethical, and practical issues. Clin Mol Hepatol 2017;23:115-22. https://doi.org/10.3350/cmh.2017.0018
- Rush B, Walley KR, Celi LA, Rajoriya N, Brahmania M. Palliative care access for hospitalized patients with end stage liver disease across the United States. Hepatology In press 2017.
- Christakis NA, Lamont EB. Extent and determinants of error in doctors' prognoses in terminally ill patients: prospective cohort study. BMJ 2000;320:469-72. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.320.7233.469
- Brickner L, Scannell K, Marquet S, Ackerson L. Barriers to hospice care and referrals: survey of physicians' knowledge, attitudes, and perceptions in a health maintenance organization. J Palliat Med 2004;7:411-8. https://doi.org/10.1089/1096621041349518
- Kim SY. Introduction to hospice palliative medicine. J Korean Med Assoc 2008;51:505-8. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2008.51.6.505
- Brown J, Sorrell JH, McClaren J, Creswell JW. Waiting for a liver transplant. Qual Health Res 2006;16:119-36. https://doi.org/10.1177/1049732305284011
- Rossaro L, Troppmann C, McVicar JP, Sturges M, Fisher K, Meyers FJ. A strategy for the simultaneous provision of preoperative palliative care for patients awaiting liver transplantation. Transpl Int 2004;17:473-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1432-2277.2004.tb00473.x