- Volume 13 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
CPU Scheduling with a Round Robin Algorithm Based on an Effective Time Slice
- Tajwar, Mohammad M. (Dept. of Computer Science, International Islamic University of Malaysia) ;
- Pathan, Md. Nuruddin (Dept. of Computer Science, International Islamic University of Malaysia) ;
- Hussaini, Latifa (Dept. of Computer Science, International Islamic University of Malaysia) ;
- Abubakar, Adamu (Dept. of Computer Science, International Islamic University of Malaysia)
- Received : 2017.01.25
- Accepted : 2017.06.10
- Published : 2017.08.31
The round robin algorithm is regarded as one of the most efficient and effective CPU scheduling techniques in computing. It centres on the processing time required for a CPU to execute available jobs. Although there are other CPU scheduling algorithms based on processing time which use different criteria, the round robin algorithm has gained much popularity due to its optimal time-shared environment. The effectiveness of this algorithm depends strongly on the choice of time quantum. This paper presents a new effective round robin CPU scheduling algorithm. The effectiveness here lies in the fact that the proposed algorithm depends on a dynamically allocated time quantum in each round. Its performance is compared with both traditional and enhanced round robin algorithms, and the findings demonstrate an improved performance in terms of average waiting time, average turnaround time and context switching.
Supported by : International Islamic University of Malaysia (IIUM)
- B. Kim, C. H. Youn, Y. S. Park, Y. Lee, and W. Choi, "An adaptive workflow scheduling scheme based on an estimated data processing rate for next generation sequencing in cloud computing," Journal of Information Processing Systems, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 555-566, 2012. https://doi.org/10.3745/JIPS.2012.8.4.555
- S. M. Khorandi and M. Sharifi, "Scheduling of online compute-intensive synchronized jobs on high performance virtual clusters," Journal of Computer and System Sciences, vol. 85, pp. 1-17, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcss.2016.10.009
- C. Rani and M. M. Bala, "Comparison of round robin based CPU scheduling algorithms," International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer and Communication Engineering, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 28-33, 2015.
- E. Hyytia and S. Aalto, "On round-robin routing with FCFS and LCFS scheduling," Performance Evaluation, vol. 97, pp. 83-103, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.peva.2016.01.002
- F. Jafari, A. Jantsch, and Z. Lu, "Weighted round robin configuration for worst-case delay optimization in network-on-chip," IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 3387-3400, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVLSI.2016.2556007
- K. Mahajan, A. Makroo, and D. Dahiya, "Round robin with server affinity: a VM load balancing algorithm for cloud based infrastructure," Journal of Information Processing Systems, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 379- 394, 2013. https://doi.org/10.3745/JIPS.2013.9.3.379
- R. V. Rasmussen and M. A. Trick, "Round robin scheduling: a survey," European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 188, no. 3, pp. 617-636, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2007.05.046
- A. Bisht, M. A. Ahad, and S. Sharma, "Enhanced round robin algorithm for process scheduling using varying quantum precision," in Proceedings of ICRIEST AICEEMCS, Pune, India, 2013, pp. 11-15.
- D. Nayak, S. K. Malla, and D. Debadarshini, "Improved round robin scheduling using dynamic time quantum," International Journal of Computer Applications, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 34-38, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5120/4607-6816
- L. Datta, "Efficient round robin scheduling algorithm with dynamic time slice," International Journal of Education and Management Engineering, vol. 2, pp. 10-19, 2015.
- R. K. Yadav, A. K. Mishra, N. Prakash, and H. Sharma, "An improved round robin scheduling algorithm for CPU scheduling," International Journal of Computer Science and Engineering, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 1064-1066, 2010.
- M. K. Mishra and F. Rashid, "An improved round robin CPU scheduling algorithm with varying time quantum," International Journal of Computer Science, Engineering and Applications, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 1-8, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5121/ijcsea.2014.4401
- A. Noon, A. Kalakech, and S. Kadry, "A new round robin based scheduling algorithm for operating systems: dynamic quantum using the mean average," International Journal of Computer Science Issues, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 224-229, 2011.
- R. Mohanty, S. R. Behera, and S. C. Pradhan, "A priority based dynamic round robin with deadline (PBDRRD) scheduling algorithm for hard real time operating system," International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 186-192, 2012.
- C. McGuire and J. Lee, "Comparisons of improved round robin algorithms," in Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science, San Francisco, CA, 2014, pp. 1-4.
- M. Lee, S. Song, J. Moon, J. Kim, W. Seo, Y. Cho, and S. Ryu, "Improving GPGPU resource utilization through alternative thread block scheduling," in Proceedings of 2014 IEEE 20th International Symposium on High Performance Computer Architecture (HPCA), Orlando, FL, 2014, pp. 260-271.
- H. S. Behera, R. Mohanty, and D. Nayak, "A new proposed dynamic quantum with re-adjusted round robin scheduling algorithm and its performance analysis," International Journal of Computer Applications, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 10-15, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5120/913-1291
- R. J. Matarneh, "Self-adjustment time quantum in round robin algorithm depending on burst time of the now running processes," American Journal of Applied Science, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 1831-1837, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3844/ajassp.2009.1831.1837
- N. Mittal, K. Garg, and A. Ameria, "A paper on modified round robin algorithm," International Journal of Latest Technology in Engineering, Management & Applied Science, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 93-98, 2015.
- Y. Liang, "A simple and effective scheduling mechanism using minimized cycle round robin," in Proceedings of 2002 IEEE International Conference on Communications, New York, NY, 2002, pp. 2384-2388.