- Volume 21 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Performance analysis of private multimedia caching network based on wireless local area network
WLAN 기반 개인형 멀티미디어 캐싱 네트워크 성능 분석
- Ban, Tae-Won (Department of Information and Communication Engineering, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Kim, Seong Hwan (Department of Information and Communication Engineering, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Ryu, Jongyeol (Department of Information and Communication Engineering, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Lee, Woongsup (Department of Information and Communication Engineering, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2017.06.27
- Accepted : 2017.07.10
- Published : 2017.08.31
In this paper, we propose a private multimedia caching scheme based on wireless local area network (WLAN) to improve the quality of service for high capacity and high quality multimedia streaming services which are recently increasing and to reduce the traffic load of core networks. The proposed caching scheme stores multimedia in the storage device mounted on WLAN APs and provides streaming services on its own without Internet connection in accordance with the request from clients. We have implemented a test network based on real commercial networks and measured the performance of the proposed caching scheme in terms of frames per second (FPS) and buffering time. According to the performance measurement results, the proposed caching scheme can reduce the average buffering time by 73.3% compared to the conventional streaming scheme. In addition, the proposed caching scheme can also improve the average FPS by 71.3% compared to the conventional streaming scheme.
Grant : A research on a novel communication system using storage as wireless communication resource
Supported by : IITP
- Cisco, Visual Networking Index: Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast Update, 2016-2021, Whitepaper, 2017 [Internet]. Available:https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/service-provider/visual-networking-index-vni/mobile-white-paper-c11-520862.html.
- G. Caire, The Role of Caching in 5G Wireless Networks, invited talk in IEEE ICC 2013 [Internet]. Available: http://icc2013.ieee-icc.org/3_caire_icc-invited-talk-2013.pdf.
- D. Giordano, S. Traverso1, L. Grimaudo, M. Mellia, E. Baralis, A. Tongaonkar, and S. Saha, "YouLighter: A cognitive approach to unveil YouTube CDN and changes," IEEE Transactions on Cognitive Communications and Networking, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 161-174, Jun. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCCN.2016.2517004
- J. Son, Content networking trends: OTT, Global CDN and Operator, [Internet]. Available: http://www.netmanias.com/en/post/reports/6015/cdn-google-netflix-ott-transparent-cache-youtube/2013-content-networking-trends-ott-global-cdn-and-operator-cdn.
- X. Cai, S. Zhang, and Y. Zhang, "Economic analysis of cache location in mobile network," in Proceedings of the IEEE WCNC, Shanghai, China, pp. 1243-1248, Apr. 2013.
- X. Wang, M. Chen, T. Taleb, A. Ksentini, and V. C. M. Leung, "Cache in the air: Exploiting content caching and delivery techniques for 5G systems," IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 131-139, Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2014.6736753
- S. H. Chae and W. Choi, "Caching placement in stochastic wireless caching helper networks: Channel selection diversity via caching," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 6626-6637, Oct. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2016.2586841
- B. Hong and W. Choi, "Optimal storage allocation for wireless cloud caching systems with a limited sum storage capacity," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 6010-6021, Sep. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2016.2577025