- Volume 22 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Life cycle impact assessment of the environmental infrastructures in operation phase: Case of an industrial waste incineration plant
- Kim, Hyeong-Woo (BK 21 Plus Ulsan Eco-industrial Park Project Team, University of Ulsan) ;
- Kim, Kyeong-Ho (Green Manufacturing 3Rs R&D Group, Ulsan Regional Division, KITECH) ;
- Park, Hung-Suck (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Ulsan)
- Received : 2016.08.30
- Accepted : 2017.02.14
- Published : 2017.09.30
A life cycle impact assessment was applied in an industrial waste incineration plant to evaluate the direct and indirect environmental impacts based on toxicity and non-toxicity categories. The detailed life cycle inventory of material and energy inputs and emission outputs was compiled based on the realistic data collected from a local industrial waste incineration plant, and the Korean life cycle inventory and ecoinvent database. The functional unit was the treatment of 1 tonne of industrial waste by incineration and the system boundary included the incineration plant and landfilling of ash. The result on the variation of the impact by the unit processes showed that the direct impact was decreased by 79.3, 71.6, and 90.1% for the processes in a semi dry reactor, bag filter, and wet scrubber, respectively. Considering the final impact produced from stack, the toxicity categories comprised 91.7% of the total impact. Among the toxicity impact categories, the impact in the eco-toxicity category was most significant. A separate estimation of the impact due to direct and indirect emissions showed that the direct impact was 97.7% of the total impact. The steam recovered from the waste heat of the incineration plant resulted in a negative environmental burden.
Supported by : Ministry of Land Transport and Maritime Affairs
- Standard ISO. Environmental management - Life cycle assessment- Principles and framework. ISO; 2006.
- Chester MV, Horvath A. Environmental assessment of passenger transportation should include infrastructure and supply chains. Environ. Res. Lett. 2009;4:1-8.
- Horvath A, Hendrickson C. Steel versus steel-reinforced concrete bridges: Environmental assessment. J. Infrastruct. Syst. 1998;4:111-117. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1076-0342(1998)4:3(111)
- Ochoa L, Hendrickson C, Matthews HS. Economic input-output life-cycle assessment of U.S. residential buildings. J. Infrastruct. Syst. 2002;8:132-138. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1076-0342(2002)8:4(132)
- Keoleian GA, Kendall A, Chandler RF, Helfand GE, Lepech MD. Life cycle model for evaluating the sustainability of concrete infrastructure systems. In: 9th International Conference on Structural Safety and Reliability Proceedings; 20-23 June 2005; Rome, Italy: Millpress; 2005. p. 19-23.
- Bilec MM, Ries RJ, Matthews HS. Life-cycle assessment modeling of construction processes for buildings. J. Infrastruct. Syst. 2010;16:199-205. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)IS.1943-555X.0000022
- Sharrard AL, Matthews HS, Ries RJ. Estimating construction project environmental effects using an input-output-based hybrid life-cycle assessment model. J. Infrastruct. Syst. 2008;14: 327-336. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1076-0342(2008)14:4(327)
- Kato H, Shibahara N, Osaba M, Hayashi Y. A life cycle assessment for evaluating environmental impacts of inter-regional high speed mass transit projects. J. East Asia Soc. Transport Stud. 2005;6:3211-3224.
- Treloar GJ, Love PED, Crawford RH. Hybrid life-cycle inventory for road construction and use. J. Constr. Eng. M. ASCE. 2004;130:43-49. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(2004)130:1(43)
- Miliutenko S. Literature review: Assessment of energy use and greenhouse gas emissions generated by transport infrastructure. KTH (Environmental Strategies Research), Stockholm; 2010.
- Tillman AM, Svingby M, Lundostrom H. Life cycle assessment of municipal wastewater systems. Int. J. Life Cycle Assess. 1998;3:145-157. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02978823
- Lundin M, Bergtsson M, Molander S. Life cycle assessment of wastewater systems: Influence of system boundaries and scale on calculated environmental loads. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2000;34:180-186. https://doi.org/10.1021/es990003f
- Lim SR, Park DH, Park JM. Environmental and economic feasibility study of a total wastewater treatment network system. J. Environ. Manage. 2008;88:564-575. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2007.03.022
- Renou S, Thomas JS, Aoustin E, Pons MN. Influence of impact assessment methods in wastewater treatment LCA. J. Clean. Prod. 2008;16:1098-1105. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2007.06.003
- Finnveden G. Methodological aspects of life cycle assessment of integrated solid waste management systems. Resour. Conserv. Recy. 1999;26:173-187. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-3449(99)00005-1
- Diaz R, Warith M. Life cycle assessment of municipal solid wastes: Development of the WASTED model. Waste Manage. 2006;26:886-901. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2005.05.007
- Su J, Chiueh P, Hung M, Ma H. Analyzing policy impact potential for municipal solid waste management decision-making: A case study of Taiwan. Resour. Conserv. Recy. 2007;51:418-434. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2006.10.007
- Winkler J, Bilitewski B. Comparative evaluation of life cycle assessment models for solid waste management. Waste Manage. 2007;27:1021-1031. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2007.02.023
- Manfredi S, Christensen TH. Environmental assessment of solid waste landfilling technologies by means of LCAmodelling. Waste Manage. 2009;29:32-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2008.02.021
- Graedel TE, Allenby BR. Industrial ecology. 2nd ed. New Jersy: Prentice Hall; 2003.
- Jay K, Stieglitz L. Identification and quantification of volatile organic components in emissions of waste incineration plants. Chemosphere 1995;30:1249-1260. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-6535(95)00021-Y
- Mocarelli P, Gerthoux PM, Ferrari E, et al. Paternal concentrations of dioxin and sex ratio of offspring. The Lancet 2000;355:1858-1863. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(00)02290-X
- AENews. Negative impacts of incineration-based waste-to-energy technology [Internet]. AENews; c2016 [cited 16 November 2016]. Available from: http://www.alternative-energy-news.info/negative-impacts-waste-to-energy/.
- Kim HW, Kim KH, Park HS. Environmental impact evaluation and improvement measure of incineration plant by life cycle assessment. J. Korea Org. Resour. Recy. Assoc. 2013;21:86-98 (in Korean).
- Song KK, Choi BC. Combustion engineering. Seoul; Cheong Moon Gak publisher; 2005 (in Korean).
- Gomez DR, et al. Stationary combustion. In: Eggleston S, Buendia L, Miwa K, Ngara T, Tanabe K, eds. IGES. Hayama; 2006. p. 16-17.
- KEMCO (Korea Energy Management Corporation). Conversion factor of air pollutant emissions from energy source [Internet]. KEMCO; c2015 [cited 11 October 2015]. Available from: http://www.kemco.or.kr/up_load/weather/pds/PDS00098_2002525_001. htm.
- Park GH, Kim BH, Lee ES. Pilot plant operation for incineration flue gas treatment by SDA (Spray Dryer Absorption). J. Korea Soc. Waste Manage. 2001;18:161-171 (in Korean).
- Ryu HY, Kim MC, Jung JH, Lee GW, Chung JD. A study on NOx removal efficiency using SNCR process in the industrial waste incineration plant. Korea J. Environ. Health 2005;31: 332-339 (in Korean).
- KEITI (Korea Environmental Industry and Technology Institute). Korea LCI database information network [Internet]. KEITI; c2015 [cited 15 December 2015]. Available from: http://www.edp.or.kr/en/lci/lci_intro.asp.
- Swiss centre for life cycle inventories. Ecoinvent databases Data V2.01 [Internet]. Ecoinvent; c2015 [cited 20 November 2015]. Available from: http://db.ecoinvent.org/ ecoquery.
- Lee KM. A weighting method for the Korean eco-indicator. Int. J. Life Cycle Ass. 1999;4:161-165. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02979451
- Heo YC, Suh SW, Ha SS, Lee KM. Determination of normalization value for Korean eco-indicator. J. Korea Soc. Life Cycle Assess. 2000;4:24-35 (in Korean).
- Uh SG, Kim JW, Han KB, Kim CW. Life cycle impacts of flexible-fiber deep-bed filter compared to sand-filter including coagulation and sedimentation in water treatment plant. Environ. Eng. Res. 2008;13:1-9. https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2008.13.1.001
- PRe Consultants. LCA Learning Library [Internet]. PRe Consultants; c2015 [cited 10 November 2015]. Available from: https://www.pre-sustainability.com/lca-learning-library.
- Amorim C, Sgps S. Evaluation of the environmental impacts of cork stoppers versus aluminum and plastic closures- Analysis of the life cycle of cork, aluminum and plastic wine closures. Price water house coopers/Ecobilan; 2008 October.
- Tahkamo L, Martinsons C, Ravel P, Grannec F, Zissis G. Solid state lighting annex: Life cycle assessment of solid state lighting. International Energy Agency 4E Solid State Lighting Annex Task 1; 2014.
- Vince F, Aoustin E, Bréant P, Marechal F. LCA tool for the environmental evaluation of potable water production. Desalination 2008;220:37-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2007.01.021
- Scipioni A, Mazzi A, Niero M, Boatto T. LCA to choose among alternative design solutions: The case study of a new Italian incineration line. Waste Manage. 2009;29:2463-2474.
- Fruergaard T, Hyks J, Astrup T. Life-cycle assessment of selected management options for air pollution control residues from waste incineration. Sci. Total Environ. 2010;408:4672-4680. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2010.05.029
- Riber, C, Bhander GS, Hauschild M, Christensen TH. Environmental assessment of waste incineration in a life-cycle- perspective (EASEWASTE). Waste Manage. Res. 2008;26: 96-103. https://doi.org/10.1177/0734242X08088583
- Morselli L, Robertis CD, Luzi J, Passarini F, Vassura I. Environmental impacts of waste incineration in a regional system (Emilia Romagna, Italy) evaluated from a life cycle perspective. J. Hazard. Mater. 2008;159:505-511. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2008.02.047
- Fruergaard T, Astrup T. Optimal utilization of waste-to-energy in an LCA perspective. Waste Manage. 2011;31:572-582. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2010.09.009
- Damgaard A, Riber C, Fruergaard T, Hulgaard T, Christensen TH. Life-cycle-assessment of the historical development of air pollution control and energy recovery in waste incineration. Waste Manage. 2010;30:1244-1250. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2010.03.025
- Scipioni A, Mastrobuono M, Mazzi A, Manzardo A. Voluntary GHG management using a life cycle approach - A case study. J. Clean Prod. 2010;18:299-306. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2009.10.007
- Liamsanguan C, Gheewala SH. LCA: A decision support tool for environmental assessment of MSW management systems. J. Environ. Manage. 2008;87:132-138. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2007.01.003
- Cha JH, et al. Energy total solutions, Seoul: Korea Energy Information Center; 2003 (in Korean).
- Park HS. Practical experiences from eco-industrial park project in Ulsan, Republic of Korea. Presented in UNIDO Green Industry Forum @ Shanghai World Exposition. Shanghai, China; 24 May 2010.
- Analysis of environmental impact of activated carbon production from wood waste vol.24, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2018.104