- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Single Phase PWM Converter For High-Speed Railway Propulsion System Using Discontinuous PWM
불연속 변조 기법을 이용한 고속철도 추진제어장치용 단상 PWM 컨버터
- Song, Min-Sup (Technical Standard Team, Korea Railroad Research Institute)
- Received : 2017.05.22
- Accepted : 2017.07.05
- Published : 2017.08.31
In this paper, for high speed railway propulsion systems, a single phase PWM Converter using discontinuous PWM (DPWM) was investigated. The conventional PWM Converter uses a low frequency modulation index of less than 10 to reduce switching losses due to high power characteristics, which results in low control frequency bandwidth and requires an additional compensation method. To solve these problems, the DPWM method, which is commonly used in three phase PWM Inverters, was adopted to a single phase PWM Converter. The proposed method was easily implemented using offset voltage techniques. Method can improve the control performance by doubling the frequency modulation index for the same switching loss, and can also bring the same dynamic characteristics among switches. Proposed DPWM method was verified by simulation of 100 kW PWM converter.
Supported by : 한국철도기술연구원
- K. Jia (2012) High frequency model of electrified railway propulsion system for EMC analysis, PhD Thesis, KTH School of Electrical Enginerring.
- H.C. Kim, J.H. Choi (2007) A study of control algorithm for propulsion systems, Journal of Korean Society Railway, 10(1), pp. 51-56.
- B.G Park, D.S. Hyun (2010) An improved feed-forward controller for the parallel operation of a single-phase PWM converter in highspeed trains, Transactions of Korean Institution of Power Electronics, 15(2), pp.226-234. https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2010.15.3.226
- A. Schonung, H. Stemmler (1964) Static frequency changers with subharmonic control in conjuction with reversible variable speed AC drives, Brown Boveri Review, pp.555-577.
- O. Ojo (2004) The generalized discontinuous PWM scheme for three-phase voltage source inverter, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 51(6), pp.1280-1289. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2004.837919
- D.W. Chung, J.S. Kim, S.K. Sul (1998) Unified voltage modulation technique for real-time three-phase power conversion, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 34(2), pp.374-380. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.663482
- J. Holtz (1994) Pulsewidth modulation for electric power conversion, Proceeding of IEEE, 82(8), pp.1194-1214. https://doi.org/10.1109/5.301684
- M. Depenbrock (1975) Pulsewidth control of a 3-phase inverter with non-sinosoidal phase voltages, IEEE International Semiconductor Power Conversion Conference, Orlando, FL, pp.399-403.
- V. Blasko (1997) Analysis of a hybrid PWM based on modified space-vector and triangle-comparison methods, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 33(3), pp.756-764. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.585866
- A. Hava, R. J. Kerkman, T. A. Lipo (1998) A high performance generalized discontinuous PWM algorthim, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 34(5), pp.1059-1071. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.720446
- X.J. Yang, H. Qu, H.J. Tang, C. Yao, et al. (2014) Research on discontinuous pulse width modulation algorithm for single-phase voltage source rectifier, Journal of International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems, 3(4), pp.433-445. https://doi.org/10.11142/jicems.2014.3.4.433
- N. Mohan, T. M. Undeland, W. P. Robbins (2003) Power electronics-converters, Applicaitons and Design, Wiley, NY, pp.243-244.
- D. M. Sajnekar, S. B. Deshpande, R. M. Mohril (2013) Comparison of pole placement & pole zero cancellation method for tuning PID controller of a digital excitation control system, International Journal of Scientific and Research Publication, 3(4), pp.1-7.
- S.H. Kim (2007) Motor control, Bogdoo publisher, pp.80-87.
- S. K. Sul (2011) Control of electric machine drive system, Piscataway, NJ:IEEE Press, pp.161-170.
- J. S. Kim (2014) Development of the zero-phase-error speed controller for high performance PMSM drives, The Transactions of the Korean Institute of Power Electronics, 19 (2), pp.184-193. https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2014.19.2.184
- D.M. Lee, C.H. Hong (2009) Modeling of SVPWM and control method for driving systems of high-speed trains by using multi-level power converters, Journal of the Korean Institute of Illuminating and Electrical Installation Engineering, 23(12), pp.136-145. https://doi.org/10.5207/JIEIE.2009.23.12.136
- R. Teodorescu, F. Blaabjerg, M. Liserre, P. C. Loh (2006) Proportional-resonant controllers and filters for grid-connected voltagesource converters, IEE Proceeding Electric Power Applications, 153(5), pp.750-762.
- J.M. Lee, S.J. Jang, S.H. Song, C.Y. Won, K.B. Ahn, J.G. Lee (2004) A Study on DC Power Regeneration for Railway using Parallel PWM Converter, Power Electronics Annual Conference, Danyang, Korea, pp.524-527.
- https://powersimtech.com/support/resources/tutorials/thermal-module-igbt-loss-calculation/ (Accessed 22 August 2017)
- https://powersimtech.com/support/resources/video-library/use-psim-dll-block/ (Accessed 22 August 2017)