- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on Reliability Demonstration for Railway Signaling Equipment
철도신호장치의 신뢰도입증에 관한 연구
- Shin, Duck-ho (Railroad Safety Research Division, Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Chae, Eunkyung (Railroad Safety Research Division, Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Park, Chan-woo (Railroad Safety Research Division, Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Lee, June-Seok (Railroad Safety Research Division, Korea Railroad Research Institute)
- Received : 2017.05.11
- Accepted : 2017.07.17
- Published : 2017.08.31
The railway signaling system, which controls the course of trains and the distance between trains, is a safety critical system of the railway system because derailment or collision of trains can occur if unsafe failure is generated by any fault. The international standards of reliability, availability, maintainability, and safety of railway applications require that the safety of functions be guaranteed in safety critical systems; system reliability and safety are quantitatively estimated and demonstrated by the failure rates of devices. The development of technology has accelerated the development of railway signaling systems. Existing devices, which have already been verified as to their safety, are applied with special user requirements to reflect the new operation scenario. It is found that the reliability and safety of the devices are different depending on individual application. Therefore, the reliability of the railway signaling system must be considered while complying with the international standards; this requires that the initial failure rate be estimated and demonstrated using fault data gathered over several years. This paper shows a method for demonstrating the initial estimated failure rate and suggests a fault data collection method and an overall process that is based on probability.
Supported by : 한국철도기술연구원
- International Electronical Committee (2002) Railway application-specification and demonstration of RAMS, International Standard, IEC 62278:2002.
- D.H. Shin (2017) Korea railroad safety certification status and future outlook, Railway Journal, 20(1), pp. 66-72.
- The Rome Laboratory (1993) Reliability engineer's toolkit, Air Force Materiel Command, pp.89-92.
- United States Department of Defense (1980) Reliability program for systems and equipment development and production, Military Standard, MIL-STD-785B, Task 104.
- D.H. Shin, J.H. Lee, K.H. Shin, Y.K. Kim, M.S. Kang (2009) A study on the assessment of residual life span for old type signalling equipment, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 12(4), pp. 535-541.
- D.H. Shin, J.H. Lee, K.M. Lee, Y.K. Kim (2006) A study on design and reliability assessment for embedded hot-standby sparing FT system using self-checking logic, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 9(6), pp. 725-731.
- Korea Rail Network Authority (2016) Pyeongchang-gangneung line train control system(ATP) manufacturing installation specification.
- A.M. Law, W.D. Kelton (1991) Simulation modelling and analysis, McGraw-Hill, pp. 282-324.
- D.H. Shin, J.H. Lee, K.M. Lee, Y.K. Kim (2006) A study on reliability prediction for Korea high speed train control system, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 9(6), pp. 419-424.