- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Development of Structural Model for Turnover Intention of Railroad Traffic Controller
철도교통관제사의 이직의도에 관한 구조모형 개발
- Shin, DongHee (Korea National University of Transportation) ;
- Jin, JangWon (Korea National University of Transportation)
- Received : 2017.06.26
- Accepted : 2017.08.22
- Published : 2017.08.31
This study was conducted to analyze the turnover intentions of railway traffic controllers among employees of a domestic railway corporation. Variables influencing job turnover intention included exploited variables (empowerment, job stress, job satisfaction, organizational commitment, exhaustion) that have been actively studied in other fields. The results showed that the empowerment of railway traffic controllers did not directly affect job stress and turnover intention, but had a direct effect on job satisfaction, organizational commitment, and exhaustion. Job stress did not directly affect job satisfaction, organizational commitment, and exhaustion, and job satisfaction did not directly affect organizational commitment, burnout, and turnover intentions. Burnout has a direct effect on turnover intention, indicating that exhaustion of railroad traffic controllers has an effect on turnover intentions. In conclusion, empowerment has a direct effect on burnout and exhaustion has a direct effect on turnover intention. This study suggests that management of empowerment and exhaustion is important for the prevention of turnover of railway traffic controllers.
- Ministry of land (2013) Research report on improvement of qualification system for railway workers, Ministry of land.
- J.Y. Kim, I. Kim (2014) An analysis of the Relationship between railway dispatchers' stress factors and job statisfacation levels, Journal of Korean Society for Railway, 17(2), pp 148-155. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2014.17.2.148
- D.C. Kinlaw (1995) The practive of empowermnet : making the most of human competence. Hampshire: Gower.
- S.J. Jang (2003) Factors influencing empowermnet of social workers in public sector, PhD Thesis, Yonsei Universty.
- G.M. Spreitzer (1995) Psychological empowerment in the workplace, Academy of Management Journal, 38(5), pp 1442-1465. https://doi.org/10.2307/256865
- O.H. Gu (2000) Clincial nurses's perception of empowerment Structural Model in Nursing Organization, PhD Thesis, Chungnam National University.
- I.W. Kim (2005) Structural model of leadership in chief nurse. PhD Thesis, Kyung Hee University.
- J.S. Kim (2006) A Study on the relationship between hotel employees' role stress, Stress and Burnout, PhD Thesis, Kyonggi University.
- R.E. Viator (2001) The association of formal & informal public accounting mentoring with Role Stress & Related Job Outcome. Accounting Organization & Society, 26, Issue 1, pp. 79-93.
- R.W. Griffin, G. Moorhead (2011) Orgnizational behavior, Cengage Learning.
- A.A. Abdel-Halim (1981) Effects of role stress-job design-technology interaction on employee work satisfaction, Academy of Management Journal, 24(2), pp. 260-273. https://doi.org/10.2307/255840
- D.F. Parker, T.A. DeCotiis (1983) Organizational determinants of Job stress, Organizational behavior and human performance, 32(2), pp. 160-177. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(83)90145-9
- T.J. Fogaty, J. Singh, G.K. Rhoads, R.K. Moore (2000) Antecedents and consequences of burnout in accounting: beyond the role stress model, Behavioral Research in Accounting, 12, pp. 31-67.
- I.C. Huang, C.H.J. Chuang, H.C. Lin (2005) The role of burnout in the relationship between perception of organizational politics and turnover intentions, Public Personnel Management, 32(4), pp. 519-531. https://doi.org/10.1177/009102600303200404
- E.A. Locke (1976) The nature and cause of job satisfaction, Handbook of Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- J.W. Mills (1982) Coping with stress: A guide to living, Wiley.
- Vroom (1964) Work and motivation, New york : John Wiley and Sons, 25, pp. 115-127.
- C.P. Adlerfer (1967) Convergent discriminant validation of satisfaction and desire measure by interview and questionnaires, Journal of Applied Psychology, 51(6), pp. 509-519. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0025101
- A.M. Pines, G. Keinan (2005) Stress and burnout: the signification difference, Personality and Individual Differences, 39(3), pp. 623-635.
- A. Pizam, S.W. Thornburg (2000) Absenteeism and voluntary turnover in central Florida hotels: A pilot study, International Journal of Hospitality Management, 19(2), pp. 211-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-4319(00)00011-6
- K.J. Choi (2007) Factors influencing burnout of nurses, M.A Thesis, Kyung Hee University.
- C.H. Schwepker (2001) Ethical climate's relationship to job satisfaction, organizational commitment, and turnover intention in the salesforce, Journal of Business Research, 54(1), pp. 39-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(00)00125-9
- C. Maslach, S.E. Jackson (1996) Leiter MP maslach burnout inventory manual, Palo Alto.
- C.M. Brotheridge, Grandey, A.A. (2002) Emotional labor and bornout: comparing two perspectives of 'Peole Work', Journal of Vocational Behavior, 60(1), pp. 17-39. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.2001.1815
- S.Y. Yoon (2010) A Study on the emotional labor, burnout and turnover intention of airline call center workers, Journal of Korea Navigation Institute, 14(1), pp. 1-10.
- J.H. Park (2009) The effect of job sterss on burnout and job satisfaction and turnover intention for hotel employee, Journal of Hotel & Resort, 8(2), pp 137-154.
- T.S. Kim (2013) Eeffect of KTX attendants' emotional labor on emotional exhaustion and turnover Intention, Journal of The Korea Sociey for Railway, 16(1), pp. 71-77. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2013.16.1.071
- J.E. Yoon (2009) A development of evaluation model for tourist's a quality of service using structural equation, Korea National University of Transportation.
- M.J. Lankau, D.S. Carlson, T.R. Nielson (2006) The modeling influence of Role stressors in the relationship between mentoring and job attitudes, Journal of Vocational Behavior, 68(2), pp. 308-322. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2005.06.001
- T.A. Beehr, J.E. Newman (1978) Job stress, employee health, and organizational effectiveness : A fact analysis, model, and literature review, Personnel Psychology, 31(4), pp. 659-699.
- E.J. MacCormick, D.R. Llgen (1983) Industrial Psychology, Allen & Unwin.
- D.B. Slavitts, P.L. Stamps, E.B. Piedmont, A.M. Haase (1977) Nurses' satisfaction with their work situation, Nursing Research, 27(2), pp. 114-120.
- S.O. Park (2004) A study on the factors affecting the organizational commitment of Nurses, Kyung Hee University.
- R.T. Moday, R.M. Steers, L.W. Porter (1979) The measurement of organizational commitment, Journal of Vocational Behavior, 14(2), pp. 224-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-8791(79)90072-1
- C.C. Clark (1980) Burnout: assessment & intervention, Journal of Nursing Administration, 10(9), pp. 39-44.
- A.M. Pines, E. Aronson, D. Kafry (1981) Burnout from tedium to personal growth, New York: A Division of Macmillan Publishing Co.
- S.J. Kim (2007) An investigation on the burnout degree and copying strategies of some clinical nurses working in Seul, The Catholic University of Korea.
- R.P. Tett, J.P. Meyer (1993) Job satisfaction, organizational commitment, Turnover intention, and turnover: path analyses base on metaanalytic findings, Personnel Psychology, 46(2), pp. 259-293. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1993.tb00874.x
- W.H. Mobley (1982) Employee turnover, causes, consequences, and control, Addison-Wesley.
- J.H. Steiger (1990) Structural model evaluation and modification: Multivariate Behavioral Research, 25(2), pp. 173-180. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327906mbr2502_4