- Volume 17 Issue 9
The purpose of study was to ascertain whether Facebook users present themselves positively on Facebook. Also this study examined whether factors of self-efficacy, narcissism, and public/private self-consciousness affected positive self-presentation. The subjects for the study included 197 users who have been using Facebook. The analysis of behavioral attributes such as self-display, competency display, exemplary behavior display, etc, did not yield statistically high values to support users' positive self-presentation on Facebook. The results showed that self-efficacy, narcissism, and public self-consciousness have statistically significant influence on positive self-presentation. The study found that private self-consciousness did not have statistically significant influence on positive self-representation.
Self-presentation;Facebook;Social Network Service(SNS);Positive Self-presentation
Supported by : 수원대학교
- 김재휘, 박유진, 인터넷상에서의 자아인식과 집단인식, 정보통신정책연구원, 2004.
- 노기영, "개인 웹페이지 표현양식에 대한 자아의 식의 효과," 한국언론학보, 제46권, 제2호, pp.279-309, 2002.
- M. Sirgy and C. Su, "Destination image, self-congruence, and travel behavior: toward an intergrative mode," Journal of Travel Research, No.38, pp.340-352, 2000.
- E. Christofides, A. Muise, and S. Dermarais, "Information disclosure and control on facebook: Are they two sides of the same coin or two different process?," Cyberpsychology and Behavior, Vol.12, No.3, pp.341-345, 2015.
- M. Leary and R. Kowalski, "Impression management: a literature review and two-factor model," Psychological Bulletin, No.107, pp.34-47, 1990.
- D. Taylor and I. Altman, "Self-disclosure as a function of reward-cost outcomes," Sociometry, No.38, pp.18-31, 1975.
- C. Turner and H. Reynolds, "The social identity perspective in intergroup relations: theories, themes, and controversies," Blackwell Handbook of Social Psychology: Intergroup Processes, Vol.3, No.1, pp.133-152, 2001.
- J. R. Dominick, "Who do you think you are? Personal homepages and self-presentation on the World Wide Web," Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly, No.76, pp.646-658, 1999.
- N. Doring, "Personal home pages on the web: a review of research," Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Vol.7, No.3, 2002.
- E. Goffman, The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life, NY: Doubleday Anchor Books, 1959.
- E. Jones, Interpersonal perception, New York: W. H. Freeman, 1990.
- D. M. boyd and N. B. Ellison, "Social network sites: definition, history, and scholarship," Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Vol.13, No.1, 2007.
- 구철모, 전유희, 정남로, "소셜 네트워크 서비스의 이용동기와 성과에 대한 실증연구: 온라인 정 체성 표현욕구의 매개효과를 중심으로," 경영학연구, 제41권, 제5호, pp.1136-1156, 2012.
- S. Mehdizadeh, "Self-presentation 2.0: narcissism and self-esteem on facebook," Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, Vol.13, No.4, pp.357-365, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1089/cyber.2009.0257
- A. M. Gonzales and J. T. Hancock, "Mirror, mirror on my facebook wall: effects of exposure to facebook on self-esteem," Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, Vol.14, No.1, pp.79-83, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1089/cyber.2009.0411
- C. Carpenter, "Narcissism on facebook: self-promotional and anti-social behavior," Personality and Individual Differences, No.52, pp.482-486, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2011.11.011
- J. Kim and J. E. Lee, "The facebook paths to happiness: effects of the number of facebook friends and self-presentation on subjective well-being," Cyberpsychology, Behavior and Social networking, No.14, pp.359-364, 2011.
- 최자영, 이수원, 장은영, "공적자기의식과 나르시시즘이 페이스북 브랜드 팬페이지의 공유 의도에 미치는 영향," 마케팅연구, 제28권, 제2호, pp.65-86, 2013.
- M. Strano, "User description and interpretations of self-presentation through facebook profile images," Cyberpsyology: Journal of Psychological Research on Cyberspace, Vol.2, No.2, 2008.
- R. P. Brown and V. Zeigler-Hill, "Narcissism and the non-equivalence of self-esteem measures: A matter of dominance?," Journal of Research in Personality, No.38, pp.585-592, 2004.
- S. Kapidzic, "Narcissism as a predictor of motivations behind Facebook profile picture selection," Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, No.16, pp.14-19, 2013.
- C. DeWall, L. Buffardi, I. Bonser, and W. Campbell, "Narcissism and implicit attention seeking: Evidence from linguistic analyses of social networking and online presentation," Personality and Individual Differences, No.51, pp.57-62, 2011.
- L. Buffardi and W. Campell, "Narcissism and social networking web sites," Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, No.34, pp.1303-1314, 2008.
- A. Cast and P. Burke, "A theory of self-esteem," Social Force, Vol.80, No.3, pp.1041-1068, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1353/sof.2002.0003
- W. Campbell, E. A. Rudich, and C. Sedikidies, Narcissism, self-esteem, and positivity of self-views: two portraits of self-love," Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Vol.28, No.3, pp.358-368, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167202286007
- L. Malar, H. Krohmer, W. Hoyer, and B. Nyffenengger, "Emotional brand attachment and brand personality: the relative importance of the actual and the ideal self," Journal of Marketing, No.75, pp.35-52, 2011.
- G. Kyle, A. Graefe, R. Manning, and J. Bacon, "Effects of place attachment on users' perceptions of social and environmental conditions in a natural setting," Journal of Environmental Psychology, No.24, pp.213-25, 2004.
- R. G. Hass, "Perspective taking and self-awareness: drawing an E on you forehand," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, No.46, pp.788-798, 1984.
- M. Shim, M. Lee, and S. Park, "Photograph use on social network sites among South Korea college students: The role of public and private self-consciousness," Cyberpsychology and Behavior, Vol.11, No.4, pp.489-493, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2007.0104
- T. B. Gogolinski, "Effects of self-monitoring and public self-consciousness on perceptions of facebook profiles, Colonial Academic Alliance Undergraduate Research Journal, Vol.1, No.9, 2010.
- S. Lee, B. Quigley, M. Nesler, and J. Tedeschi, Development of a Self-Presentation Tactics Scale, 1995.
- M. Rosenberg, Social and the adlescent image, Priceton, NJ: Priceon Univ. Press.
- R. A. Emmons, "Narcissism: Theory and measurement," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, No.52, pp.11-17, 1987.
- M. Scheier and C. Carver, "The self-consciousness scale: a revised version for use with general populations," Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Vol.15, No.8, pp.687-699, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1985.tb02268.x
- N. Ellison, C. Steinfield, and C. Lampe, "The benefits of facebook friends: social capital and college students' use of online social network sites," Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, No.12, pp.1148-1163, 2007.
- 김용학, 사회연결망분석, 박영사, 2006.
- A. Chandler, "Narrating the self-injured body," Medical Humanities, No.1, pp.1-6, 2014.