- Volume 17 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Effect of a Smoke-free Campus Policy on Receptivity of Campus and Government Smoke-free Policy among College Students
캠퍼스 금연정책이 대학생들의 캠퍼스 내·외 금연정책 수용성에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2017.05.26
- Accepted : 2017.08.16
- Published : 2017.09.28
This study was performed to evaluate the effect of a smoke-free campus policy on college students' receptivity of campus and governmental smoke free policy. The current study utilized pre and post cross-sectional survey in length of nine months. Data were collected from similar major freshmen at two pre matched universities, one representing smoke-free campus in Seoul city and one representing non smoke-free campus in Busan city, Korea. Baseline data were collected in March 2016 and follow-up data were collected in December 2016. No differences were found between initial and follow-up data on receptivity of smoke-free campus policy in both university students revealing that the smoke-free campus policy does not influence in changing student's attitude towards unfavorable direction. Receptivity on governmental smoke free policy demonstrated significant changes among participants in non smoke-free campus. Their receptivity level changed significantly toward unfavorable direction. The implementation of a smoke-free campus policy can give positive impact on students' receptivity of campus as well as governmental smoke free policy.
College Students;Smoke Free Campus;Smoke Free Policy;Receptivity
Supported by : 삼육대학교
- 보건복지부, 삼육대학교, 담배연기 없는 대학 정책모형 개발연구 보고서, 보건복지부, 2016.
- 김영복, "건강캠퍼스 구축을 위한 건강증진대학 사업의 필수영역 및 추진전략," 보건교육건강증진학회지, 제32권, 제4호, pp.25-35, 2015.
- 보건복지부, 질병관리본부, 2014 국민건강영양조사, 보건복지부, 서울, 2014.
- 보건복지부, 질병관리본부, 2010-2014 지역사회건강조사, 보건복지부, 서울, 2014.
- 김경아, "일 지역 대학생의 흡연실태와 흡연에 영향을 미치는 요인에 관한 연구," 한국산학기술학회 논문지, 제17권, 제1호, pp.465-476, 2016.
- 박순우, "대학생 흡연관련 행태 및 흡연에 의한 건강문제," 보건교육건강증진학회지, 제28권, 제5호, pp.35-49, 2011.
- U. S. Department of Health and Human Services, Preventing tobacco use among youth and young adults: A report of the surgeon general, Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health. 2012.
- 김성우, "일지역 대학생들의 흡연행태와 흡연관련 특성," 한국학교보건교육학회지, 제13권, 제2호, 2012.
- M. J. Ickes, M. K. Rayens, A. T. Wiggins, and E. J. Hahn, "A tobacco-free campus ambassador program and policy compliance," Journal of American College Health, Vol.63, No.2, pp.126-133, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1080/07448481.2014.990972
- C. J. Berg, L. Lessar, P. P. Parelkar, J. Thrasher, M. C. Kegler, C. Escoffery, K. Goldade, and J. S. Ahluwalia, "College student reactions to smoking bans in public, on campus and at home," Health Education Research, Vol.26, No.1, pp.106-118, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1093/her/cyq076
- J. R. Lupton and J. L. Townsend, "A systematic review and meta-analysis of the acceptability and effectiveness of university smoke-free policies," Journal of American College Health, Vol.63, No.4, pp.238-247, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1080/07448481.2015.1015029
- K. J. Harris, J. N. Stearns, and S. W. Harrar, "Enforcing an outdoor smoking ban on a college campus: effects of a multicomponent approach," Journal of American College Health, Vol.58, No.2, pp.121-126, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/07448480903221285
- D. C. Seo, J. T. Macy, M. R. Torabi, and S. E. Middlestadt, "The effect of a smoke-free campus policy on college students' smoking behaviors and attitudes," Preventive Medicine, Vol.53, No.4, pp.347-352, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2011.07.015
- H. Ohmi, T. Okizaki, M. Meadows, K. Terayama, and Y. Mochisuki, "An exploratory analysis of the impact of a university campus smoking ban on staff and student smoking habits in Japan," Tobacco Induced Diseases, Vol.11, No.1, 2013.
- 보건복지부, 제28회 세계 금연의 날, 보건복지부, 2016.
- D. A. Cohen, R. A. Scribner, and T. A. Farley, "A structural model of health behavior: A pragmatic approach to explain and influence health behaviors at the population level," Preventive Medicine, Vol.30, pp.146-154, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1006/pmed.1999.0609
- J. Y. Lee, "A study on the local government's response patterns in the disgusting facility location policy," Journal of Social Science, Vol.8, pp.359-383, 1997.
- E. Rennen, G. E. Nagelhout, B. V. D. Putte, E. Janssen, U. Mons, R. Guignard, F. Beck, H. Vries, J. F. Thrasher, and M. C. Willemsen, "Associations between tobacco control policy awareness, social acceptability of smoking and smoking cessation. Findings from the International Tobacco Control (ITC) Europe Surveys," Health Education Research, Vol.29, No.1, pp.72-82, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1093/her/cyt073
- C. J. Moon, Y. M. Oh, H. J. Kim, J. E Lee, and H. J. Lee, "Tobacco control issue report: A monthly review and analysis of global tobacco control trends," Korea Health Promotion Foundation, Vol.l, No.3, p.46, 2013.
- S. Y. Lee and J. E. Hang, "Smoking Policy Forum Tobacco-Free: Results analysis of public opinion on smoking policy," Korea National Health Promotion Development Center National Anti-smoking Center, Vol.4, pp.40-48, 2015.
- S. Yu and S. R. Kim, "Knowledge and attitude toward smoke free legislation for workplaces and secondhand smoke exposure level among workers in south Korea," Journal of the Korean Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco, Vol.6, No.2, pp.86-101, 2015. https://doi.org/10.25055/JKSRNT.2015.6.2.86
- 최은진, "금연정책 전략," 보건복지포럼, 제3권, pp.71-78, 2012.
- U. S. Department of Health and Human Services, "The Health Consequences of Smoking-50 Years of Progress: A Report of the Surgeon General," Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and human services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health. 2014.
- K. D. Park, "Occupational safety and policy acceptance of workplace incident prevention policies," The Korean Journal of Local Government Studies, Vol.17, No.3, pp.1-22, 2013.
- J. W. Duncan, Organizational Behavior(2nd Ed.), Boston, Houghton Mifflin Company, 1995.
- R. Murphy-Hoefer, R. Griffith, and L. L. Pederson, "A review of interventions to reduce tobacco use in colleges and universities," American Journal of Preventive Medicine, Vol.28, No.2, pp.188-200, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2004.10.015