- Volume 17 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Why Do Consumers Resist Innovative Wearable Devices? The Case of Smartwatches
사용자 선호기반 웨어러블 디바이스의 수용성 연구: 스마트워치를 중심으로
- Received : 2017.08.03
- Accepted : 2017.08.30
- Published : 2017.09.28
Despite consumers' increasing awareness and interests in innovative wearable devices, the sales growth has been stagnant. To analyze this phenomenon, we investigate consumer preferences for various innovative features embedded in wearable devices. Conducting conjoint analysis on smartwatches, we empirically show that the curse of innovation can occur when the consumer's expected utility from the smartwatch falls short of his/her psychological cost associated with behavior change from smartwatch usage. Therefore, our findings provide managerial implications on the R&D strategy for new technologies and more importantly on the marketing strategy easing consumers' resistance to highly innovative products.
Wearable Device;Smartwatch;Conjoint Analysis;Innovative Product Adoption
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- E. Spence, "Will Be The Year Of Wearable Technology," Forbes, 2013, Retrieved from http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2013/11/02/2014-will-be-the-year-of-wearable-technology/
- LG경제연구원, "스마트 워치, 여전히 '존재의 이유'가 필요하다," 신재욱, 유미연(Ed.), LG Business Insight, 2014.
- 노미진, 박현희, "유행헉신성과 정보혁신성에 따른 스마트의류 수용," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제11권, 제11호, pp.350-363, 2011.
- 신명섭, 이영주, "손목형 웨어러블 디바이스 구매의도에 영향을 미치는 요인에 관한 연구," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제15권, 제5호, pp.498-506, 2015.
- 신재권, 이상우, "혁신저항 모형에 기반한 손목형 웨어러블 디바이스의 수용의도 연구-혁신특성, 소비자 특성, 혁신저항을 중심으로," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제16권, 제6호, pp.123-134, 2016.
- R. W. Veryzer, "Key factors affecting customer evaluation of discontinuous new products," Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol.15, No.2, pp.136-150, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0737-6782(97)00075-1
- S. Ram, "A model of innovation resistance," Advances in Consumer Research, Vol.14, No.1, pp.208-212, 1987.
- 김상훈, 하이테크 마케팅, 서울: 박영사, 2008.
- J. T. Gourville, "Eager Sellers. Stony Buyers," Harvand Business Review, pp.99-106, 2006.
- E. M. Rogers, Diffusion of innovations, Simon and Schuster, 1962.
- D. Kahneman and A. Tversky, "Prospect theory: An analysis of decision under risk," Econometrica, pp.263-291, 1979.
- D. Kahneman, J. L. Knetsch, and R. H. Thaler, "Anomalies: The endowment effect, loss aversion, and status quo bias," Journal of Economic Perspectives, Vol.5, No.1, pp.193-206, 1991.
- R. Thaler, "Toward a positive theory of consumer choice," Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, Vol.1, No.1, pp.39-60, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-2681(80)90051-7
- W. Samuelson and R. Zeckhauser, "Status quo bias in decision making," Journal of risk and uncertainty, Vol.1, No.1, pp.7-59, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00055564
- 강희은, "'혁신의 저주'를'혁신의 축복'으로...," 동아비즈니스리뷰, 제7호, 2008.
- 김민주, "작은성과 위한 너무 큰 희생... 나쁜 혁신도 있다," 동아비즈니스리뷰, 제13호, 2012.
- A. P. McCoy, R. Badinelli, C. T. Koebel, and W. Thabet, "Concurrent commercialization and new-product adoption for construction products," European Journal of Innovation Management, Vol.3, No.2, pp.222-243, 2010.
- S. Michel, S. W. Brown, and A. S. Gallan, "An expanded and strategic view of discontinuous innovations: deploying a service-dominant logic," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.36, No.1, pp.54-66, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-007-0066-9
- R. T. Frambach, H. C. Roest, and T. V. Krishnan, "The impact of consumer internet experience on channel preference and usage intentions across the different stages of the buying process," Journal of Interactive Marketing, Vol.21, No.2, pp.26-41, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1002/dir.20079
- C. W. Chao, M. Reid, and F. T. Mavondo, "Consumer innovativeness influence on really new product adoption," Australasian Marketing Journal, Vol.20, No.3, pp.211-217, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ausmj.2012.02.001
- V. Chiesa and F. Frattini, "Commercializing Technological Innovation: Learning from Failures in High‐Tech Markets," Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol.28, No.4, pp.437-454, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5885.2011.00818.x
- L. Valikangas, M. Hoegl, and M. Gibbert, "Why learning from failure isn't easy (and what to do about it): Innovation trauma at Sun Microsystems," European Management Journal, Vol.27, No.4, pp.225-233, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.emj.2008.12.001
- K. Bodine and F. Gemperle, "Effects of functionality on perceived comfort of wearables," Paper presented at the 2012 16th International Symposium on Wearable Computers, 2003.
- B. Ariyatum, R. Holland, D. Harrison, and T. Kazi, "The future design direction of smart clothing development," Journal of the Textile Institute, Vol.96, No.4, pp.199-210, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1533/joti.2004.0071
- R. Lin and J. G. Kreifeldt, "Ergonomics in wearable computer design," International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, Vol.27, No.4, pp.259-269, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-8141(00)00055-X
- J. F. Knight, C. Baber, A. Schwirtz, and H. W. Bristow, "The Comfort Assessment of Wearable Computers," presented at the ISWC, 2002.
- S. Duval and H. Hashizume, "Perception of wearable computers for everyday life by the general public: impact of culture and gender on technology Embedded and Ubiquitous Computing," EUC 2005, Springer, pp.826-835, 2005.
- J. L. Dvorak, Moving Wearables Into the Mainstream: Taming the Borg, Springer, 2007.
- D. Bryson, "Unwearables," Ai & Society, Vol.22, No.1, pp.25-35, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00146-006-0072-3
- G. Anderson and G. Lee, "Why Consumers (Don't) Adopt Smart Wearable Electronics," Pervasive Computing, IEEE, Vol.7, No.3, pp.10-12, 2008.
- V. Boscart, K. McGilton, A. Levchenko, G. Hufton, P. Holliday, and G. Fernie, "Acceptability of a wearable hand hygiene device with monitoring capabilities," Journal of Hospital Infection, Vol.70, No.3, pp.216-222, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2008.07.008
- H. M. Lee, "A Study on the Acceptance of Wearable Computers based on the Extended Technology Acceptance Model," The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, Vol.17, No.6, pp.1155-1172, 2009. https://doi.org/10.29049/rjcc.2009.17.6.1155
- A. K. Schaar and M. Ziefle, "Smart clothing: Perceived benefits vs. perceived fears," presented at the Pervasive Computing Technologies for Healthcare, 5th International Conference on Pervasive Computing Technologies for Healthcare, pp.601-608, 2011.
- A. Karahanoglu and C. Erbug, "Perceived qualities of smart wearables: determinants of user acceptance," Proceedings of the 2011 Conference on Designing Pleasurable Products and Interfaces, 2011.
- C. Buenaflor and H. C. Kim, "Six Human Factors to Acceptability of Wearable Computers," International Journal of Multimedia and Ubiquitous Engineering, Vol.8, No.3, pp.103-114, 2013.
- G. Turhan, "An assessment towards the acceptance of wearable technology to consumers in Turkey: the application to smart bra and t-shirt products," Journal of the Textile Institute, Vol.104, No.4, pp.375-395, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1080/00405000.2012.736191
- On Device Research, 2013. https://ondeviceresearch.com
- GFK Report, 2014. http://www.gfk.com
- P. Fawkes and S. Lachut, "The Future of Wearable Tech.," PSFK, 2014. https://www.psfk.com/
- Hype cycle for emerging technology, 2015. http://www.gartner.com/
- 이훈영, 연구조사방법론, 청람, 2008.
- P. E. Green and V. Srinivasan, "Conjoint Analysis in Marketing: New Developments with Implications for Research and Practice," Journal of Marketing, Vol.54, No.4, pp.3-19, 1990. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251756
- W. M. Hanemann, "Discrete/Continuous Models of Consumer Demand," Econometrica, Vol.52, No.3, pp.541-561, 1984. https://doi.org/10.2307/1913464
- 김민석, 웨어러블 디바이스 서비스에 대한 사용자 선호기반 시장예측 연구: 혁신의 저주 이론과 스마트워치를 중심으로, 한국과학기술원, 석사학위논문, 2014.