- Volume 17 Issue 9
This study is to suggest a new method of analyzing personality types of characters in narrative. First, we examined the history of the taxonomy of character types that existed in narrative theories so far. Until now, the classification of character types in narrative theory consisted largely of a formal classification based on roles in narrative, a content classification based on human internal qualities, and a complementary classification in which the two classification criteria are united. The problem with the existing character classification type is difficult to categorize it in spite of the usefulness of the content classification based on human internal qualities. On the other hand, the classification based on the role of the character in the narrative does not help as much as a practical analysis methodology because the classification is formal. In this study, we try to solve this problem by introducing Shalom Schwartz's human value type, and to make human character's value type and human role correlated with each other as a new character analysis methodology. Schwartz's study of value type is a very effective method to grasp the motivation of human behavior, and it seems to be very meaningful in analyzing the directivity of characters.
Character Analysis;Value Type;Motivation;Narrative
- Aristotle, Poetica, 천병희 역, 수사학/시학, 숲, pp.350-356, 2017.
- 조남현, 小說原論, 고려원, pp.129-161, 1982.
- S. Chatman, Story and Discourse: Narrative Structure in fiction and Film, 김경수 역, 영화와 소설의 서사구조, 민음사, pp.130-175, 1990.
- E. M. Forster, Aspects of the Novel, 이성호 옮김, 소설의 이해, 6쇄, 문예출판사, pp.55-102, 2000.
- S. Rimmon-Kenan, Narrative Fiction : Contemporary Poetics, 최상규 역, 소설의 현대시학, 2판, 예림기획, pp.57-78, 2003.
- Theophrastus, The Characters, 이은종 옮김, 캐릭터, 주영사, 2014.
- Victoria Lynn Schmidt, 45 master characters : mythic models for creating original characters, 남길영 옮김, 캐릭터의 탄생, 바다출판사, 2011.
- Vladimir Propp, Morphology of the Folktale, 안상훈 옮김, 민담의 형태론, 박문사, 2009.
- Northrup Frye, Anatomy of Criticism, 임철규 옮김, 비평의 해부, 한길사, pp.59-64, pp.240-247, 1982.
- Melanie Anne Phillips and Chris Huntley, Dramatica-A New Theory of Story, 4th edition, Screenplay Systems Inc., pp.28-33, 2001.
- Shalom Schwartz and W. Bilsky, "Toward A Universal Psychological Structure of Human Values," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.53, No.3, pp.550-562, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1990
- Shalom Schwartz, "Universals in the content and structure of values-theoretical advances and empirical tests in 20countries," Advances in Experimental Social Psychology, Vol.25, pp.1-65, 1992.
- Shalom Schwartz, "Are There Universal Aspects in the Structure and Contents of Human Values?," Journal of Social Issues, Vol.50, No.4, pp.19-45, 1994.