- Volume 61 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Pre-Service Chemistry Teachers' Awareness of Visually Impaired Students' Learning Situation through Scientific Inquiry about Molecular Structure of Ice in Darkroom
얼음의 분자구조에 대한 암실 속 과학탐구 활동에서 시각장애학생의 학습상황에 대한 예비 화학교사들의 인식
- Received : 2017.05.15
- Accepted : 2017.08.18
- Published : 2017.10.20
The purpose of this study is to investigate the perspective of pre-service chemistry teachers on the learning situations of visually impaired students through scientific inquiry in a darkroom and to propose a teaching and learning method for students with visual impairments. Twenty-one pre-service chemistry teachers from college of education in Gyeongbuk were encouraged to explore individually hands-on model for the molecular structure of ice freely, and had a discussion with a one of the researchers during the activity. All the conversation and discussion were audio-taped and transcribed for analysis. As a result, pre-service chemistry teachers realized that learning situation of the visually impaired students was quite different with their perception while exploring and figuring out hands-on model of the molecular structure of ice in the darkroom. They already learned and could see this model by themselves but also recognized that visually impaired students had inconvenience and difficulty in learning science concepts. Based on these reflections, some pre-service chemistry teachers suggested directions for modification to fit visually impaired students' needs more.
Pre-service chemistry teacher;Molecular structure model;Visually impaired student;Scientific inquiry in the darkroom
- Park, H.; Baek, Y.; Shim, J.; Sohn, Y.; Han, H.; Byun, S.; Seo, Y.; Kim, E. Basic Research for Enhancing Effectiveness of STEAM Program and Advancement of Field Utility. Korea Foundation for the Advancement of Science and Creativity: Seoul, 2014.
- Special education curriculum (Notice No. 2015-81); Ministry of Education: Seoul, 2015.
- Kim, J. H.; Oh, S.; Lee, W. The Korean Journal of Visual Impairment 2007, 23, 97.
- Park, W. S. The Korean Society of Special Education Conference 1987, 50, 91.
- Lee, H. Job Training 2003, 117.
- Pak, S.; Kim, M.; Kim, I.; Seo, H.; Song, J.; Oh, S.; Lee, K.; Lee, M.; Lee, Y.; Lee, H.; Im, S.; Hyun, J. Comprehensive Development Plan for Youth Science Education. Korea Science Foundation: Seoul, 2002.
- Pak, S.; Im, S.; Kim, H.; Park, J.; Yoo, J. Yoon, J.; Jeon, W. Policy Research on the Advancement of Preference for Science of Elementary and Secondary Students. Presidential Advisiory Council on Science and Technology: Seoul, 2002.
- Lee, H. The Field of Special Education 1996, 3, 118.
- Im, A. S. Basics of Vision Education, Paodi: Seoul, 2000.
- Im, A. S. Visual disabilities education, Hakjisa: Seoul, 2008.
- Lee, H.; Lee, Y. The Korean Association For Children with Special Needs 2006, 8, 1.
- Lowenfeld, B. The Visually Handicapped Child in School, The John Day Company: New York, 1973.
- Yoshiko Toriyama. Research Institute of the Korea Special Education Conference Presentations 2015, 2015, 33.
- Kim, J.; Park, H. The Korean Journal of Visual Impairment 2010, 26, 167.
- Lee, Y. J.; Im, S. M. Sae Mulli 2009, 58, 138.
- Cha, H. Development of a Horizontal Balance for Visually Handicapped. Master's thesis, Graduate School of Education, Chinju National University of Education: Korea, 2009.
- Supalo, C. A.; Kreuter, R. A.; Musser, A.; Han, J.; Briody, E.; McArtor, C.; Gregory, K.; Mallouk, T. E. Assistive Technology Outcomes and Benefits 2006, 3, 110.
- Schleppenbach, D. Information Technology and Disabilities E-Journal 1996, 3.
- Seo, Y. H. A Video Study in Conceptual Understanding and Perception about Sound Lessons in Science Class for Elementary Students of Hearing Impairment. Master's thesis, Graduate School of Education, Seoul national University of Education: Korea, 2007.
- Kim, H. B.; Pak, S. J.; Cha, J. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education 2015, 35, 609. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2015.35.4.0609
- Bak, S.; Jeong, G. S. Korean Journal of Special Education 2009, 43, 135.
- Kang, B. S. The Korean Journal of Visual Impairment 2011, 27, 107.
- Schon, D. A. The reflective practitioner, Jossey-Bass: San Francisco, 1983.
- Kwak, Y.; Kim, K. J. Development and Effectiveness of National Level Scholarship Training Program for Developing Teacher Expertise, Korea Institute for Curriculum and Evaluation: Seoul, 2010.
- Kim, H. B. Perceptions about the Science Learning Situation of Visually Impaired Students through the Scientific Inquiry in the Darkroom. Doctor's thesis, Department of Science Education Graduate School, Daegu University: Korea, 2015.
- Kim, H. B.; Pak, S. J.; Cha, J. The Journal of Special Education: Theory and Practice 2015, 16, 323.
- Kwon, H. J. The Journal of Special Education: Theory and Practice 2012, 13, 471.
- Kim, Y. Qualification training 2004, 137.
- Jeong, J.; Yoo, J.; Kim, S. G.; Yun, S. G. Biology Education 2009, 37, 38. https://doi.org/10.15717/bioedu.2009.37.1.38
- Yoo, J. The Study of the Science Education in Korea for Visually or Hearing Impaired Students. Master's thesis, The Graduate School of Education, Yonsei University: Korea, 1998.
- Lee, H. The Field of Special Education 1995, 2, 22.
- Im, A. S. The jounal of Visual Handicaps 1991, 7, 3.
- Han, S. H. Special Education Education 1989, 6, 1.
- Shin, Y. J. Current Status of Science Education in Korea for Visually Impaired Students. Master's thesis, Graduate School of Education, Sungkyunkwan University: Korea, 2005.