- Volume 33 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Full mouth rehabilitation of the intellectually disabled patient with collapsed bite using partial removable dental prosthesis: a case report
교합이 붕괴된 지적장애 환자의 국소의치 수복증례
- Kim, Min-Ji (Department of Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry, Chonnam National University) ;
- Yang, Hong-So (Department of Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry, Chonnam National University) ;
- Park, Sang-Won (Department of Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry, Chonnam National University) ;
- Lim, Hyun-Pil (Department of Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry, Chonnam National University) ;
- Yun, Kwi-dug (Department of Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry, Chonnam National University) ;
- Park, Chan (Department of Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry, Chonnam National University)
- 김민지 (전남대학교 치의학전문대학원 보철학교실) ;
- 양홍서 (전남대학교 치의학전문대학원 보철학교실) ;
- 박상원 (전남대학교 치의학전문대학원 보철학교실) ;
- 임현필 (전남대학교 치의학전문대학원 보철학교실) ;
- 윤귀덕 (전남대학교 치의학전문대학원 보철학교실) ;
- 박찬 (전남대학교 치의학전문대학원 보철학교실)
- Received : 2017.07.17
- Accepted : 2017.07.22
- Published : 2017.09.30
Intellectual disability is an imperfect disorder in which mental development is permanently retarded and development of intellectual ability is inadequate. Having intellectual disabilities makes it difficult to handle their own work and adapt to social life. For this reason, it is difficult to hygienically manage the patient's oral condition, multiple caries are easily observed, and the periodontal disease incidence rate is high. The patient in this case is a 33-year-old female with a mental retardation first grade who had a problem with meals. In first visit, Patients had decreased occlusal vertical dimension and posterior bite collapse due to periodontitis and multiple caries. This case reports a satisfactory functional and esthetic results by reconstructing occlusion using partial removable dental prosthesis.
- Chang J, Lee JH, Son HH, Kim HY. Caries risk profile of Korean dental patients with severe intellectual disabilities. Spec Care Dentist 2014;34:201-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/scd.12047
- Anders PL, Davis EL. Oral health of patients with intellectual disabilities: a systematic review. Spec Care Dentist 2010;30:110-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1754-4505.2010.00136.x
- Shifman A, Laufer BZ, Chweidan H. Posterior bite collapse-revisited. J Oral Rehabil 1998;25:376-85. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2842.1998.00243.x
- Stiefel DJ. Dental care considerations for disabled adults. Spec Care Dentist 2002;22:26S-39S.
- Oczakir C, Balmer S, Mericske-Stern R. Implantprosthodontic treatment for special care patients: a case series study. Int J Prosthodont 2005;18:383-9.
- Schalock RL, Borthwick-Duffy SA, Bradley VJ, Buntinx WHE, Coulter DL, Craig EM, Gomez SC, Lachapelle Y, Luckasson R, Reeve A, Shogren KA, Snell ME, Spreat S, Tasse MJ, Thompson JR, Verdugo-Alonso MA, Wehmeyer ML, Yeager MH. Intellectual disability: definition, classification, and systems of supports. 11th ed. Washington DC; American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities; 2010.
- Mac Giolla Phadraig C, Nunn J, Carroll R, McCarron M, McCallion P. Why do edentulous adults with intellectual disabilities not wear dentures? Wave 2 of the IDS TILDA cohort study. J Prosthodont Res 2017;61:61-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpor.2016.04.005
- A position paper from the Academy of Dentistry for Persons with Disabilities. Preservation of quality oral health care services for people with developmental disabilities. Spec Care Dentist 1998;18:180-2. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1754-4505.1998.tb01736.x