- Volume 33 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Full mouth rehabilitation with extremely worn dentition
심한 치아 마모 환자의 전악보철 수복 증례
- Cha, Hwa-Ryun (Department of Prosthodontic Dentistry, Veterans Health Service Medical Center) ;
- Yeom, Kyeong-Yeon (Department of Prosthodontic Dentistry, Veterans Health Service Medical Center) ;
- Lee, Yong-Sang (Department of Prosthodontic Dentistry, Veterans Health Service Medical Center) ;
- Kim, Na-Hong (Department of Prosthodontic Dentistry, Veterans Health Service Medical Center)
- 차화륜 (한국보훈복지공단 중앙보훈병원 치과보철과) ;
- 염경연 (한국보훈복지공단 중앙보훈병원 치과보철과) ;
- 이용상 (한국보훈복지공단 중앙보훈병원 치과보철과) ;
- 김나홍 (한국보훈복지공단 중앙보훈병원 치과보철과)
- Received : 2017.07.21
- Accepted : 2017.08.21
- Published : 2017.09.30
Pathologic attrition leads to pathologic damage on occlusal plane, functional disorders, occlusal disharmony, esthetic problems, pulpal lesion, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder. In this case, treatment plan should be considered for possibility of vertical dimension loss, occlusal pattern, esthetics, phonetics, amount of vertical dimension increase. This case report was a 71-year-old man who had severely worn dentition. Full mouth rehabilitation was carried out with vertical dimension increase due to limited space for prosthesis. After evaluation of provisional restorations for patient's compliance, final restorations were fabricated and routine clinical assessments were made. This case presents that a satisfactory clinical result was achieved by restoring the worn dentition.
- Mulay G, Dugal R, Buhranpurwala M. An evaluation of wear of human enamel opposed by ceramics of different surface finishes. J Indian Prosthodont Soc 2015;15:111-8. https://doi.org/10.4103/0972-4052.155031
- Ibbetson RJ, Setchell DJ. Treatment of the worn dentition: 2. Dent Update 1989;16:300-2, 305-7.
- Silverman MM. The speaking method in measuring vertical dimension. 1952. J Prosthet Dent 2001;85:427-31. https://doi.org/10.1067/mpr.2001.116139
- Silverman MM. Determination of vertical dimension by phonetics. J Prosthet Dent 1956;6:467-71.
- Turner KA, Missirlian DM. Restoration of the extremely worn dentition. J Prosthet Dent 1984;52:467-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(84)90326-3
- Johnson A, Wildgoose DG, Wood DJ, The determination of freeway space using two different methods. J Oral Rehabil 2002;29:1010-3. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2842.2002.00950.x
- Park JH, Jeong CM, Jeon YC, Lim JS. A study on the occlusal plane and the vertical dimension in Korean adults with natural dentition. J Korean Acad Prosthodont 2005;43:41-51.
- Willis FM. Features of the face involved in full denture prosthesis. Dent Cosmos 1935;77:851-4.
- Dawson PE. Functional occlusion: from TMJ to smile design. St. Louis; Elsevier Health Sciences; 2007. p. 430-52.
- Rivera-Morales WC, Mohl ND. Relationship of occlusal vertical dimension to the health of the masticatory system. J Prosthet Dent 1991;65:547-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(91)90298-B
- Abduo J, Lyons K. Clinical considerations for increasing occlusal vertical dimension: a review. Aust Dent J 2012;57:2-10.
- Oh YR, Lee SB, Park NS, Choi DG. A study of intraoral anatomic landmarks of Korean adult-upper jaw. J Korean Acad Prosthodont 1995;33:753-68.