- Volume 21 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Optimization of Fermentation Condition for Onion Vinegar Using Acetobacter orientalis MAK88
Acetobacter orientalis MAK88 균주를 이용한 양파 식초의 발효 최적화
- Lee, Jin-A (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Gachon University) ;
- Lee, Sulhee (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Gachon University) ;
- Park, Young-Seo (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Gachon University)
- Received : 2017.06.07
- Accepted : 2017.09.18
- Published : 2017.11.30
Acetic acid bacteria strains were isolated from a variety of fermented foods and fallen fruits. Among them, the strain MAK88, whose acetic acid fermentation ability, acid-tolerance, and alcohol-tolerance were high, was selected and identified as Acetobacter orientalis. A seed culture of A. orientalis MAK88 was inoculated into onion juice, and the optimum conditions of acetic acid fermentation was investigated. The optimum initial concentration of ethanol in onion juice was 5% (v/v) and in that condition, acidity was 4.31% at 144 h of fermentation. The optimum initial concentration of acetic acid was 1% and the final acidity was 5.32%. The optimum fermentation temperature was determined to be
- Azuma K, Minami Y, Ippoushi K, Terao J. 2007. Lowering effects of onion intake on oxidative stress biomarkers in streptozotocininduced diabetic rats. J. Clin. Biochem. Nutr. 40: 131-140. https://doi.org/10.3164/jcbn.40.131
- Casale M, Saiz AMJ, Gonzalez SJM, Pizarro C, Forina M. 2006. Study of the aging and oxidation processes of vinegar samples from different origins during storage by near-infrared spectroscopy. Anal. Chim. Acta. 557: 360-366. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2005.10.063
- Hung H. 2007. Dietary quercetin inhibits proliferation of lung carcinoma cells. Forum Nutr. 60: 146-157.
- Kang SK, Jang MJ, Kim YD. 2006. Isolation and culture conditions of Acetobacter sp. for the production of citron (Citrus junos) vinegar. Korean J. Food Preserv. 13: 357-362.
- Kim HJ, Park SH, Park CH. 1985. Studies on the production of vinegar from barley. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 17: 350-354.
- Kim MY, Chun SS. 2001. Effects of onion on the quality characteristics. Korean J. Soc. Food Cookery Sci. 17: 316-322.
- Kim SO, Lee MY. 2001. Effect of ethylacetate fraction of onion on lipid metabolism in high cholesterol fed rats. J. Korean. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 30: 673-678.
- Kim SW, Oh, EH, Jun HK. 2008. Analysis of optimum condition for ethanolic drink production using onion extract. J. Life Sci. 18: 871-877. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2008.18.6.871
- Kim YD, Kang SH, Kang SK. 1996. Studies on the acetic acid fermentation using maesil juice. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 25: 95-700.
- Krusong W, Yaiyen S, Pornpukdeewatana S. 2014. Impact of high initial concentrations of acetic acid and ethanol on acetification rate in an internal venturi injector bioreactor. J. Appl. Microbiol. 118: 629-640.
- Lee CJ, Kim HD, Lee JT, Cho YC, Song JW, Choi CK. 2004. Quality improvement of onion by cultural managements, preharvest treatments and storage methods under storage at room temperature. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 22: 162-168.
- Lee DS, Ryu IH, Lee KS, Shin YS, Chun SH. 1999. Optimization in the preparation of aloe vinegar by Acetobacter sp. and inhibitory effect against lipase activity. J. Kor Soc. Agric. Chem. J. Biotechnol. 42: 105-110.
- Lee HJ, Lee KH, Park E, Chung HK. 2010. Effect of onion extracts on serum cholesterol in borderline hypercholesterolemic participants. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 39: 1783-1789. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.12.1783
- Lee MK, Chung YH, Nam HK. 1999. Studies on the heavy metals elimination and antioxidation of the onion ethanolic extract. J. Korean Oil Chem. Soc. 16: 143-146.
- Lee SH, Lee JA, Park GG, Jang JK, Park YS. 2017. Semi-continuous fermentation of onion vinegar and its functional properties. Molecules. 22: 1313; doi:10.3390. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules22081313
- Lee YK, Park YK. 1996. Identification of isorhamnetic- 4'-glucoside in onions. J. Agric. Food Chem. 44: 34-36. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf950310e
- Matsutani M, Nishikura M, Saichanaa N, Hatano T, Masud-Tippayasak U, Theergool G, Yakushi T, Matsushit K. 2013. Adaptive mutation of Acetobacter pasteurianus SKU1108 enhances acetic acid fermentation ability at high temperature. J. Bacteriol. 165: 109-119.
- Mo HW, Jung YH, Jeong JS, Choi KH, Choi SW, Park CS, Choi MA, Kim ML, Kim MS. 2013. Quality characteristics of vinegar fermented using Omija (Schizandra chinensis Baillon). J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 42: 441-449. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.3.441
- Oh YJ. 1992. A Study on cultural conditions for acetic acid production employing pear juice. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 21: 377-380.
- Ory ID, Romero LE, Cantero D. 2002. Optimum starting-up protocol of a pilot plant scale acetifier for vinegar production. J. Food Eng. 52: 31-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0260-8774(01)00082-6
- Park CS, Kim KS, Noh JG, Rho CW, Yoon HS. 2010. Quality characteristics of the germinated brown rice vinegar added with red pepper. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 39: 567-572. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.4.567
- Park JH. 2007. Studies on the production of an onion vinegar by two-stage fermentation. MD thesis. Pusan National University, Pusan, Korea.
- Park MH, Lyu DK, Ryu CH. 2002. Characteristics of high acidity producing acetic acid bacteria isolated from industrial vinegar fermentation. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 31: 394-398. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2002.31.3.394
- Qi Z, Yang H, Xia X, Quan W, Wang W, Yu X. 2014. Achieving high strength vinegar fermentation via regulating cellular growth status and aeration strategy. Process Biochem. 49: 1063-1070. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procbio.2014.03.018
- Ramos FA, Takaishi Y, Shirotori M, Kawaguchi Y, Tsuchiya K, Shibata H, Higuti T, Tadokoro T, Takeuchi M. 2006. Antibacterial and antioxidant activities of quercetin oxidation products from yellow onion (Allium cepa) skin. J. Agric. Food Chem. 54: 3551-3557. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf060251c
- Saeki A, Taniguchi M, Matsushita K, Toyama H. 1997. Microbiological aspects of acetate oxidation by acetic acid bacteria, unfavorable phenomena in vinegar fermentation. Biosci. Biotech. Biochem. 61: 317-323. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.61.317
- Sheo HJ, Jung DL. 1997. The effects of onion juice on serum lipid levels in rats. J. Korean Soc. Food Nutr. 25: 1164-1172.
- Shin JS, Jeong YJ. 2003. Changes in the components of acetic acid fermentation of brown rice using raw starch digesting enzyme. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 32: 381-387. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.3.381
- Tesfaye W, Morales ML, Garcia-Parrilla MC, Troncoso AM. 2002. Wine vinegar: technology, authenticity and quality evaluation. Trends Food Sci. Tech. 13: 12-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-2244(02)00023-7
- Valera MJ, Torija MJ, Masa A, Mateo E. 2015. Acetic acid bacteria from biofilm of strawberry vinegar visualized by microscopy and detected by complementing culture-dependent and cultureindependent techniques. Food Microbiol. 46: 452-462. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2014.09.006