- Volume 44 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Changes in in vivo ruminal fermentation patterns and blood metabolites by different protein fraction-enriched feeds in Holstein steers
- Choi, Chang Weon (Department of Animal Resources, Daegu University)
- Received : 2017.06.09
- Accepted : 2017.08.03
- Published : 2017.09.30
The present study was conducted to investigate the effects of different dietary proteins as fraction-enriched protein, defined by Cornell net carbohydrates and protein system (CNCPS), on in vivo ruminal fermentation pattern and blood metabolites in Holstein steers fed total mixed ration (TMR) containing 17.2% crude protein. Four ruminally cannulated Holstein steers in a
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Choi CW, Oh YK. 2011. Effects of feeding whole crop rice silage harvested at different stages on rumen fermentation and blood metabolites in Hanwoo steers. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science 31:191-200. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2011.31.2.191
- Choi CW. 2015. Effects of CNCPS fraction-enriched proteins on ruminal fermentation and plasma metabolites in Holstein steers fed TMR containing low protein. CNU Journal of Agricultural Science 42:237-244. [in Korean]
- Choi CW. 2016. Changes in ruminal fermentation and blood metabolism in steers fed low protein TMR with protein fraction-enriched feeds. Korean Journal of Agricultural Science 43:379-386. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.7744/kjoas.20160040
- Eisemann JH, Hammond AC, Rumsey TS, Bauman DE. 1989. Nitrogen and protein metabolism and metabolites in plasma and urine of beef steers treated somatotropin. Journal of Animal Science 67:105-115. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1989.671105x
- Enright WJ, Quirke JF, Gluckman PD, Breier BH, Kennedy LG, Hart IC, Rochecoert JF, Allen P. 1990. Effects of long-time administration of pituitary-derived bovine growth hormone and estradiol on growth in steers. Journal of Animal Science 68:2345-2356. https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.6882345x
- Erwin ES, Marco GT, Emery EM. 1961. Volatile fatty acid analysis of blood and rumen fluid by gas chromatography. Journal of Dairy Science 44:1768-1771. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(61)89956-6
- Fox DG, Tedeschi LO, Tylutki TP, Russell JB, Van Amburgh ME, Chase LE, Pell AN, Overton TR. 2004. The Cornell net carbohydrate and protein system model for evaluating herd nutrition and nutrient excretion. Animal Feed Science and Technology 112:29-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2003.10.006
- Gentry LR, Fernandez JM, Ward TL, White TW, Southern LL, Bidner TD, Thompson Jr DL, Horohov DW, Chapa AM, Sahlu T. 1999. Dietary protein and chromium tripicolinate in Suffolk wether lambs: Hormonal responses, and immune status. Journal of Animal Science 77:1284-1294. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.7751284x
- Higgs RJ, Chase LE, Ross DA, Van Amburgh ME. 2015. Updating the Cornell Net Carbohydrate and Protein System feed library and analyzing model sensitivity to feed inputs. Journal of Animal Science 98:6340-6360.
- Jin GL. 2011. Effect of protein fractionation and buffer solubility of various feed stuffs on in vitro fermentation characteristics, degradability and gas production by rumen microbes. Ph. D. dissertation, Chungbuk National University. Chungju, Korea.
- Lanzas C, Tedeschi LO, Seo S, Fox DG. 2007. Evaluation of protein fractionation systems used in formulating rations for dairy cattle. Journal of Animal Science 90:507-521.
- Lee SC. 2006. Effects of CP contents and levels of RDP and RUP in diets on ruminal fermentation and protein digestion in Hanwoo steers. Master thesis, Chungnam National University. Daejeon, Korea. [in Korean]
- Licitra G, Hernandez TM, Van Soest PJ. 1996. Standardization of procedures for nitrogen fractionation of ruminant feeds. Animal Feed Science and Technology 57:347-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(95)00837-3
- Pritchard RH, Males JR. 1985. Effect of crude protein and ruminal ammonia-N on digestibility and ruminal outflow in beef cattle fed wheat straw. Journal of Animal Science 60:822-831. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1985.603822x
- RDA. 2012. Korean feeding standard for dairy cattle. 3rd Edition. National Institute of Animal Science. Rural Development Administration. [in Korean]
- Reynal SM, Broderick GA. 2003. Effects of feeding dairy cows protein supplements of varying ruminal degradability. Journal of Dairy Science 86:835-843. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)73666-2
- SAS. 2002. SAS User's Guide. Statistics. Version 9.1. SAS Institute. Inc. Cary, NC.
- Wallace RJ, Newbold CJ, McKain N. 1990. Patterns of peptide metabolism by rumen microorganisms. In The Rumen Ecosystem, the Microbial Metabolism and Its Regulation edited by Hoshino S, Onodera R, Itabashi H. pp. 43-50. Springer-Verlag, Tokyo.
- Wallace RJ. 1988. Ecology of rumen micro-organisms: Protein use. In Aspects of digestive physiology in ruminants edited by Dobson A, Dobson MJ. pp. 99-122. Cornell University Press, Ithaca.
- Williams AP, Cockburn JE. 1991. Effect of slowly and rapidly degraded protein sources on the concentrations of amino acids and peptides in the rumen of steers. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 56:303-314. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740560306