- Volume 44 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of seeding and harvest dates on the productivity, nutritive values, and livestock carrying capacity of spring-seeded oats (Avena sative L.) in the northern Gyeongbuk province
- Received : 2017.04.07
- Accepted : 2017.08.02
- Published : 2017.09.30
This experiment was conducted to estimate the livestock carrying capacity per unit area of Hanwoo heifer with determine the quality of the forage by evaluating the productivity and nutritive value of spring seeding oats (Avena sative L.) according to different seeding and harvesting timings. Dry matter yields were the highest at 13.62 tons per ha when oat was seeded on March 15 and harvested on June 8 (p < 0.05), while the lowest yield of 6.29 tons per ha was obtained when seeded on February 25 and harvested on May 19 (p < 0.05). The highest crude protein yield of 1.27 tons per ha (p < 0.05) was obtained when seeded on March 5 and harvested on June 8. The total digestible nutrient yield was the highest at 7.38 tons per ha when harvested on June 8, the last harvest of the experiment (p < 0.05). In the northern part of Gyeongbuk province, spring seeding oats at the beginning of March, rather than in the middle of March, showed good annual livestock carrying capacity per unit area. According to harvest timing, the plot harvested on June 8 showed the highest livestock carrying capacity with an average of 6.53 heads (p < 0.05). In conclusion, in the northern part of Gyeongbuk province in spring, it is better to seed oat early in March and to harvest early in June to increase the livestock breeding capacity, considering dry matter productivity and feed value.
Grant : 조사료 생산불리지역 맞춤형 연중생산 체계 구축
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis (15th Ed.). Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington D.C.
- Cherney JH, Marten GC. 1982. Small grain crop forage potential: I. Biological and chemical determinants of quality and yield. Crop Science 22:227-230. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci1982.0011183X002200020007x
- Choi KW, Jo IH, Hwangbo S. 2012. Effects of applying of animal manure on productivity and on carrying capacity for livestock of corn and forage sorghum. The Korean Society of International Agriculture 24:36-42. [in Korean]
- Contreras-Govea FE, Albrecht KA. 2005. Forage production and nutritive value of oat in autumn and early summer. Crop Science 46:2382-2386.
- Delogu G, Faccini N, Faccioli P, Reggiani F, Lendini M, Berardo N, Odoardi M. 2002. Dry matter yield and quality evaluation at tow phenological stage of Sardinia ltaly. Field Crops Research 74:207-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4290(02)00002-3
- Goering HK, Van Soest PJ. 1970. Forage fiber analysis (apparatus, reagents, procedures, and some applications). United States Department of Agriculture Handbook No. 379, Washington, D.C.
- Han OK, Park HH, Heo HY, Park TI, Seo JH, Park KH, Kim JG, Ju JI, Hong YG, Jeung JH, Park NG. 2009. A new early high-yielding forage winter oat cultivar, "Punghan". Korea Journal of Breeding Science 41:168-172. [in Korean]
- Han OK, Park TI, Park KH, Seo JH, Hwang JJ, Baek SB, Kim DW, Kwon YU. 2012. Effect of seeding dates on yield and quality of various oat cultivars for year-around forage production. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science 32:209-220. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2012.32.3.209
- Heo HY, Park HH, Kim MJ, Choi SW, Park KG, Nam JH, Kim JG, Lee CK, Kwon YU. 2003. A new cold tolerant, high forage and grain yielding winter oat cultivar "Samhan". Korea Journal of Breeding Science 35:331-332. [in Korean]
- Hwang JH, Sung BR, Yeon KB, Ahn OS, Lee JH, Jung KY, Kim YS. 1985. Forage and TDN yield of several winter crops at different clipping date. Journal of Crop Science and Biotechnology 30:301-309. [in Korean]
- Hwang OH, Lee YK, Cho SB, Han DW, Lee SR, Kwag JH, Park SK. 2016. The effect of palm kernel meal supplementation in the diet on the growth performance and meat quality of swine, and on the level of odorous compounds and bacterial communities in swine manure. Korean Journal of Agricultural Science 43:777-787. [in Korean]
- Hwangbo S, Jo IH. 2013. Effects of applying cattle slurry and mixed sowing with legumes on productivity, feed values and organic stock carrying capacity of winter forage crop in Gyeongbuk Regions. Korean Journal of Organic Agriculture 21:451-465. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.11625/KJOA.2013.21.3.451
- Hwangbo S, Jo IH. 2014. Effects of mixed sowing with legumes and applying cattle manure on productivity, feed values and stock carrying capacity of whole crop wheat in Gyeongbuk Regions. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science 34:52-59. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2014.34.1.52
- Jo IH, Hwangbo S, Lee SH. 2010. Effects of applying cattle slurry and mixed sowing with legumes on productivity, feed values and organic stock carrying capacity of winter forage crop in Gyeongbuk Regions. Korean Journal of Organic Agriculture 18:419-432. [in Korean]
- Jo IH. 2003. A study on area types of recycling agriculture. Korean Journal of Organic Agriculture 11:91-108. [in Korean]
- Ju JI, Lee DH, Han OK, Song TH, Kim CH, Lee HB. 2011. Comparisons of characteristics, yield and feed quality of oat varieties sown in spring and autumn. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science 31:25-32. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2011.31.1.25
- Ju JI, Lee DH, Seong YG, Han OK. Song TH, Lee KW, Kim CH. 2010. Comparisons of growth, yield and feed quality at spring sowing among five winter cereals for whole-crop silage use. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science 30:205-216. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2010.30.3.205
- Ju JI, Lee JJ, Park KH, Lee HB. 2009. Changes of feed quality at different cutting dates among five winter cereals for whole-crop cereal silage in middle region. Journal of The Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science 29:187-196. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2009.29.3.187
- Kim SK, Kim JD, Park HS, Kim DA. 1999. Seeding rate and planting date effects on forage performance and quality of spring oats. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science 19:233-240. [in Korean]
- Linn J, Martin N. 1989. Forage quality tests and interpretation. Univ. of Minnesota Ext. Serv. AG-FO-2637.
- Nahm KH. 1992. Practical guide to feed, forage and water analysis. pp. 1-70. Yoohan Pub.
- Park HH, Heo HY, Kim JG, Park KH, Choi JS, Kwon YU, Nam JH, Lee JJ, Lee CK, Ryu IM, Ko SB, Jung KY, Lee SH. 2006. A new early-heading and high-yielding forage oat cultivars, "Darkhorse". Korea Journal of Breeding Science 38:287-288. [in Korean]
- Park HH, Heo HY, Park KH, Park TI, Seo JH, Cheong YK, Choi JS, Kim JG, Kwon YU, Ju JI, Rye IM, Hong YG, Jung KY, Han OK. 2007. A new early-heading and high-yielding forage winter oat cultivar, "Chohan". Korea Journal of Breeding Science 39:124-125. [in Korean]
- Park SW, Kim BH, Kim YH, Kim SN, Jang KB, Kim YH, Park JC, Song MH, Oh SN. 2016. Nutrition and feed approach according to pig physiology. Korean Journal of Agricultural Science 43:750-760. [in Korean]
- RDA National Institute of Animal Science. 2012. Korean feeding standard for Hanwoo. [in Korean]
- Robert WW. 1995. The oat crop production and utilization. pp. 224-231. Chapman & Hall.
- Ryu DK, Yun SI, Lee JS, Jo IH, Ahn JH. 2006. Standard model development of nature-circulating organic agriculture. Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry. [in Korean]
- SAS. 2005. Statistical Analysis System ver., 8.01. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- Shin CN, Kim BH. 1993. Dry matter yield and feed value of oat plant at various planting and harvesting date in fall. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science 13:294-299. [in Korean]
- Shin CN, Kim BH. 1995. Dry matter yield and chemical composition of spring oats at various stage of growth. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science 15:61-66. [in Korean]
- Shin CN, Ko KH, Kim JD. 2014. Effect of different seeding dates on agronomic characteristics and productivity of sudangrass hybrid and oat in cropping after corn for silage in Kyeongbuk. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science 34:81-86. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2014.34.2.81
- Song TH, Han OK, Yun SK, Park TI, Seo JH, Kim KH, Park KH. 2009. Changes in quantity and quality of winter cereal crops for forage at different growing stages. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science 29:129-136. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2009.29.2.129
- Statistics Korea. 2016. Cattle ranchers farming Korean cattle 'Hanwoo'. [in Korean]
- Thompson RK, Day AD. 1959. Spring oats for winter forage southwest. American Society of Agronomy 51:9-11. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1959.00021962005100010004x