- Volume 43 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Review on Safety and Health Information on Humidifier Disinfectant
가습기 살균제 제품에 표기된 안전보건정보 고찰
- Park, Dong-Uk (Department of Environmental Health, Korea National Open University) ;
- Lee, Seunghee (Department of Environmental Health, Korea National Open University) ;
- Lim, Heung-Kyu (Department of Environmental Health, Korea National Open University) ;
- Bae, Seo-Youn (Department of Environmental Health, Korea National Open University) ;
- Ryu, Seung-Hun (Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Graduate School of Public Health, Seoul National University) ;
- Ahn, Jong-Ju (Korean Social Policy Institute)
- 박동욱 (한국방송통신대학교 환경보건학과) ;
- 이승희 (한국방송통신대학교 환경보건학과) ;
- 임흥규 (한국방송통신대학교 환경보건학과) ;
- 배서연 (한국방송통신대학교 환경보건학과) ;
- 류승훈 (서울대학교 보건대학원 환경보건학과) ;
- 안종주 (한국사회정책연구원)
- Received : 2017.10.15
- Accepted : 2017.10.24
- Published : 2017.10.31
The objective of this study is to review the safety and health information displayed on containers of humidifier disinfectants (HD). We summarized not only general characteristics related to the marketing and manufacturing of HD, such as the duration sold and the name of the company, but also the safety and health information, such as identification of disinfectants, recommended use volume, and precautions. All of this information was reviewed by HD brand. We collected safety and health information from 31 HD brands. We found that companies that sold and manufactured HD brands differ. Two companies were found to sell their HD without permission after 2011 when the health effects caused by HD were widely known. The name of the disinfectants were not identified on the container of HD. The recommended volumes were found not to be based on toxicological evidence and set without consideration of the level of susceptibility of users. Most companies displayed phrases such "this HD is safe for humans, even children" on the front of the container. No inhalation and skin toxicity precautions were provided. In conclusion, most HD did not properly display information related to safety and health to protect the health of HD users. There has been no official investigation to evaluate the risks posed by HD, such as the sales volume by HD, identification of chemical disinfectants, or their concentration, nor have there been actions to control the chemical quality of HD. In addition, government actions to punish the malicious practices of companies that manufactured and sold HD were found to inappropriate.
Household chemical;humidifier disinfectant brand (HD);inhalation toxicity;safety and health information
- Park DU, Ryu SH, Roh HS. Distribution of health problems associated with humidifier disinfectant by year. J Environ Health Sci. 2016; 42(6): 365-374.
- Park et al. Lung injury caused by a mixture of chloromethylisothiazolinone (CMIT) and methylisothiazolinone (MIT) used as disinfectant in humidifier, 2017 [submitted].
- Korea Center for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC). 1st Study on the relationship between the use of humidifier disinfectant and lung injury; 2014.
- Yonhap News. Unauthorized humidifier disinfectants still brazenly sold. Available: http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/bulletin/2016/07/28/0200000000AKR20160728082000004.HTML [accessed 12 October 2017].
- The medical news. Avoid unauthorized qusi-drug "Eekoball disinfection filter". Available: http://www.bosa.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=607571 [accessed 12 October 2017].
- Choi H, Kim JJ, Lee DG. Antifungal activity of the cationic antimicrobial polymer-polyhexamethylene guanidine hydrochloride and its mode of action. Fungal Biol. 2017; 121(1): 53-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.funbio.2016.09.001
- Park DU, Kwon JH, Oh HB. Physicochemical characteristics by humidifier disinfectant brands, National Institute of Environmental Health, 2017.
- Yonhap News. Manslaughter case for eight humidifier disinfectant manufactures forwarded to Public Prosecution's Office. Available: http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/bulletin/2015/09/18/0200000000AKR20150918204900004.HTML?input =1195m [accessed 12 October 2017].
- Korean Broadcasting System (KBS). Humidifier disinfectants sold despite awareness of endangerment... company to blame. Available: http://news.kbs.co.kr/news/view.do?ncd=3150426&ref=A[accessed 12 October 2017].
- Fair Trade Commission. Fair Trade Commission Review: Act on Fair Labeling and Advertising. 2014.
- Fair Trade Commission. Case on Unlawful labeling of Oxy Reckitt Benckiser Co., Ltd. Decision number: 2012-200. 2012.
- Fair Trade Commission. Case on Unlawful labeling of Home plus Co., Ltd. Decision number: 2012-201. 2012.
- Fair Trade Commission. Case on Unlawful labeling of Butterfly Effect Co. Ltd. Decision number: 2012-202. 2012.
- Fair Trade Commission. Case on Unlawful labeling of Atorganic Co. Ltd. Decision number: 2012-203. 2012.
- Fair Trade Commission. Sanctions Imposed on Humidifier Disinfectant Seller for False Labeling on Safeness. 2012.
- Fair Trade Commission. Case on unlawful labeling and advertising of E-MART Co., Ltd. and Aekyung Industrial Co., Ltd. Decision number: 2016-282. 2016.
- Fair Trade Commission. Case on unlawful labeling and advertising of Aekyung Industrial Co., Ltd. And SK chemicals Co., Ltd. Decision number: 2016-285. 2016.
- Lundov MD, Zachariae C, Menne T, Johansen JD. Airborne exposure to preservative methylisothiazolinone causes severe allergic reactions. BMJ. 2012; 345: e8221. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.e8221
- Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety (SCCS). OPINION ON the mixture of 5-chloro-2-methylisothiazolin-3(2H)-one and 2-methylisothiazolin-3(2H)-one; 2009.
- Lundov MD, Mosbech H, Thyssen JP, Menne T, Zachariae C. Two cases of airborne allergic contact dermatitis caused by methylisothiazolinone in paint. Contact Dermatitis. 2011; 65(3): 176-178. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0536.2011.01924.x
- He K, Huang J, Lagenaur CF, Aizenman E. Methylisothiazolinone, a neurotoxic biocide, disrupts the association of SRC family tyrosine kinases with focal adhesion kinase in developing cortical neurons. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2006; 317(3): 1320-1329. https://doi.org/10.1124/jpet.106.103044
- Korea Center for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC). Analytical results of the chemical components of various humidifier disinfectant brands from KCDC's parliamentary inspection. Document number: Department of epidemiology research-822. 2011.
- Mowry JB, Spyker DA, Cantilena JR LR, McMillan N, Ford M. 2013 annual report of the American association of poison control centers' National poison data system (NPDS): 31st annual report. Clin Toxicol. 2014; 52(10): 1032-1283. https://doi.org/10.3109/15563650.2014.987397