- Volume 43 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Developing a Multi-purpose Ecotoxicity Database Model and Web-based Searching System for Ecological Risk Assessment of EDCs in Korea
웹 기반 EDCs 생태 독성 자료베이스 모델 및 시스템 개발
- Received : 2017.09.15
- Accepted : 2017.10.23
- Published : 2017.10.31
Objectives: To establish a system for integrated risk assessment of EDCs in Korea, infrastructure for providing toxicity data of ecological media should be established. Some systems provide soil ecotoxicity databases along with aquatic ecotoxicity information, but a well-structured ecotoxicity database system is still lacking. Methods: Aquatic and soil ecotoxicological information were collected by a toxicologist based on a human readable data (HRD) format for collecting ecotoxicity data that we provided. Among these data, anomalies were removed according to database normalization theory. Also, the data were cleaned and encoded to establish a machine-readable data (MRD) ecotoxicity database system. Results: We have developed a multi-purpose ecotoxicity database model focusing on EDCs, ecological species, and toxic effects. Also, we have constructed a web-based data searching system to retrieve, extract, and download data with greater availability. Conclusions: The results of our study will contribute to decision-making as a tool for efficient ecological risk assessment of EDCs in Korea.
Ecological risk assessment;ecotoxicity database model;endocrine disrupting chemicals (EDCs);web-based;searching system
Grant : EDCs 통합위해관리를 위한 한국형 환경 및 생태 위해성 평가 기술 개발
Supported by : 환경부
- US EPA. 1996. Special report on environmental endocrine disruption: an effects assessment and analysis. EPA/630/R-96/012. Available https://archive.epa.gov/raf/web/pdf/endocrine.pdf [Accessed 21 Jul 2017].
- Gomes RL, Deacon HE, Lai KM, Birkett JW, Scrimshaw MD, Lester LN. An assessment of the bioaccumulation of estrone in Daphnia magna. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2004; 23: 105-108. https://doi.org/10.1897/02-613
- Lai KM, Scrimshaw MD, Lester JN. Biotransformation and bioconcentration of steroid estrogens by Chlorella vularis. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2002a; 68: 859-864. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.68.2.859-864.2002
- Lai KM, Scrimshaw MD, Lester JN. Prediction of the bioaccumulation factors and body burden of natural and synthetic estrogens in aquatic organisms in the river systems. Sci Total Environ. 2002b; 289: 159-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-9697(01)01036-1
- Ko A, Heo JY, Kang YW, Kang KJ, Chung MS, Lee H. Design of integrated reduction platform for food contaminants derived from environment by interagency collaboration network in Korea. J Environ Health Sci. 2017; 43(4): 1-7.
- US EPA. 1998. Guidelines for Ecological Risk Assessment. EPA/630/R-95/002F. Available https://www.epa.gov/risk/guidelines-ecological-risk-assessment [Accessed 21 Jul 2017].
- Philips L, Johnson M, Deener K, Bonanni, C. EPA's Exposure Assessment Toolbox (EPA-Expo-Box). J Environ Inform. 2015; 25(2): 81-84. https://doi.org/10.3808/jei.201400269
- Catalogue of life: August 2017. Available: http://www.catalogueoflife.org/col/ [Accessed 5 Sept 2017].
- Wikipedia. Available: https://www.wikipedia.org/[Accessed 31 Aug 2017].
- Korean Ministry of Environment and National Institute of Environmental Research. 2006. Development of indigenous species for environmental toxicity assessment.
- Korean National Institute of Biological Resources, 2016. 2016 List of national species.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development guidelines for the testing of chemicals, section 2: effects on biotic systems. Available: http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/environment/oecd-guidelinesfor-the-testing-of-chemicals-section-2-effects-onbiotic-systems_20745761 [Accessed 1 Sept 2017].
- National Institute of Environmental Research. 2017. NIER notification No. 2017-4, standard test methods. Available: http://www.kcma.or.kr/bbs/view.asp?bbs_idx=5245&bbs_code=14&bbs_class=&bbs_-search_type=1&bbs_search_word=&page=1 [Accessed 1 Sept 2017].
- ASTM, 2003. ASTM standard guide for conducting acute toxicity tests on test materials with fishes, macroinvertebrates, and amphibians, Sept 13rd, 2004. E729-96(2002). Avialbale: http://poseidonsciences.com/ASTM_E_729.pdf [Accessed 13 Oct 2017].
- US EPA, 2002. Methods for measuring the acute toxicity of effluents and receiving waters to freshwater and marine organisms, Oct 2002. Available: https://www3.epa.gov/region6/water/npdes/wet/wet_methods_manuals/atx.pdf [Accessed 13 Oct 2017].
- van Gestel Soil ecotoxicology: state of the art and future directions. Zookeys. 2012; 176: 275-296. https://doi.org/10.3897/zookeys.176.2275
- US EPA, 1996. Problems of aquatic toxicology biotesting and water quality management. Proceedings of USA-Russia symposium, Borok, Jaroslavl Oblast, July 21st-23rd, 1992. EPA/600/R-96/090. Available: https://www.cerc.usgs.gov/pubs/center/pdfdocs/90880.pdf [Accessed 12 Sept 2017].
- ECOTOXicology Knowledgebase system ECOTOX coding guidelines. Available: https://cfpub.epa.gov/ecotox/blackbox/help/ecotoxsop.pdf [Accessed 12 Sept 2017].
- Lambers H, Chapin FS, Pons TL, Plant physiological ecology, 2nd ed. New York, Springer Science; 2016. p. 1-568.
- Kwo N, Suh J, Lee H. Data cleaning and integration of multi-year dietary survey in the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES) using database normalization theory. J Environ Health Sci. 2017; 43(4): 1-9.
- Choi HS, Oh HJ, Choi H, Choi WH, Kim JG, Kim KM. Vitamin D Insufficiency in Korea-A Greater Threat to Younger Generation: The Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES) 2008. 2011; 96(3): 643-651. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2010-2133
- Korean Ministry of Environment, 2006. Pilot project for introduction of integrated toxicity management system for hazardous substances of water quality ('05).