- Volume 43 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Exposure Factor Development of Children's Hand and Mouthing Activities Using Videotaping Methodology and Analysis of Influential Factors
어린이들의 비의도적 행위에 대한 노출계수 개발 및 영향요인 분석
- Jung, Dayoung (Environmental Health Research and Risk Assessment Division, National Institute of Environment Research) ;
- Yoon, Hyojung (Environmental Health Research and Risk Assessment Division, National Institute of Environment Research) ;
- Yang, Wonho (Department of Occupational Health, Daegu Catholic University) ;
- Kim, Taksoo (Environmental Health Research and Risk Assessment Division, National Institute of Environment Research) ;
- Seo, JungKwan (Environmental Health Research and Risk Assessment Division, National Institute of Environment Research) ;
- Heo, Jung (Environmental Health Research and Risk Assessment Division, National Institute of Environment Research) ;
- Ryu, Hyunsoo (Department of Occupational Health, Daegu Catholic University) ;
- Kim, Sunshin (Department of Occupational Health, Daegu Catholic University) ;
- Choi, Min-Ji (Department of Occupational Health, Daegu Catholic University)
- 정다영 (국립환경과학원 환경건강연구부) ;
- 윤효정 (국립환경과학원 환경건강연구부) ;
- 양원호 (대구가톨릭대학교 산업보건학과) ;
- 김탁수 (국립환경과학원 환경건강연구부) ;
- 서정관 (국립환경과학원 환경건강연구부) ;
- 허정 (국립환경과학원 환경건강연구부) ;
- 류현수 (대구가톨릭대학교 산업보건학과) ;
- 김순신 (대구가톨릭대학교 산업보건학과) ;
- 최민지 (대구가톨릭대학교 산업보건학과)
- Received : 2017.10.12
- Accepted : 2017.10.23
- Published : 2017.10.31
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to develop exposure factor data for the Korean child population, with a specific focus on behavior characteristics such as hand-to-mouth and object-to-mouth and an analysis of influential factors. Methods: We divided environments into two places, which were house/indoor and nursery. A total of 400 children (house/indoor) and a total of 162 children (nursery) were recruited from the cities of Seoul, Incheon, Daegu, and Gwangju. The children were divided into two groups. We conducted direct measurement by using one hour of videotaping alongside questionnaire surveys. This was performed to calculate behavior rates, such as how many children perform hand-to-mouth and object-to-mouth behaviors. Results: The respective average frequencies of hand-to-mouth and object-to-mouth were
- WHO. Principles for evaluating health risks in children associated with exposure to chemicals. Environmental Health Criteria 237, 2006.
- US EPA. Exposure factors are factors related to human behavior and characteristics that help determine an individual's exposure to an agent. Exposure Factors Handbook. 2011.
- Gephart LA, Tell JG, Triemer LR. Exposure factors manual. Journal of Soil Contamination. 1994; 3(1): 1-71.
- Goot ME, Lekkerkerk MC, Steenbekkers LPA. Mouthing behavior of young children: an observational study. The Netherlands: Agricultural University Wageningen Press. 1998
- Kim JK, Seo JK, Kim T, Park G. Survey of exposure factors for risk assessment of Hazardous Materials in Child-Specific Products. The Korean Journal of Environmental Health. 2014; 40(1): 17-26. https://doi.org/10.5668/JEHS.2014.40.1.17
- Kim JH, Moon JH. Study on the classification schemes of children's libraries in Korea. Journal of Korean Library and Information Science Society. 2007; 38(2): 315-335.
- Jung SE. The characteristics of childhood injuries compared to adult injuries. Journal of the Korean Medical Association. 2008; 51(3): 214-218. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2008.51.3.214
- Bearer CF. How are children different from adults. Environ Health Perspect. 1995; 103(Suppl 6): 7-12. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.95103s97
- Adolph KE, Eppler MA, Gibson EJ. Development of perception of affordances. Advances in infancy research. 1993; 8: 51-98.
- Rochat P, Senders SJ. Active touch in infancy action systems in development. 1991
- Bly L. Motor skills acquisition in the first year. 1994.
- US EPA. Child-Specific Exposure Factors Handbook. 2008
- National Institute of Environment Research. Korean exposure factors handbook for children, 2016.
- Davis S. Myers PA, Kohler E,Wiggins C. Soil Ingestion in Children with Pica: Final Report. U.S. EPA Cooperative Agreement CR 816334-01. Seattle, Washington: Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. 1995.
- Tulve NS, Suggs JC, McCurdy T, Cohen Hubal EA, Moya J. Frequency of mouthing behavior in young children. Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology. 2002; 12(4): 259-264 https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.jea.7500225
- AuYeung W, Canales R., Beamer P, Ferguson AC, Leckie JO. Young children's mouthing behavior: An observational study via videotaping in a primarily outdoor residential setting. Journal of Children's Health. 2004; 2(34): 271-295. https://doi.org/10.1080/15417060490960215
- Black K, Shalat SL, Freeman NCG, Jimenez M, Donnelly KC, Calvin JA. Children's mouthing and food-handling behavior in an agricultural community on the US/Mexico border. Journal of Exposure Analysis and Environmental Epidemiology, 2005; 15(3): 244-251. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.jea.7500398
- Freeman CG, Jimenez M, Reed KJ, Gurunathan S, Edwards RD, Roy A, Adgate JL, Pellizzari ED,Quackenboss J, Sexton K, Lioy PJ. Quantitative analysis of children's microactivity patterns: The Minnesota children's pesticide exposure study. Journal of Exposure Analysis and Environmental Epidemiology.2001; 11: 501-509. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.jea.7500193
- Xue J, Zartarian V, Moya J, Freeman N, Beamer P, Black K, Tulve N, Shalat S. A Meta-Analysis of Children's Hand-to-Mouth Frequency Data for Estimating Nondietary Ingestion Exposure. Risk Analysis: 2007: 27(2):411420
- O'Brien, S.J., Childhood Stress: A Creeping phenomenon. Childhood Education, Winter. 37, 105-196, 1998.
- Song KS, Kwak SJ, Kim YH. Effects of Kindergarten Management Hours, Parental Academic Involvement, & Young Children's Stress on Problem Behaviors. Journal of Human Ecology: 2008:12(2): 35-53.
- Tsou MC, Ozkaynak H, Beamer P, Dang W, Hsi C, Jiang CB, Chien LC. Mouthing activity data for children age 3 to <6 years old and fraction of hand area mouthed for children age <6 years old in Taiwan. Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology. 2017.
- Tsou MC, Ozkaynak H, Beamer P, Dang W, Hsi HC, Jiang CB, Chien LC. Mouthing activity data for children age 30 to <6 years old and fraction of hand area mouthed for children age <6 years old in Taiwan. Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology. In Press.