- Volume 27 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Appraisal of Clinical Practice Guidelines of Temporomandibular Disorders Using AGREE II (Appraisal of Guidelines for Research & Evaluation II)
AGREE II를 이용한 턱관절 장애의 국내외 기개발 임상진료지침의 평가
- Yoon, Ye-Ji ;
- Park, Hye-Sung ;
- Kim, Hyungsuk ;
- Jeon, Junyung ;
- Park, Jae-Hyun ;
- Shin, Woochul ;
- Kim, Seyoon ;
- Bae, Jun-hyeong ;
- Yun, Jung-min ;
- Kim, Koh-Woon ;
- Ha, In-Hyuk ;
- Lee, Yoon-Jae ;
- Kim, Me-riong ;
- Song, Mi-Yeon ;
- Cho, Jae-Heung
- Received : 2017.09.14
- Accepted : 2017.09.28
- Published : 2017.10.31
Objectives This study is aimed to identify and evaluate the already developed clinical practice guidelines (CPGs) of temporomandibular disorders (TMD) and contribute to making decisions in developing Korean medicine CPG of TMD. Methods We searched electronic database and selected CPGs of TMD according to the inclusion and exclusion criteria. Then, we made appraisal of selected CPGs by using AGREE II (Appraisal of Guidelines for Research & Evaluation II). Results Four CPGs are included and appraised with AGREE II. Among 6 domains of AGREE II, all CPGs failed to score over 60% in four domains. Only one CPG mentioned acupuncture as an adjunctive treatment for myofascial TMD. Conclusions It is difficult to indicate that included CPGs are with sufficient quality to recommend and it appears not to be appropriate to apply these already developed CPGs in Korean medicine clinical fields. Therefore, developing a new Korean medicine clinical practice guideline of TMD is required.
Temporomandibular disorder;Clinical practice guideline;Appraisal of Guidelines for Research & Evaluation
- Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on Standards for Developing Trustworthy Clinical Practice Guidelines. Clinical Practice Guidelines We Can Trust. 1st. Washington D.C. : National Academies Press (US). 2011 : 1-4.
- Chun PS, Lee YS. An Investigation of Current Status of the Clinical Practice Guidelines in Korea. Korean J Clin Pharm. 2015;25(3):178-86.
- Steering Committee for Clinical Practice Guideline. Korean Appraisal of Guidelines for Research & Evaluation II. 2012 [cited 2017 Sep 4]; Available from: URL: http://bada.hb.se/bitstream/2320/11159/1/M2012_20.pdf
- Choi TY, Choi J, Lee JA, Jun JH, Park B, Lee MS. The quality of clinical practice guidelines in traditional medicine in Korea: appraisal using the AGREE II instrument. Implement Sci [Internet]. 2015 Dec [cited 2017 Aug 31];10(1). Available from: http://implementationscience. biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13012-015-0294-1
- Ye ZK, Liu Y, Cui XL, Liu LH. Critical appraisal of the Quality of Clinical Practice Guidelines for Stress Ulcer prophylaxis. PLoS One. 2016 May;11(5): e0155020. Available from: URL:https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0155020 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0155020
- Holmer HK, Ogden LA, Burda BU, Norris SL. Quality of Clinical Practice Guidelines for Glycemic Control in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Pereira RI, editor. PLoS ONE. 2013 Apr 5;8(4):e58625. Available from: URL:https://doi.org/10.1371/ journal.pone. 0058625 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0058625
- American Society of Temporomandibular Joint Surgeons. Guidelines for diagnosis and management of disorders involving the temporomandibular joint and related musculoskeletal structures. Cranio J Craniomandib Pract. 2003 Jan;21(1):68-76.
- Royal college of dental surgeons of ontario. Diagnosis & Management of Temporomandibular Disorders & Related Musculoskeletal Disorders. 2009 Jul. Available from: URL: http://www.rcdso.org/save.aspx?id=67cf07e5-ee36- 4f7d-a45f-57ce198ba0d5
- American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry. Guideline on acquired temporo mandibular disorders in infants, children, and adolescents. Pediatr Dent. 2015;37(6):272-8.
- Gauer RL, Semidey MJ. Diagnosis and treatment of temporomandibular disorders. Am Fam Physician. 2016; 91(6):378-86.
- Korea Health Industry Development Institute. National demand for research on herbal medical realities and traditional Korean medicine R&D. 2008 Jan 31. Available from: URL: http://www.ndsl.kr/ndsl/search/detail/report/reportSearchResult Detail.do?cn=TRKO201100002819
- Kim C. Conservative treatment modalities for patients with temporomandibular joint disorders. The journal of the Korean dental association. 2013;51(2):74-83.
- Choi YC, Kim ST. Diagnosis and Treatment of Temporomandibular Disorders. Journal of Korean Academy of Stomatognathic function and occlusion. 2009;25(4):319-28.
- National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. 2013 Jul 28. Facial Pain. Available from: URL: http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/DataStatistics/FindDataByTopic/FacialPain/
- Schiffman E, Ohrbach R, Truelove E, Look J, Anderson G, Goulet J-P. Diagnostic Criteria for Temporomandibular Disorders (DC/TMD) for Clinical and Research Applications: recommendations of the International RDC/TMD Consortium Network and Orofacial Pain Special Interest Group. J Oral Facial Pain Headache. 2014; 28(1):6-27. https://doi.org/10.11607/jop.1151
- Huh J. Donguibogam. Korea:Donguibogam Publishing Co. 2010:997
- Huh J. Donguibogam. Korea:Donguibogam Publishing Co. 2010:587
- Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society Textbook Compilation Committee. Acupuncture(1). Paju: Jipmoondang. 2008:24, 45-6.
- Cho JH, Lee HE, Lee H, Jung HS, Kim ES, Han KW, Moon JY. The Clinical Study on 194 Patients of Temporomandibular Disorder. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2009;25(4):39-47.
- Cho SH, Whang WW. Acupuncture for temporomandibular disorders: a systematic review. J Orofac Pain. 2010;24(2):152-62.
- La Touche R, Goddard G, De-la-Hoz JL. Acupuncture in the treatment of pain in temporomandibular disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Clin J Pain. 2010;26(6):541-50. https://doi.org/10.1097/AJP.0b013e3181e2697e
- Dans AL, Dans LF. Appraising a tool for guideline appraisal (the AGREE II instrument). J Clin Epidemiol. 2010 Dec;63(12):1281-2. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2010.06.005
- Chiappini E, Bortone B, Galli L, de Martino M. Guidelines for the symptomatic management of fever in children: systematic review of the literature and quality appraisal with AGREE II. BMJ Open. 2017;7(7):e015404. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2016-015404
Supported by : 한국보건산업진흥원