- Volume 27 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
4 Cases of Patients That Improved from Traffic Accident Which Caused Lumbar Spine Compression Fracture by Complex Korean Medical Admission Treatment: Retrospective Case Study
교통 사고 이후 발생한 요추부 압박골절에 한방복합입원치료로 호전된 환자 4례: 후향적 증례 연구
- Hong, Je-Rak ;
- Kim, Yu-Jong ;
- Kim, Ji-Su ;
- Lee, Jeong-Ryol ;
- Kim, Tae-Gyu ;
- Yoo, Do-Hyun ;
- Choi, In-Seok ;
- Lee, Sang-Won
- Received : 2017.09.14
- Accepted : 2017.09.28
- Published : 2017.10.31
Objectives The objective of this study is to report 4 patients who had vertebral compression fracture after traffic accident, that had a complex korean medical admission treatment. Methods In this study we collected the data of traffic accident patients that came to receive intense Korean medical treatment, and had compression fracture of the lumbar spine. A total of 4 patients were studied and we compared the Visual Analogue Scale (VAS) score and the Pain-Free Walking Distance (PFWD) at addmission date and 19th day of hospitalization. Results After receiving an average of 22.25 days of admission treatment, all patients showed a significant decrease in VAS scores and increase in PFWD. The median VAS score at date of admission was 6.5 (VAS 6~9) and decreased to 3.5 (VAS 3~5), median PFWD was 37.5 (30~45) m and increased to 435 (420~450) m. Conclusions After complex korean medicine admission treatment, 4 patients with vertebral compression fracture caused by traffic accident showed decrease of pain and increase of walking distance. But there is a need for further studys to be done on treatment methods and evaluation methods.
Compression fracture;Complex Korean medical treatment;Traffic accident
- Donnally III CJ, Dulebohn SC. Fracture, Compression. StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2017 Jun-2017 Aug 20. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK448171/
- Suhaib R, Andrew CK. A Case of Male Osteoporosis: A 37-Year-Old Man with Multiple Vertebral Compression Fractures. Hindawi. 2017;2017:1-7.
- Ye C, Luo Z, Yu X, Liu H, Zhang, Dai M. Comparing the efficacy of short-segment pedicle screw instrumentation with and without intermediate screws for treating unstable thoracolumbar fractures. Medicine. 2017;96(34):1-5.
- Cho SW. Survey on Expectation of Korean Medicine Treatment in 39 Cases by Traffic Accident. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2013;23(3):187-99.
- Kim EG, Cha YY, Study on Characteristics of 7-Zone-Diagnostic System before and after Treatment in the Traffic Accident Patients and Patients with Low Back Pain or Nuchal Pain. Korean J. Oriental Physiology & Pathology. 2009;232(1);225-31.
- Koroad.Traffic Accident Analysis Center. Traffic Accident Statistics 2015 [Internet]. Korea: Road Traffic Authority ; c1980-2016. [cited 2016 August 08]. Available from: http://taas.koroad.or.kr/sta/acs/gus/selectTfcacdTrend.do?menuId=WEB_KMP_OVT_TAC_TCO.
- Frank AP, Narayan Y, Dennis JM. Thoracolumbar Spine Fractures in Frontal Impact Crashes. Annals of Advances in Automotive Medicine. 2012;56:277-83.
- Song Z, Chang-yan X, Ao-ran Z et al. Comparison of the efficacy and safety of 3 treatments for patients with osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96(26):e7328. https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000007328
- Park JO, Jung H, Heo Ds. Clinical Study of the Effects of Gwibi-tang and Danggwisusan on Traffic Accident Patients with Acute Cervicolumbar Disorder. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2015;25(3):81-90.
- Kim TH, Park WH, Cha YY. A Retrospective Study on the Effects of ShinBaro Pharmacopuncture and Jungsongouhyul Pharmacopuncture on Whiplash Injury by Traffic Accident. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2013;23(4):1-7.
- Silverman SL. The clinical consequences of vertebral compression fracture. Elsevier. 1992;13(2):27-31.
- Klazen CAH, Lohle PNM, J de Vries et al. Vertebroplasty versus conservative treatment in acute osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures (Vertos II). The Lancet. 2010; 376(9746):1085-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(10)60954-3
- Rousing R, Andersen MO, Jespersen SM, et al. Percutaneous Vertebroplasty Compared to Conservative Treatment in Patients With Painful Acute or Subacute Osteoporotic Vertebral Fractures: Three-Months Follow-up in a Clinical Randomized Study. Spine. 2009;34(13):1349-54. https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0b013e3181a4e628
- Kim DE, Kim JH, Joung JS, et al. A Review of Recent Studies for Treatment of Compression Fracture Using CNKI Database. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2017;27(3):1-12.