- Volume 12 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Inductor Design Method of DCM Interleaved PFC Circuit for 6.6-kW On-board Charger
- You, Bong-Gi (Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Lee, Byoung-Kuk (Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Kim, Dong-Hee (Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University)
- Received : 2017.04.06
- Accepted : 2017.07.17
- Published : 2017.11.01
Because the on-board charger (OBC) is installed in electric vehicles (EVs), high power density is regarded as a key technology. Among components of the OBC, inductors occupy more than 30% of the total volume. Thus, it is important to reduce the volume and the weight of inductors while maintaining thermal stability. Discontinuous conduction mode (DCM) can satisfy these requirements; however, only a few studies have adopted the DCM operation for OBCs because of the large inductor current ripple. In this paper, a design process is proposed for application of the DCM operation to OBCs. In order to analyze the inductor losses accurately, a numerical formula for the inductor current ripple is deduced based on a detailed analysis. Two inductors are fabricated using several ferrite cores and powder cores taking into consideration the inductor size, inductor losses, and temperature rise. In order to verify the analysis and design process, experimental results are presented that show that the designed inductors satisfy the requirements of the OBCs.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)
- Electric Vehicle and Plug in Hybrid Electric Vehicle Conductive Charger Coupler, SAE Recommended Practice J1772, Jan. 2010.
- D. H. Kim, M. J. Kim, and B. K. Lee, "An Integrated Battery Charger with High Power Density and Efficiency for Electric Vehicles," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 32, no. 6, 4553-4565, Jun. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2016.2604404
- D. Ouwerkerk, T. Han, and J. Preston, "Efficiency improvement using a hybrid power module in 6.6kW non-isolated on-vehicle charger," in Proc. IEEE Veh. Power Propul. Conf., Seoul Korea, pp. 284-288, 2012.
- S. Haghibin, K. Khan, S. Zhao, M. Alakula, S. Lundmark, and O. Carlson, "An integrated 20-kW motor drive and isolated battery charger for plug-in vehicles," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 4013-4029, Aug. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2230274
- D. H. Kim, G. Y. Choe, and B. K. Lee, "DCM Analysis and Inductance Design Method of Interleaved Boost Converters", IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 4700-4711, Oct. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2236579
- J. Turchi, D. Dalal, P. Wang, and L. Jenck, "Power Factor Correction (PFC) Handbook-Choosing the right power factor controller solution," On Semiconductor, Technical paper HBD853/D, Apr. 2014.
- J. Y. Lee amd H. J. Chae, "6.6-kW Onboard Charger Design Using DCM PFC Converter With Harmonic Modulation Technique and Two-Stage DC/DC Converter ," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 1243-1252, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2262749
- B.G. You, J.S. Kim, B.K. Lee, G.B. Choi, D.W. Yoo, "Optimization of powder core inductors of buckboost converters for Hybrid Electric Vehicles," Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), pp.730 -735, 2009.
- [Online]. Available: http://www.changsung.com/powdercore/technical-data/e-catalog.pdf
- [Online]. Available: http://www.todaisu.co.kr/product/catalogue(Ferrite)11.pdf
- Waseem A. Roshen, "Fringing Field Formulas and Winding Loss Due to an Air Gap" IEEE Trans on Magnetics, vol. 43, no. 8, Aug. 2007.
- J. Liu, T. G.Wilson, R. C.Wong, R.Wunderlich, and F. C. Lee, "A method for inductor core loss estimation in power factor correction applications," in Proc. IEEE APEC, pp. 439-445, 2002.