- Volume 12 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
In-wheel Motor Design for an Electric Scooter
- Lee, Ji-Young (Electric Motor Research Center, Korea Electrotechnology Research Institute) ;
- Woo, Byung-Chul (Electric Motor Research Center, Korea Electrotechnology Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Jong-Moo (Electric Motor Research Center, Korea Electrotechnology Research Institute) ;
- Oh, Hong-Seok (Star Group Industry Company (SGI))
- Received : 2017.05.15
- Accepted : 2017.08.16
- Published : 2017.11.01
The aim of this paper is to provide an optimal design of in-wheel motor for an electric scooter (E-scooter) considering economical production. The preliminary development in-wheel motor, which has a direct-driven outer rotor type attached to the E-scooter's rear wheel without any gear, is introduced first. The objective of the optimal design of this in-wheel motor is to improve the output characteristics of the motor and to have a stator form to facilitate automatic winding. Response surface methodology was used for the optimal design and 2-dimensional finite element method was used for electro-magnetic field analysis. Experimental results showed that the designed and fabricated in-wheel motor could satisfy the required specifications in terms of speed, power, efficiency, and cogging torque.
Supported by : NST
- K. Sone, M. Takemoto, S. Ogasawara, K. Takezaki, and H. Akiyama, "A ferrite PM in-wheel motor without raer earth materials for electric city commuters," IEEE Trans. Magn., vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 2961-2964, Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2012.2196685
- S. Chung, S. Moon, D. Kim, and J. Kim, "Development of a 20-pole-24-slot SPMSM with consequent pole rotor for in-wheel direct drive," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 302-309, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2015.2472375
- C. J. Ifedi, B. C. Mecrow, S. T. M. Brockway, B. S. Boast, G. J. Atkinson, and D. K. Perovic, "Faulttolerant in-wheel motor topologies for highperformance electric vehicle," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 1249-1257, May/June 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2013.2252131
- Y. P. Yang, H. C. Lin, F. C. Tsai, C. T. Lu, and K. H. Tu, "Design and integration of dual power wheels with rim motors for a powered wheelchair," IET Electr. Power Appl., vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 419-428, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2011.0334
- Y. P. Yang, W. C. Huang, and C. W. Lai, "Optimal design of rim motor for electric powered wheelchair," IET Electr. Power Appl., vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 825-832, 2007 https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa:20060470
- Y. P. Yang, F. X. Ding, "Driving-scenario oriented design of an axial-flux permanent-magnet synchronous motor for a pedal electric cycle," IET Electr. Power Appl., vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 420-428, 2015 https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2014.0351
- T. F. Chan, L. T. Yan, and S.Y. Fang, "In-wheel permanent-magnet brushless dc motor drive for an electric bicycle," IEEE Trans. Energy conversion, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 229-233, June 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2002.1009473
- A. Muetze and Y. C. Tan, "Electric bicycles - a performance evaluation," IEEE Ind. Appl. Magazine, pp. 12-21, 2007.
- Z. Q. Zhu and D. Howe, "Electrical machines and drives for electric, hybrid, and fuel cell vehicles," Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 746-765, April 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2006.892482
- T. Kim, O. Vodyakho, and J. Yang, "Fuel cell hybrid electric scooter," IEEE Ind. Appl. Magazine, pp. 25-31, Mar/Apr. 2011.
- D. Fodorean, L. Idoumghar, and L. Szabo, "Motorization for an electric scooter by using permanentmagnet machines optimized based on a hybrid metaheuristic Algorithm," IEEE Trans. Vehicular Technology, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 39-49, January 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2012.2215970
- Y. Yang, C. Lee, and P. Hung, "Multi-objective optimal design of an axial-flux permanent-magnet wheel motor for electric scooters," IET Electr. Power Appl., vol. 8, iss. 1, pp. 1-12, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2013.0026
- I. Husan, Electric and Hybric Vehicles Design Fundamentals 2nd Edition, CRC Press, 2011.
- YM. Ehsani, Y. Gao, S. E. Gay, and A. Emadi, Modern Electric, Hybrid Electric, and Fuel Cell Vehicle, CRC Press, 2004.
- L. Guzzella and A. Sciarretta, Vehicle Propulsion Systems- Introduction to Modeling and Optimization 2nd Edition, Springer, 2007.
- Y. Chen, X. Li, C. Wiet, and J. Wang, "Energy management and driving strategy for in-wheel motor electric ground vehicles with terrain profile preview," IEEE Trans. Industrial Informatics, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 1938-1947, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2013.2290067
- J. Larminie and J. Lowry, Electric Vehicle Technology- Explained, Wiley, 2003.
- J. Lee, J. Kim, and B. Woo, "Optimal design of inwheel motor for an E-bike," in Proc. 2016 IEEE Transportation Electrification Conference and Expo (ITEC Asia-pacific), pp.441-443, 2016.
- D. Hong, J. Lee, B. Woo, D. Park, and B. Nam, "Investigating a direct-drive PM type synchronous machine for turret application using optimization," IEEE Trans. Magn., vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 4491-4494, November 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2012.2199096
- Maxwell online help, Ansys Corporation, Maxwell 16.0
- R. H. Myers and D. C. Montgomery, Response Surface Methodology: Process and Product Optimization Using Designed Experments, Nework, NY, USA: Wiley, 2002.
- S. Lee, J. Hong, S. Hwang, W. Lee, J. Lee, and Y. Kim, "Optimal design for noise reduction in interior permanent-magnet motor," IEEE Trnas. Ind. Appl., vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 1954-1960, Nov. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2009.2031905
- J. Lee, B. Park, and B. Woo, "Design and comparison of multistage axial flux permanent magnet machines for portable generating application," Journal of Magnetics, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 1-8, 2015. https://doi.org/10.4283/JMAG.2015.20.1.001
- J. Xie, D. Kang, B. Woo, J. Lee, Z. Sha, and S. Zhao, "Optimal design of transverse flux machine for high contribution of permanent magnet to torque using response surface methology," JEET, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 745-752, 2012.
- S. Chung, and J. Kim, "Double-sided iron-core PMLSM mover teeth arrangement design for reduction of detent force and speed ripple," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 3000-3008, May 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2015.2511079
- D. Wang, X. Wang, and S. Jung, "Cogging torque minimization and torque ripple suppression in surface-mounted permanent magnet synchronous machines using different magnet widths," IEEE Trans. Magn., vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 2295-2298, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2013.2242454