- Volume 49 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Physicochemical properties and antioxidant activities of baked waffle added with cinnamon powder
베이킹 열처리로 제조된 계피 첨가 와플의 이화학적 특성과 산화방지활성
- Received : 2017.04.26
- Accepted : 2017.05.15
- Published : 2017.10.31
Waffles with cinnamon powder added in different proportions (0-12% of wheat flour) were baked to investigate the effects of baking on the physicochemical properties and antioxidant activity. Compared with the control without cinnamon, baking loss was lower in waffles with cinnamon, which led to a decrease in waffle hardness. This was attributable to the higher water-holding capacity of cinnamon than wheat flour. With the increase in the amount of cinnamon, the springiness, resilience, and cohesiveness of the waffle decreased, which was thought to result from the decrease in gluten formation by the proportional decrease of wheat flour. The total reducing capacity and DPPH radical scavenging activity of the waffle was significantly increased. This was substantially in agreement with the observations that cinnamon had an appreciable total reducing capacity and radical scavenging activity that were unchanged by heat treatment. This indicates that the antioxidant functionality of cinnamon could be effectively added to thermally processed food.
cinnamon;baking;heat;water-holding capacity;antioxidant activity
- Manzocco L, Calligaris S, Mastrocola D, Nicoli MC, Lerici CR. Review of non-enzymatic browning and antioxidant capacity in processed foods. Trends Food Sci. Tech. 11: 340-346 (2001)
- Wikipedia. Cinnamon. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon. Accessed Apr. 18, 2017.
- Mathew S, Abraham TE. In vitro antioxidant activity and scavenging effects of Cinnamomum verum leaf extract assayed by different methodologies. Food Chem. Toxicol. 44: 198-206 (2006) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2005.06.013
- Jayaprakasha GK, Negi PS, Jena BS, Rao LJM. Antioxidant and antimutagenic activities of Cinnamomum zeylanicum fruit extracts. J. Food Compos. Anal. 20: 330-336 (2007) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2006.07.006
- Yang EJ, Kim SI, Hur JM, Song KS. Roasting process enhances antioxidative effect of cinnamon (Cinnamomi Cortex) via increase in cinnamaldehyde content. J. Korean Soc. Appl. Biol. Chem. 52: 443-447 (2009) https://doi.org/10.3839/jksabc.2009.077
- AOAC. Official Methods of Analysis of the AOAC. Method 984.13. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Gaithersburg, MD, USA (1990)
- Medcalf DF, Gilles KA. Wheat starches I. Comparison of physicochemical properties. Cereal Chem. 42: 558 (1965)
- Singleton VL, Orthofer R, Lamuela-Raventos RM. Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of Folin-Ciocalteu reagent. Method. Enzymol. 299: 152-178 (1999)
- Brand-Williams W, Cuvelier ME, Berset C. Use of a free radical method to evaluate antioxidant activity. Lebensm. Wiss. Technol. 28: 25-30 (1995) https://doi.org/10.1016/S0023-6438(95)80008-5
- Gong W. I Love Waffle. Mediawill, Seoul, Korea. pp. 17-18 (2011)
- The National Institute of the Korean Language. Standard Korean Language Dictionary. Availabe from: http://www.korean.go.kr. Accessed Mar. 12, 2016.
- Wikipedia. Cinnamaldehyde. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamaldehyde. Accessed Mar. 15, 2017.
- Kim SB, Lee KH. Quality characteristics of waffle added with coconut powder. J. East Asian Soc. Diet. Life 26: 380-388 (2016) https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2016.8.26.4.380
- Choi SN, Chung NY, Kim HJ. Quality characteristics of waffle by adding brown rice flour. Korean J. Food Cook. Sci. 29: 47-52 (2013) https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2013.29.1.47
- Kim HG, Kim NJ, Whang EM, Shin WS. Effects of brown rice and brown rice powder mixing ratio on the preference analysis of the waffles and rice ball. J. Food Cook. Sci. 30: 146-152 (2014) https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2014.30.2.146
- Choi Y, Lee SM, Chun J, Lee HB, Lee J. Influence of heat treatment on the antioxidant activities and polyphenolic compounds of Shiitake (Lentinus edodes) mushroom. Food Chem. 99: 381-387 (2006) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.08.004
- Dewanto V, Wu X, Adom KK, Liu RH. Thermal processing enhances the nutritional value of tomatoes by increasing totoal antioxidant activity. J. Agr. Food Chem. 50: 3010-3014 (2002) https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0115589
- Xu G, Ye X, Chen J, Liu D. Effect of heat treatment on the phenolic compounds and antioxidant capacity of citrus peel extract. J. Agr. Food Chem. 55: 330-335 (2007) https://doi.org/10.1021/jf062517l
- Kim SY, Jeong SM, Park WP, Nam KC, Ahn DU, Lee SC. Effect of heating conditions of grape seeds on the antioxidant activity of grape seed extracts. Food Chem. 97: 472-479 (2006) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.05.027
- Lee KW. Recent trend and future of bakery industry. Food Ind. Nutr. 19: 38-46 (2014)
- Wikipedia. Waffle. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffle. Accessed Apr. 17, 2017.
- Wikipedia. Baking. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baking. Apr. 17, 2017.
- Wikipedia.Oven Temperatures. Available from: https://en.wikipedia. org/wiki/Oven_temperatures. g. Apr. 18, 2017.
- Kamaliroosta L, Gharachorloo M, Kamaliroosta Z, Alimohammad ZKH. Extraction of cinnamon essential oil and identification of its chemical compounds. J. Med. Plants Res. 6: 609-614 (2012)
- Kim NM, Ko SR, Choi KJ, Kim WJ. Effect of some factors on extraction of effectual components in cinamon extracts. J. Korean Agric. Chem. Soc. 36: 17-22 (1993)
- Shin JH, Choi DJ, Kwon OC. Physical and sensory characteristics of sponge cakes added steamed garlic and yuza powder. Korean J. Food Nutr. 20: 392-398 (2007)
- Lim EJ. Quality characteristics of sponge cake added with Laminaria japonia powder. Korean J. Food Nutr. 25: 922-929 (2012) https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2012.25.4.922