- Volume 37 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Histochemical Characteristics in Relation to Meat Quality Traits of Eight Major Muscles from Hanwoo Steers
- Joo, Sung-Hyun (Department of Animal Science, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Lee, Kyu-Won (Division of Applied Life Science (BK21+), Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Hwang, Young-Hwa (Institute of Agriculture & Life Science, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Joo, Seon-Tea (Department of Animal Science, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2017.08.08
- Accepted : 2017.09.13
- Published : 2017.10.31
The objective of this study was to determine the relationship between composition of muscle fiber types and meat quality traits of eight major muscles from Hanwoo steers. Longissimus lumborum (LL), psoas major (PM), semimembranosus (SM), semitendinosus (ST), gluteus medius (GM), triceps brachii (TB), rectus abdominis (RA) and superficialis flexor (SF) muscles were obtained from 9 Hanwoo steers and subjected to histochemical analysis. There were significant (p<0.05) differences in fiber number percentage (FNP) and fiber area percentage (FAP) of fiber types among these 8 major muscles. SF had the highest FNP of type I (55.9%), followed by PM (46.4%), TB (45.4%), RA (38.5%), LD (36.8%), GM (36.0%), SM (22.2%), and ST (18.8%). FAP of type IIB ranged from 9.9% in SF to 58.7% in ST. Meat quality traits, including fat content, myoglobin content, collagen content, CIE
Supported by : Korean Institute of Planning and Evaluation for Technology in Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (IPET)
- AOAC. (2010) Official Methods of Analysis. 18th ed., Assoc-iation of Official Analysis Chemists, Washington D.C., USA.
- Ashmore, C. R., Tompkins, G., and Doerr, D. (1972) Postnatal development of muscle fiber types in domestic animals. J. Anim. Sci. 34, 37-41. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1972.34137x
- Brooke, M. H. and Kaiser, K. K. (1970) Muscle fiber types: How many and what kind? Arch. Neurol. 23, 369-379. https://doi.org/10.1001/archneur.1970.00480280083010
- Calkins, C. R., Dutson, T. R., Smith, G. C., Carpenter, Z. L., and Davies, G. W. (1981) Relationship of fiber type composition to marbling and tenderness of bovine muscle. J. Food Sci. 46, 708-710. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1981.tb15331.x
- Cho, S. H., Kang, G., Seong, P., Kang, S., Sun, C., Jang, S., Cheong, J. H., Park, B., and Hwang, I. (2017) Meat quality traits as a function of cow maturity. Anim. Sci. J. 88, 781-789. https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12635
- Costa, P., Simoes, J. A., Alves, S. P., Lemos, J. P. C., Alfaia, C. M., Lopes, P. A., Prates J. A. M., Hocquette, J. F., Calkins, C. R., Vleck, V., and Bessa, R. J. B. (2017) Beef palatability and its relationship with protein degradation and muscle fibre type profile in longissimus thoracis in Alentejana breed from divergent growth pathways. Animal 11, 175-182. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731116001373
- Cross, H. R., West, R. L., and Dutson, T. R. (1981) Comparison of methods for measuring sarcomere length in beef semitendinosus muscle. Meat Sci. 5, 261-266. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(81)90016-4
- Folch, J., Lees, M., and Sloane-Stanley, G. H. (1957) A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226, 497-509.
- Garcia-Bunuel, L. and Garcia-Bunuel, V. M. (1967) Connective tissue and the pentose phosphate pathway in normal and denervated muscle. Nature 213, 913-914. https://doi.org/10.1038/213913a0
- Gondret, F., Lefaucheur, L., Juin, H., Louveau, I., and Lebret, B. (2006) Low birth weight is associated with enlarged muscle fiber area and impaired meat tenderness of the longissimus muscle in pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 84, 93-103. https://doi.org/10.2527/2006.84193x
- Gotoh, T. (2003) Histochemical properties of skeletal muscles in Japanese cattle and their meat production ability. Anim. Sci. J. 74, 339-254. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1344-3941.2003.00125.x
- Honikel, K. O. (1987) How to measure the water-holding capacity of meat? Recommendation of standardized methods. In Evaluation and control of meat quality in pigs. Springer Netherlands 129-142.
- Hood, D. E. (1980) Factors affecting the rate of metmyoglobin accumulation in pre-packaged beef. Meat Sci. 4, 247-265. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(80)90026-1
- Hwang, Y. H. and Joo, S. T. (2017) Fatty acid profiles, meat quality, and sensory palatability of grain-fed and grass-fed beef from Hanwoo, American, and Australian crossbred cattle. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 37, 153-161. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2017.37.2.153
- Hwang, Y. H., Kim, G. D., Jeong, J. Y., Hur, S. J., and Joo, S. T. (2010) The relationship between muscle fiber characteristics and meat quality traits of highly marbled Hanwoo (Korean native cattle) steers. Meat Sci. 86, 456-461. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.05.034
- Iwamoto, H., Ono, Y., Gotoh, T., Nishimura, S., Nakanishi, Y., Umetsu, R., and Takahara, H. (1991) Comparative studies on the composition of muscle fiber types in Japanese Black, Japanese Brown and Holstein steers. Anim. Sci. Technol. 62, 674-682.
- Jeong, J. Y., Hur, S. J., Yang, H. S., Moon, S. H., Hwang, Y. H., Park, G. B., and Joo, S. T. (2009) Discoloration characteristics of 3 major muscles from cattle during cold storage. J. Food Sci. 74, C1-C5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2008.00983.x
- Jeremiah, L. E., Gibson, L. L., Aalhus, J. L., and Dugan, M. E. (2003) Assessment of palatability attributes of the major beef muscles. Meat Sci. 65, 949-958. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00307-8
- Joo, S. T., Kauffman, R. G., Borggaard, C., Stevenson-Barry, J. M., Park, G. B., and Kim, B. C. (2000) Objectively predicting quality of post-rigor pork musculature: I. Initial comparison of techniques. Asian-Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 13, 68-76. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2000.68
- Joo, S. T., Kauffman, R. G., Kim, B. C., and Kim, C. J. (1995) The relationship between color and water-holding capacity in postrigor porcine longissimus muscle. J. Muscle Foods 6, 211-226. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.1995.tb00568.x
- Joo, S. T., Kim, G. D., Hwang, Y. H., and Ryu, Y. C. (2013) Control of fresh meat quality through manipulation of muscle fiber characteristics. Meat Sci. 95, 828-836. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2013.04.044
- Jung, E. Y., Hwang, Y. H., and Joo, S. T. (2015) Chemical com- ponents and meat quality traits related to palatability of ten primal cuts from Hanwoo carcasses. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 35, 859-866. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2015.35.6.859
- Jung, E. Y., Hwang, Y. H., and Joo, S. T. (2016) Muscle profiling to improve the value of retail meat cuts. Meat Sci. 120, 47-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2016.04.012
- Kim, K. H., Kim, Y. S., Lee, Y. K., and Baik, M. G. (2000) Postmortem muscle glycolysis and meat quality characteristics of intact male Korean native (Hanwoo) cattle. Meat Sci. 55, 47-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00124-2
- Kovanen, V., Suominen, H., and Heikkinen, E. (1984) Mechanical properties of fast and slow skeletal muscle with special reference to collagen and endurance training. J. Biomech. 19, 725729-727735.
- Larzul, C., Roy, P. L., Gogue, J., Talmant, A., Jacquet, B., and Lefaucheur L. (1999) Selection for reduced muscle glycolytic potential in Large White pig? Correlated responses in meat quality and muscle compositional traits. Genet. Sel. Evol. 31, 61-76. https://doi.org/10.1186/1297-9686-31-1-61
- Laurent, G. J., Sparrow, M. P., Bates, P. C., and Millward, D. J. (1978) Turnover of muscle protein in the fowl. Collagen content and turnover in cardiac and skeletal muscles of the adult fowl and the changes during stretch-induced growth. Biochem. J. 176, 419-427. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj1760419
- Lee, S. H., Joo, S. T., and Ryu, Y. C. (2010) Skeletal muscle fiber type and myofibrillar proteins in relation to meat quality. Meat Sci. 86, 166-170. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.04.040
- Oury, M. P., Dumont, R., Jurie, C., Hocquette, J. F., and Picard, B. (2010) Specific fibre composition and metabolism of the rectus abdominis muscle of bovine Charolais cattle. BMC Biochem. 11, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2091-11-1
- Ozawa, S., Mitsuhashi, T., Mitsumoto, M., Matsumoto, S., Itoh, N., and Itagaki, K. (2000) The characteristics of muscle fiber types of longissimus thoracis muscle and their influences on the quantity and quality of meat from Japanese Black steers. Meat Sci. 54, 65-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00072-8
- Peter, J. B., Barnard, R. J., Edgerton, V. R., Gillespie, C. A., and Stempel, K. E. (1972) Metabolic profiles of three fiber types of skeletal muscle in guinea pigs and rabbits. Biochem. 11, 2627-2633. https://doi.org/10.1021/bi00764a013
- Pette, D. and Staron, R. S. (1990) Cellular and molecular diversities of mammalian skeletal muscle fibers. Rev. Physiol. Biochem. Pharmacol. 166, 1-76.
- Ryu, Y. C., Choi, Y. M., Lee, S. H., Shin, H. G., Choe, J. H., and Kim, B. C. (2008) Comparing the histochemical characteristics and meat quality traits of different pig breeds. Meat Sci. 80, 363-369. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.12.020
- Ryu, Y. C. and Kim, B. C. (2005) The relationship between muscle fiber characteristics, postmortem metabolic rate, and meat quality of pig longissimus dorsi muscle. Meat Sci. 71, 351-357. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.04.015
- SAS. (2002) SAS/STAT Software for PC. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Schiaffino, S. and Reggiani, C. (1996) Molecular diversity of myofibrillar proteins: gene regulation and functional significance. Physiol. Rev. 76, 371-396. https://doi.org/10.1152/physrev.19220.127.116.111
- Sirin, E., Aksoy, Y., Ugurlu, M., Cicek, U., Onenc, A., Ulutas, Z., Sen, U., and Kuran, M. (2017) The relationship between muscle fiber characteristics and some meat quality parameters in Turkish native sheep breeds. Small Ruminant Res. 150, 46-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2017.03.012
- Totland, G. K. and Kryvi, H. (1991) Distribution patterns of muscle fibre types in major muscles of the bull (Bos taurus). Anat. Embryol. 184, 441-450. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01236050
- Totland, G. K., Kryvi, H., and Slinde, E. (1988) Composition of muscle fiber types and connective tissue in bovine M. semitendinosus and its relation to tenderness. Meat Sci. 23, 303-315. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(88)90014-9
- Warriss, P. D. (1979) The extraction of haem pigments from fresh meat. J. Food Sci. Technol. 14, 75-80.
- Wegner, J., Albrecht, E., Fiedler, I., Teuscher, F., Papstein, H. J., and Ender, K. (2000) Growth- and breed-related changes of muscle fiber characteristics in cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 78, 1485-1496. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.7861485x