- Volume 20 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Objectification of the Qi Blood Yin Yang Deficiency Pattern by Using a Facial Color Analysis
- Park, Hye Bin (Department of Oriental Biomedical Engineering, College of Health Science, Sangji University) ;
- Yu, Junsang (Department of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, Oriental Medicine Hospital of Sangji University) ;
- Lee, Hyun Sook (Department of Oriental Biomedical Engineering, College of Health Science, Sangji University)
- Received : 2017.02.21
- Accepted : 2017.05.04
- Published : 2017.06.30
Objectives: This study aimed to assess a Qi Blood Yin Yang evaluation method systematically and objectively and to identify the correlation between the Qi Blood Yin Yang deficiency pattern (QBYYDP) and facial color. Methods: Thirty-seven participants (17 males, 20 females) were enrolled in this study. Twenty-four (10 males, 14 females) had ages from 40 to over 60, and 13 (7 males and 6 females) were in their twenties. After sufficient rest, facial images were taken with a camera. Based on the results from a questionnaire survey, we divided the participants into five groups: the normal and the Qi-, Blood-, Yin-, and Yang-deficient groups, after which the relationships between the L, 'a', and 'b' values in the Lab color system and the characteristics of the participants in each of the deficient groups were elucidated using a facial color analysis program. Results: The color analysis for Qi-deficient (QD) participants revealed that the L value was fairly decreased in comparison with the normal participants, but the 'a' and 'b' values were almost the same. A comparison between the normal and the Yang-deficient (YaD) groups revealed that the L values were somewhat lower compared to the normal group, but the 'a' and 'b' values were not statistically different. For the Yin-deficient (YiD) group, the L value was slightly lower compared to the normal group, but the 'a' and 'b' values were almost the same and the R values were slightly increased. For the Blood-deficient (BD) group, the L values were slightly increased compared to the normal group, but the 'a' and 'b' values were decreased slightly. Conclusion: This study obtained objective, reliable data for judging the QBYYDP by using facial images and a color analysis program. However, further study with at least 10 or more subjects in each of the deficient groups is necessary to confirm our findings.
Supported by : Sangji University
- Choi SH. [Introduction to Nangyung]. Seoul: Bupinmunhwasa; 2004. p. 287-9. Korean.
- Lee BG, Park YB, Kim TH. [Diagnostics of Oriental medicine]. Seoul: Sungbosa; 2012. p. 42-3. Korean.
- Lee KW. [Facial inspection]. Seoul: Jungdam; 1993. p. 24-6. Korean.
- Ju MB, Won CG. [Diagnostics of Chinese medicine]. Beijing: People's Medical Publishing House Co. LTD; 2011. p. 83-4. Chinese.
- Shin DW, Lee NI, Yeo IS. [Donguibogam read by onebook]. Paju: Dulnyouk Publishing House; 2006. p. 232-41. Korean.
- Clarys P, Alewaeters K, Lambrecht R, Bare AO. Skin color measurements: comparison between three instruments: the chromameter(R), the dermaSpectrometer(R) and the mexameter(R). Skin Research and Technology. 2000;6(4):230-8. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0846.2000.006004230.x
- Kim JH, Ku BC, Kim JE, Kim YS, Kim KH. [Study on reliability and validity of the 'Qi Blood Yin Yang Deficiency Questionnaire']. Korean J Orient Physiol Pathol. 2014;28(3):346-54. Korean.
- Woo HJ, Kim SH, Lee SB, Choi MY, Kim YC, Lee JH. [Development of questionnaires for differentiation of qi-xu, xue-xu, yang-xu, yun-xu analysis]. J Korean Orient Intern Med. 2008;29(4):856-70. Korean.
- Lee BG, Park YB, Kim TH. [Diagnostics of Oriental medicine (chapter 2)]. Seoul: Sungbosa; 1988. p. 36-49. Korean.
- Ahn GB, Yun CY. [A study of diagnosis by looking the face by the thermography]. Journal of The Institute of Oriental Medical Diagnostics. 2011;5(1):112-22. Korean.
- Lee SH, Kim BH, Cho DU. [Suggestion of a basis color and standardization for observing a person's face color of ocular inspection]. The KIPS Transactions:PartB. 2008;15(5):379-406. Korean.
- Lee SH, Cho Du, Kang ET. [A novel method of measuring the state of kidney by analysing the color and gloss of the patient's face]. J Korea Info Commun Soc. 2010;35(7):634-41. Korean.
- Lee SH, Cho DU. [Ocular inspection using color analysis in CIE lab for kidney disease in various situations]. J Korea Info Commun Soc. 2010;35(4):630-6. Korean.
- Lee SH, Cho DU. [The influence of hemodialysis to the face color of patients in end stage renal disease]. Korea Information Processing Society Review. 2010;17(6):437-44. Korean.
- Cai GX. [Measurement of pathological five colors of 508 cases]. China Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Pharmacy. 1996;11(1):20-1. Chinese.
- Cai GX. [Preliminary study of measurement of facial colors and gloss in different diseases with Qi-Blood-Yin-Yang deficiency]. Shanxi Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 1988;4(4):26-8. Chinese.
- Cai GX. [Preliminary study of measurement of facial colors among pulmonary tuberculosis patients with Qi-Blood-Yin-Yang deficiency]. Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine University of Hunan. 1987;7(3):45-7. Chinese.
- Lee BG, Park YB, Kim TH. [Diagnostics of Oriental medicine]. Seoul: Sungbosa; 2012. 28 p. Korean.