- Volume 20 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Hwa-Byung Treated by Using Ascending Kidney Water and Descending Heart Fire Pharmacopuncture: Three Case Studies
- Jo, NaYoung (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Je-Cheon Hospital of Traditional Korean Medicine, Semyung University) ;
- Roh, JeongDu (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Je-Cheon Hospital of Traditional Korean Medicine, Semyung University)
- Received : 2017.02.14
- Accepted : 2017.03.19
- Published : 2017.06.30
Objectives: We report the results of three case studies on the clinical efect of ascending kidney water and descending heart fre (AKDH) pharmacopuncture on patients with Hwa-Byung. Methods: Tis study involved three patients, all female, who had been admitted to a hospital of traditional Korean medicine and had been diagnosed as having Hwa-Byung by using the Hwa-Byung Structure Clinical Interview for DSM-IV. AKDH pharmacopuncture is administered by injecting pharmacopuncture at a specifc acupoint to change from a state of water-fre disharmony to one of water-fre harmony. For our three patients, Hwangyeonhaedoktang (黃連解毒湯) pharmacopuncture was injected at GB21 and GB20 on both sides; a total of 0.4 cc was injected, with 0.1 cc being injected at each point. Fel ursi, Bezora bovis and moschus (BUM) pharmacopuncture was injected at CV17, CV12, and CV6; a total of 0.15 cc was injected, with 0.05 cc being injected at each point. Treatment was done daily. Progress was evaluated using the Hwa-Byung diagnostic interview (HBDIS), beck depression inventory (BDI), and numeric rating scale (NRS) scores. Results: For the frst patient (case 1), after treatment, the HBDIS score was reduced from 44 to 30 points, the BDI score from 37 to 14, and the NRS score from 10 to 7. For the second patient (case 2), after treatment, the HBDIS score was reduced from 41 to 27 points, the BDI score from 13 to 7, and the NRS score from 10 to 5. For the third patient (case 3), after treatment, the HBDIS score was reduced from 42 to 28 points, the BDI score from 12 to 9, and the NRS score from 10 to 4. Conclusion: Ascending kidney water and descending heart fre pharmacopuncture treatment can be efective for improving ascending kidney water and descending heart fre energy and can be used to alleviate Hwa-Byung.
- The compilation committee of Korean Neuropsychiatry science text book. [Korean neuropsychiatry science]. Gyeonggi: Jypmundang; 2007. p. 215-26. Korean.
- Min SK, Nam GG, Lee HY. [An epidemiological study on hwabyung]. J of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 1990;29(4):867-74. Korean.
- Kim JW, Kwon JH, Lee MS, Park DG. [Development of hwa-byung diagnostic interview schedule (HBDIS) and its validity test]. Korean journal of health psychology. 2004;9(2):321-31. Korean.
- Hwang HY. [Korean neuropsychiatry]. Seoul: hyundai Medical Books; 1987. p. 157-9, 619-21. Korean.
- Kim HJ, Hong WS. [Korean medicine]. Seoul: Sungbosa; 1983. p. 103. Korean.
- Korean Pharmacopuncture Institute. Pharmacopuncturology. first edition. Seoul: Elsevier Korea; 2012. p. 128-41.
- Ryu HS, Ahn HJ, Lee SBi, Park SJ. [Case series of hwa-byung patients with facial spasm-by using oriental medical treatment with melonis calyx vomiting therapy]. J of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2012;23(4):183-98. Korean. https://doi.org/10.7231/jon.2012.23.4.183
- Hong SS, Lee JE, Kim HC, Cho SH. [The effects of forests healing for hwa-byung]. J of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2012;23(4):169-82. Korean. https://doi.org/10.7231/jon.2012.23.4.169
- Park SJ, Jung SY, Hwang WW, Kim JW. [Effectiveness of music-listening intervention on hwa-byung patients]. J of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2007;18(3):23-41. Korean.
- Park SH, Hwang JH, Yun YG, Kim GW, Koo BS, Kim BR. [A case study of hwa-byung has treated by autogen training]. J of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2010;21(3):139-49. Korean.
- Hwang JH. [A case report of hwa-byeong with MOK herbal acupuncture therapy]. J Immuno-Pharmacopuncture. 2013;2(1):43-55. Korean.
- Ahn DJ, Lee SE, Wan DJ, Lee JY, Kang HW, Kim JW. [A clinical report of hwa-byeong with Jahageo herbal acupuncture therapy]. J of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2005;16(1):211-20. Korean.
- Korean Pharmacopuncture Institute. [Pharmacopuncturology. second edition]. Seoul: Elsevier Korea; 2011. p. 86-92. Korean.
- Lim JH, Kim JW, Whang WW. [A comparative study on the changes of the clinic appearances and stress perception of hwabyung patients, according to the oriental medical therapy]. J of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2000;11(1):47-57. Korean.
- Lee HY, Kim JW, Park JH, Whang WW. [A study for diagnosis and pattern identification of hwa-byung]. J of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2005;16(1):1-17. Korean.
- Chi SE, Kim JW, Whang WW, Cho HS. [The study on the clinical aspects of hwabyung patients]. J of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 1997;8(2):63-84. Korean.
- Beck AT, Ward CH, Mendelson M. Beck depression inventory (BDI). Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1961;4(6):561-71. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1961.01710120031004