- Volume 46 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Isolation and Characterization of Acetic Acid Bacteria for Producing "Makgeolli Seed-Vinegar"
막걸리 종초 제조에 적합한 초산균의 분리 및 발효특성
- Lee, Hye-Bin (Department of Food Science and Technology, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Oh, Hyeonhwa (Department of Food Science and Technology, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Jeong, Do-Youn (Microbial Institute for Fermentation Industry (MIFI)) ;
- Jun, Hyun-Il (Department of Food Science and Technology, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Song, Geun-Seoup (Department of Food Science and Technology, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Kim, Young-Soo (Department of Food Science and Technology, Chonbuk National University)
- 이혜빈 (전북대학교 식품공학과) ;
- 오현화 (전북대학교 식품공학과) ;
- 정도연 ((재)발효미생물산업진흥원) ;
- 전현일 (전북대학교 식품공학과) ;
- 송근섭 (전북대학교 식품공학과) ;
- 김영수 (전북대학교 식품공학과)
- Received : 2017.07.19
- Accepted : 2017.08.31
- Published : 2017.10.31
Acetic acid bacteria strains were isolated from commercial natural vinegar. Ten isolated strains were identified using 16S rRNA gene sequencing data after evaluating the ethanol- and sulfur-tolerance. Eight of the strains isolated were identified as Acetobacter pasteurianus. A. pasteurianus JAC002, JAC005, and JAC008 strains, which showed a high ethanol tolerance, were selected for making "Makgeolli seed-vinegar". Rice wine vinegars were manufactured with the selected strains through fermentation, and their physicochemical properties and antimicrobial activities were evaluated. A. pasteurianus JAC002 strain showed the highest oxidation ability to acetic acid from ethanol on the twentieth day of fermentation, resulting in 4.21% total acidity, 3,791.77 mg% acetic acid content, and 2,931.78 mg% ethanol consumption content. Rice wine vinegar manufactured with the A. pasteurianus JAC002 strain showed increased antimicrobial activities against Staphylococcus aureus (KACC1927) and Escherichia coli (KACC10115). As a result, A. pasteurianus JAC002 strain was found to be the most suitable strain for "Makgeolli seed-vinegar".
Grant : 한국형 유용균주
Supported by : 산업통상자원부
- Lee JW, Chung YK, Park JW. 2013. Pasteurization characteristics of Makgeolli (Korea rice wine) with various initial concentrations of yeasts. J Korean Food Nutr 26: 633-637. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2013.26.4.633
- Shin EJ, Kim SH, Kim JH, Ha J, Hwang JT. 2015. Dealcoholized Korean rice wine (makgeolli) exerts potent anti-tumor effect in AGS human gastric adenocarcinoma cells and tumor xenograft mice. J Microbiol Biotechnol 25: 1485-1492. https://doi.org/10.4014/jmb.1503.03059
- Shin MO, Kim MH, Bae SJ. 2010. The effect of Makgeolli on blood flow, serum lipid improvement and inhibition of ACE in vitro. J Life Sci 20: 710-716. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2010.20.5.710
- Cheong SR, Kim R, Park YK, Baek SY, Yeo SH, Lee CH. 2015. Anti-obesity effect of fermented detoxified Rhus verniciflua vinegar supplementation in diet-induced obese rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 44: 1771-1778. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.12.1771
- Park YH, Choi JH, Whang K, Lee SO, Yang SA, Yu MH. 2014. Inhibitory effects of lyophilized dropwort vinegar powder on adipocyte differentiation and inflammation. J Life Sci 24: 476-484. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2014.24.5.476
- Yim EJ, Jo SW, Lee ES, Park HS, Ryu MS, Uhm TB, Kim HY, Cho SH. 2015. Fermentation characteristics of mulberry (Cudrania tricuspidata) fruit vinegar produced by acetic acid bacteria isolated from traditional fermented foods. Korean J Food Preserv 22: 108-118. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2015.22.1.108
- Park KS, Chang DS, Cho HR, Park UY. 1994. Investigation of the cultural characteristics of high concentration ethanol resistant Acetobacter sp.. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 23: 666-670.
- Hong SM, Kang MJ, Lee JH, Jeong JH, Kwon SH, Seo KI. 2012. Production of vinegar using Rubus coreanus and its antioxidant activities. Korean J Food Preserv 19: 594-603. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2012.19.4.594
- Jo D, Lee HJ, Jeong YJ, Yeo SH, Kwon JH. 2014. Quality properties of pear vinegars with high-acidity under different fermentation conditions. Korean J Food Sci Technol 46: 418-424. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2014.46.4.418
- Kim DK, Baik MY, Kim HK, Hahm YT, Kim BY. 2012. Manufacture of the red ginseng vinegar fermented with red ginseng concentrate and rice wine, and its quality evaluation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 44: 179-184. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2012.44.2.179
- Wang B, Shao Y, Chen F. 2015. Overview on mechanisms of acetic acid resistance in acetic acid bacteria. World J Microbiol Biotechnol 31: 255-263. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11274-015-1799-0
- Alauzet C, Teyssier C, Jumas-Bilak E, Gouby A, Chiron R, Rabaud C, Counil F, Lozniewski A, Marchandin H. 2010. Gluconobacter as well as Asaia species, newly emerging opportunistic human pathogens among acetic acid bacteria. J Clin Microbiol 48: 3935-3942. https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.00767-10
- Greenberg DE, Porcella SF, Stock F, Wong A, Conville PS, Murray PR, Holland SM, Zelazny AM. 2006. Granulibacter bethesdensis gen. nov., sp. nov., a distinctive pathogenic acetic acid bacterium in the family Acetobacteraceae. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 56: 2609-2616. https://doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.64412-0
- Baek C, Baek S, Lee SH, Kang JE, Choi HS, Kim JH, Yeo SH. 2015. Characterization of Acetobacter sp. strain CV1 isolated from a fermented vinegar. Microbiol Biotechnol Lett 43: 126-133. https://doi.org/10.4014/mbl.1505.05003
- Zhang Z, Schwartz S, Wagner L, Miller W. 2000. A greedy algorithm for aligning DNA sequences. J Comput Biol 7: 203-214. https://doi.org/10.1089/10665270050081478
- Thompson JD, Higgins DG, Gibson TJ. 1994. CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res 22: 4673-4680. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/22.22.4673
- Tamura K, Nei M. 1993. Estimation of the number of nucleotide substitutions in the control region of mitochondrial DNA in humans and chimpanzees. Mol Biol Evol 10: 512-526.
- Tamura K, Peterson D, Peterson N, Stecher G, Nei M, Kumar S. 2011. MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods. Mol Biol Evol 28: 2731-2739. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msr121
- Oh HJ, Jeon SB, Kang HY, Yang YJ, Kim SC, Lim SB. 2011. Chemical composition and antioxidative activity of kiwifruit in different cultivars and maturity. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 343-349. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.3.343
- Kim YS, Song GS. 2002. Characteristics of kiwifruit-added traditional kochujang. Korean J Food Sci Technol 34: 1091-1097.
- Baek SY, Kim JS, Mun JY, Lee CH, Park YK, Yeo SH. 2016. Quality characteristics of detoxified Rhus verniciflua vinegar fermented using different acetic acid bacteria. Korean J Food Preserv 23: 347-354. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2016.23.3.347
- Yang HJ, Jeong SJ, Jeong SY, Heo JH, Jeong DY. 2015. Screening of biogenic amine non-producing yeast and optimization of culture conditions using statistical method for manufacturing black raspberry wine. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 44: 592-601. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.4.592
- Park CW, Jang SY, Park EJ, Yeo SH, Kim OM, Jeong YJ. 2011. Comparison of the quality characteristics of commercial Makgeolli type in South Korea. Korean J Food Preserv 18: 884-890. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2011.18.6.884
- Lee GE, Kim SM, Huh CK, Cho IK, Kim YD. 2015. Comparison of quality properties and identification of acetic acid bacteria for black waxy rice vinegar. Korean J Food Preserv 22: 443-451. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2015.22.3.443
- Budak NH, Aykin E, Seydim AC, Greene AK, Guzel-Seydim ZB. 2014. Functional properties of vinegar. J Food Sci 79: R757-R764. https://doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.12434
- Woo SM, Jang SY, Kim OM, Youn KS, Jeong YJ. 2004. Antimicrobial effects of vinegar on the harmful food-born organisms. Korean J Food Preserv 11: 117-121.
- Bearson S, Bearson B, Foster JW. 1997. Acid stress responses in enterobacteria. FEMS Microbiol Lett 147: 173-180. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6968.1997.tb10238.x