- Volume 27 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on Applicability of Equivalent Continuum Flow Model in DFN Media
DFN 매질에 대한 등가연속체 유동모델의 적용 가능성 평가에 관한 연구
- Received : 2017.10.09
- Accepted : 2017.10.25
- Published : 2017.10.31
The correlation analysis between the results obtained from DFN flow model and equivalent continuum flow model were conducted on total of 72 DFN blocks having various fracture geometry and domain size. A strong linear relation seems to exist between the two approaches under condition that normalized relative error for continuum behavior (ER) is less than 0.2, and the results from both methods are found to almost identical. To explore the field applicability of equivalent continuum flow model in DFN media, a total of 48 numerical schemes related to inflow of underground circular openings were implemented under various DFN configurations. The equivalent continuum flow model in DFN media with a constant hydraulic aperture was evaluated as valid. However, as the anisotropy increases due to variation of the hydraulic aperture, the results are likely to be overestimated compare to the DFN flow model.
Discrete fracture network;Equivalent continuum flow model;DFN flow model;Numerical experiments
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Han J., 2016, Analysis of hydraulic characteristics of fractured rock masses through 2-D DFN fluid flow modeling, Master thesis, Pukyong National University, 104p.
- Han, J. and J. Um, 2015, Characteristics of block hydraulic conductivity of 2-D DFN system according to block size and fracture geometry, Tunnel & Underground Space (J. of Korean Society for Rock Mech.), 25, 450-461.
- Han, J. and J. Um, 2016, Effect of joint aperture variation on hydraulic behavior of the 2-D DFN system, Tunnel & Underground Space (J. of Korean Society for Rock Mech.), 26, 283-292.
- Long, J.C.S., J.S. Remer, C.R. Wilson and P.A. Witherspoon, 1982, Porous Media Equivalents for networks of Discontinuous fractures, Water Resour. Res. 18.3, 645-658. https://doi.org/10.1029/WR018i003p00645
- Oda, M., 1985, Permeability tensor for discontinuous rock mass, Geotechnique, 35, 483-495 https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.1922.214.171.1243
- Rocha, M. and F. Franciss, 1977, Determination of permeability in anisotrophic rock masses from integral samples, Structural and Geotechnical Mechanics, edited by W. J. Hall, Prentice-Hall, New York, 178-202.
- Snow, D. T., 1965, A parallel plate model of fractured permeable media, Ph.D. dissertation, University of California, Berkeley, 331p.