- Volume 27 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on Correlation between Heterogeneity Index and Mechanical Properties of Igneous Rocks using 3D X-ray Computed Tomography Image
3차원 X-ray CT 영상을 이용한 화성암 불균질 지수와 역학적 특성과의 상관관계에 대한 연구
- Jeong, Yeon Jong ;
- Kim, Kwang Yeom ;
- Yun, Tae Sup (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2017.10.22
- Accepted : 2017.10.26
- Published : 2017.10.31
In this study, the heterogeneity of internal structure of various igneous rocks acquired in Korea was quantified and correlated with the seismic velocity and the point load strength. Three-dimensional X-ray Computed Tomography (CT) was used to obtain information on the internal structure of the rock specimen, and the representative unit length (LR) was calculated by applying a statistical technique to the CT images. We also proposed an estimation equation to predict the mechanical properties of rocks from the relationship between LR, acoustic velocity and point load strength. In the proposed method, it is shown that the characterization of internal structure of rocks could be utilized as an indirect index to account for the mechanical behavior of rocks by substituting physical laboratory testing for non-destructive test.
3D X-ray CT;Igneous rock;Point load strength;Elastic wave velocity;Internal structure of rocks
Supported by : 한국연구재단, 에너지기술평가원
- ASTM, 1986, Standard test method of unconfined compressive strength of intact rock core specimens, D2938.
- ASTM, 2000, Standard test method for laboratory determination of pulse velocities and ultrasonic elastic constants of rock, D2845-00.
- Azimian, A., Ajalloeian, R., and Fatehi, L., 2014, An empirical correlation of uniaxial compressive strength with P-wave velocity and point load strength index on Marly rocks using statistical method, Geotech Geol Gng. 32, 205-214. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10706-013-9703-x
- Basu, A. and Aydin, A., 2006, Predicting uniaxial compressive strength by point load test: significance of cone penetration, Rock Mech. Rock Eng. 39.5, 483-490. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-006-0082-y
- Blair, S.C., Berge, P.A., and Berryman, J.G., 1996, Using two-point correlation functions to characterize microgeometry and estimate permeabilities of sandstones and porous glass, Journal of Geophysical Research, 101.9, 20359-20375. https://doi.org/10.1029/96JB00879
- Brattli, B., 1992, The influence of geological factors on the mechanical properties of basic igneous rocks used as road surface aggregates, Engineering Geology, 33, 31-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-7952(92)90033-U
- Bruno G, Vessia G, and Bobbo L, 2013, Statistical method for assessing the uniaxial compressive strength of carbonate rock by Schmidt hammer tests performed on core samples. Rock Mech Rock Eng. 46, 199-206. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-012-0230-5
- Cnudde, V. and Boone, M.N., 2013, High-resolution X-ray Computed Tomography in geosciences: A review of the current technology and applications, Earth-Science Reviews. 123, 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.earscirev.2013.04.003
- Ceryan, N., Okkan, U., Kesimal, A., 2013, Prediction of unconfinjed compressive strength of carbonate rocks using artificial neural networks, Environmental Earth Sciences, 68, 807-819. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-012-1783-z
- Gokceoglu, C, Zorlu, K, 2004, A fuzzy model to predict the unconfined compressive strength and modulus of elasticity of a problematic rock, Eng Appl Artif Intell, 17, 61-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engappai.2003.11.006
- Hassani, F.P., Scoble, M.J., Whittaker, B.N., 1980, Application of point load index test to strength determination of rock and proposals for new size-correction chart, In: Summers DA (ed) Proceedings of the 21st US symposium on rock mechanics, University of Missouri Press, Rolla, 543-564.
- Jeong, Y.J., Yun, T.S., Kim, K.Y., Choo, J., 2011, Image Calibration Techniques for Removing Cupping and Ring Artifacts in X-ray Micro-CT Images, Journal of the Korean geotechnical society, 27(11), 93-101.
- Kahraman, S., 2001, Evaluation of simple methods for assessing the uniaxial compressive strength of rock. Int J Rock Mech Min Sci, 38, 981-994. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1365-1609(01)00039-9
- Karakul, H and Ulusay, R., 2013, Empirical correlations for predicting strength properties of rocks from P-wave velocity under different degrees of saturation. Rock Mech Rock Eng, 46, 981-999. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-012-0353-8
- Semnani, S.J., Borja, R.I., 2017, Quantifying the heterogeneity of shale through statistical combination of imaging across scales, Acta Geotechnica, DOI 10.1007/s11440-017-0576-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11440-017-0576-7
- Schon, J, 2011, Physical Properties of rocks, vol 8. Handbook of petroleum exploration and production. Elsevier, Oxfordm UK.
- Singh, T.N., Kainthola, A, Venkatesh, A, 2012, A Correlation between point load index and uniaxial compressive strength for different rock types, Rock Mech Rock Eng, 45, 259-264. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-011-0192-z
- Torquato, S,, Beasley, J.D., Chlew, Y.C., 1988, Two-point cluster function for continuum percolation, J. Chem. Phys., 88(10), 6540-6547. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.454440
- Yun, T.S., Jeong, Y.J., Kim, K.., and Min, K-B, 2013, Evaluation of rock anisotropy using 3D X-ray computed tomography, Engineering Geolgoy, 163, 11-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2013.05.017