- Volume 20 Issue 5
An Examination of the Mediation Effect of Self-Regulated Learning Strategy on Learning Outcome in Engineering Capstone Design Course
공과대학 캡스톤 디자인의 학습성과에 대한 자기조절학습전략의 매개효과 검증
- Kim, Na-Young (Innovation Center for Engineering Education, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Lee, So Young (Language Education Institute, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2017.09.12
- Accepted : 2017.09.28
- Published : 2017.09.30
This study aimed to identify the causal relationships among self-regulated learning strategy, problem solving efficacy, task value and learning outcome, and mediation effect of self-regulated learning strategy in engineering capstone design course. The data were collected from 363 university students who enrolled in capstone design courses and analyzed using structural equation modeling method. The results were: first, problem-solving efficacy and task value exerted significant effects on self-regulated learning strategy. Second, self-regulated learning strategy exerted significant effects on learning outcome, but problem-solving efficacy and task value did not. Third, problem-solving efficacy and task value showed significant indirect effects on learning outcome, which confirmed that self-regulated learning strategy fully mediated between two exogenous variables and learning outcome.
Capstone Design;Problem Solving Efficacy;Task Value;Self-Regulated Learning Strategy
- 김인숙, 김동철(2013). 종합설계교과목의 교수-학습 결과 분석. 공학교육연구, 16(2), 31-36.
- 김주환, 김민규, 홍세희 (2009). 구조방정식모형으로 논문 쓰기. 서울: 커뮤니케이션.
- 김희동, 지인영(2009). 공학교육인증제도의 학습성과와 교양교육. 교양교육연구, 3(1), 89-103.
- 류관열, 엄우용, 최성열(2010). 중고등학생의 학업적 자기효능감, 타인기대와 학업성취도 관계에서 자기조절학습전략의 효과. 교육심리연구, 24(3), 661-685.
- 이태식, 전영준, 이동욱, 장병철(2009). 공학대학 캡스톤 디자인(창의적 공학 설계) 교육과정 운영실태 및 학습 만족도 조사. 한국공학교육학회, 12(2), 36-50.
- 이희원, 김성환, 박근, 김정엽(2010). 캡스톤 디자인 교과목기반의 프로그램 학습성과 평가 연구. 한국공학교육학회, 13(6), 143-151.
- 임규연(2011). 집단탐구 협동학습에서 학업적 자기효능감, 협력적 자기효능감, 학업성과의 관계. 교육의 이론과 실천, 16(2), 19-36.
- 정영수, 하지원, 김영민 (2011). 건축학부 종합설계 사례: 정보기술 및 건설관리 기법 적용을 중심으로. 건축, 55(6), 45-49.
- 조선미(2011). 과학영역에서의 자기효능감과 학업성취의 관계에서 인지적 자기조절학습전략의 매개효과. 한국과학교육학회지, 31(6), 958-969.
- 조용철(2013.1.4.). "2013년 대학생 최대 관심사 2위는 '취업', 1위는" 파이낸셜뉴스. http://www.fnnews.com/news/201301040915 87032에서 2015년 2월 19일 검색.
- 주영주, 서혁, 이소영(2012). 중학교 국어 교과에서 성별에 따른 외재적 학습동기, 독서태도, 학습전략, 지각된 교수전략이성취도에 미치는 영향력 차이 분석. 국어교육학연구, 45, 549-584.
- Artino, A. R. (2007). Online military training: Using a social cognitive view of motivation and self-regulation to understand students' satisfaction, perceived learning, and choice. The Quarterly Review of Distance Education, 8 (3), 191-201.
- Bandura, A. (1986). Social foundations of the thoughts and action: A social cognitive theory. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Bandura, A. (1997). Self-efficacy: The exercise of control. New York: Freeman
- Boekaerts, M. (1997). Self-regulated learning: a new concept embraced by reserchers, policy makers, educators, teachers, and students. Learning and Instruction, 7 (2), 161-186. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-4752(96)00015-1
- Bong, M. (2001). Role of self-efficacy and task-value in predicting college students' course performance and future enrollment intentions.
- Browne, M. W., & Cudeck, R. (1993). Alternative ways of assessing model fit. In K. A. Bollen & J. S. Long (Eds.), Testing structural equation models (pp. 136-162). Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
- Chowdhury, S., Endres, M., & Lanis, T. W. (2002). Preparing students for success in team work environments: the importance of building confidence. Journal of Management Issues, 14 (3), 346-359.
- Cole, J. S., Bergin, D. A., & Whittaker, T. A. (2008). Predicting student achievement for low stakes testing with effort and task value. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 33, 609-624. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cedpsych.2007.10.002
- Collis, B. (1997). Supporting project-based collaborative learning via WWW environment. In B. Khan (Ed.), Web-based instruction (pp.213-219). Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Educational Technology Publications.
- Eccles, J. S., & Wigfield, A. (1995). In the mind of the actor: The structure of adolescents’ achievement task value and expectancy related beliefs. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 21(3), 215-225. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167295213003
- English, M. C., & Kitsantas, A. (2013). Supporting student self-regulated learning in problem and project-based learning. Interdisciplinary Journal of Problem-based Learning, 7 (2), 128-150.
- Garrison, D.R., Cleveland-Innes, M., & Fung, T. S. (2010). Exploriong causal relationships among teahing, cognitive and social presence: student perceptions of the community of inquiry framework. Internet and Higher Education, 13, 31-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iheduc.2009.10.002
- Greeno, J. G. (1991). Number sense as situated knowing in a conceptual domain. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 22, 170-218. https://doi.org/10.2307/749074
- Hair, J. F., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., & Anderson, R. E. (2009). Multivariate data analysis(7th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Heppner, P. P., & Peterson, C. H. (1982). The development and implications of a personal problem-solving inventory. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 29(1). 66-75. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-022.214.171.124
- Joo, Y. J., Bong, M., & Choi, H. J. (2000). Self-efficacy for self-regulated learning, academic self-efficacy, and Internet self-efficacy in Web-based instruction. Educational Technology Research and Development, 48, 5-17.
- Kline, R. B. (2010). Principles and practice of structural equation modeling (3rd ed.). New York: The Guilford Press.
- Lepper, M. R., Corpus, J. H., & Iyengar, S. S. (2005). Intrinsic and extrinsic motivational orientations in the classroom: Age differences and academic correlates. Journal of Educational Psychology, 97(2), 184-196. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06126.96.36.199
- Lynch, K., Goold, A., & Blain, J. (2004). Students’ pedagogical preferences in the delivery of IT capstone courses. Issues in Informing Science and Information Technology, 1, 431-442. https://doi.org/10.28945/750
- Mayer (1998). Cognitive, metacognitive, and motivational aspects of problem solving. Instructional Science, 26, 49-63. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1003088013286
- O’Neill, T. A., Goffin, R. D., & Gellatly, I. R. (2012). The knowledge, skill, and ability requirements for teamwork: revisiting the teamwork-KSA test’s validity. International Journal of Selection and Assessment, 20(1), 36-52. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2389.2012.00578.x
- Pajares, F. (1999). Current Directions in Self- Efficacy Research. In M. Maehr, & P.R. Pintrich (Eds.), Advances in motivation and achievement. (pp. 1-49). Greenwich, CT: JAI Press.
- Perkins, D. N., Hancock, C., Hobbs, R., Martin, F., & Simmons, R. (1986). Conditions of learning in novice programmers. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 2(1), 37-56. https://doi.org/10.2190/GUJT-JCBJ-Q6QU-Q9PL
- Peschar, J. L., Veenstra, R., & Molenaar I. W. (1999). Self-regulated learning as a cross-curricular competency. The construction of instruments in 22 countries for the PISA main study 2000. Paris: Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.
- Pintrich P. R., & De Groot, E. (1990). Motivational and self-regulated learning components of classroom academic performance. Journal of Educational Psychology, 82, 33-40. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06188.8.131.52
- Schunk, D. H. (2008). Metacognition, self-regulation, and self-regulated learning: Research Recommendations. Educational Psychology Review, 20 : 463-467.
- Stefanou, C. Stolk, J. D., Prince, M., Chen, J. C., & Lord, S. M. (2013). Self-regulation and autonomy in problem and project-based learning environments. Active Learning in Higher Education, 14(2), 109-122. https://doi.org/10.1177/1469787413481132
- Stolk, J., & Harari, J.(2014). Student motivations as predictors of high-level cognitions in project-based classrooms. Active Learning in Higher Education, 15(3), 231-247. https://doi.org/10.1177/1469787414554873
- Trautwein, U., Marsh, H. W., Nagengast, B., Ludtke, O., Nagy, G., & Jonkmann, K. (2012). Probing for the multiplicative term in modern expectancy-value theory: A latent interaction modeling study. Journal of Educational Psychology, 104(3), 763-777. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0027470
- VanZile-Tamsen, C. (2001). The predictive power of expectancy of success and task value for college students' self-regulated strategy use. Journal of College Student Development, 42(3), 233-241.
- Wigfield, A., & Cambria, J. (2010). Students’ achievement values, goal orientations, and interest: Definitions, development, and relations to achievement outcomes. Developmental Review, 30(1), 1-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dr.2009.12.001
- Zimmerman, B. J. (1986). Development of self-regulated learning: Which are the key subprocesses? Contemporary Educational Psychology, 16, 307-313.
- Zimmerman, B. J. (1989). A social cognitive view of self-regulated academic learning. Journal of Educational Psychology, 81, 329-339. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06184.108.40.2069
- Zimmerman, B. J., & Martinez-Pons, M. (1990). Student differences in self-regulated learning: relating grade, sex, and giftedness to self-efficacy and strategy use. Journal of Educational Psychology, 82, 51-59. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06220.127.116.11