- Volume 30 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Adiponectin induced AMP-activated protein kinase impairment mediates insulin resistance in Bama mini-pig fed high-fat and high-sucrose diet
- Niu, Miaomiao (Laboratory Animal Center, Chinese PLA General Hospital) ;
- Xiang, Lei (Laboratory Animal Center, Chinese PLA General Hospital) ;
- Liu, Yaqian (Laboratory Animal Center, Chinese PLA General Hospital) ;
- Zhao, Yuqiong (Laboratory Animal Center, Chinese PLA General Hospital) ;
- Yuan, Jifang (Laboratory Animal Center, Chinese PLA General Hospital) ;
- Dai, Xin (Laboratory Animal Center, Chinese PLA General Hospital) ;
- Chen, Hua (Laboratory Animal Center, Chinese PLA General Hospital)
- Received : 2017.01.03
- Accepted : 2017.03.19
- Published : 2017.08.01
Objective: Adipose tissue is no longer considered as an inert storage organ for lipid, but instead is thought to play an active role in regulating insulin effects via secretion adipokines. However, conflicting reports have emerged regarding the effects of adipokines. In this study, we investigated the role of adipokines in glucose metabolism and insulin sensitivity in obese Bama mini-pigs. Methods: An obesity model was established in Bama mini-pigs, by feeding with high-fat and high-sucrose diet for 30 weeks. Plasma glucose and blood biochemistry levels were measured, and intravenous glucose tolerance test was performed. Adipokines, including adiponectin, interleukin-6 (IL-6), resistin and tumor necrosis factor alpha (
Bama Mini-pig;Insulin Resistance;Adiponectin;AMP-activated Protein Kinase
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China, Science and Technology Innovation Nursery Foundation of Chinese PLA General Hospital
- Cois A, Day C. Obesity trends and risk factors in the South African adult population. BMC Obes 2015;2:42. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40608-015-0072-2
- Ng M, Fleming T, Robinson M, et al. Global, regional, and national prevalence of overweight and obesity in children and adults during 1980-2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. Lancet 2014;384:766-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)60460-8
- Papaetis GS, Papakyriakou P, Panagiotou TN. Central obesity, type 2 diabetes and insulin: exploring a pathway full of thorns. Arch Med Sci 2015;11:463-82.
- Kim SJ, Chae S, Kim H, et al. A protein profile of visceral adipose tissues linked to early pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Mol Cell Proteomics 2014;13:811-22. https://doi.org/10.1074/mcp.M113.035501
- Lehr S, Hartwig S, Sell H. Adipokines: a treasure trove for the discovery of biomarkers for metabolic disorders. Proteomics Clin Appl 2012;6:91-101. https://doi.org/10.1002/prca.201100052
- Kim JY, van de Wall E, Laplante M, et al. Obesity-associated improvements in metabolic profile through expansion of adipose tissue. J Clin Invest 2007;117:2621-37. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI31021
- Coelho M, Oliveira T, Fernandes R. Biochemistry of adipose tissue:an endocrine organ. Arch Med Sci 2013;9:191-200.
- Booth A, Magnuson A, Fouts J, Foster MT. Adipose tissue: an endocrine organ playing a role in metabolic regulation. Horm Mol Biol Clin Investig 2016.
- Xita N, Tsatsoulis A. Adiponectin in diabetes mellitus. Curr Med Chem 2012;19:5451-8. https://doi.org/10.2174/092986712803833182
- Ruan H, Dong LQ. Adiponectin signaling and function in insulin target tissues. J Mol Cell Biol 2016.
- Maury E, Brichard SM. Adipokine dysregulation, adipose tissue inflammation and metabolic syndrome. Mol Cell Endocrinol 2010;314:1-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mce.2009.07.031
- Coles CA. Adipokines in Healthy Skeletal Muscle and Metabolic Disease. Adv Exp Med Biol 2016;900:133-60.
- Hojlund K. Metabolism and insulin signaling in common metabolic disorders and inherited insulin resistance. Dan Med J 2014;61:B4890.
- Coughlan KA, Valentine RJ, Ruderman NB, Saha AK. AMPK activation:a therapeutic target for type 2 diabetes? Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes 2014;7:241-53.
- Ruderman NB, Carling D, Prentki M, Cacicedo JM. AMPK, insulin resistance, and the metabolic syndrome. J Clin Invest 2013;123:2764-72. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI67227
- Yamauchi T, Kamon J, Minokoshi Y, et al. Adiponectin stimulates glucose utilization and fatty-acid oxidation by activating AMP-activated protein kinase. Nat Med 2002;8:1288-95. https://doi.org/10.1038/nm788
- Steinberg GR, Michell BJ, van Denderen BJ, et al. Tumor necrosis factor alpha-induced skeletal muscle insulin resistance involves suppression of AMP-kinase signaling. Cell Metab 2006;4:465-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmet.2006.11.005
- Koopmans SJ, Schuurman T. Considerations on pig models for appetite, metabolic syndrome and obese type 2 diabetes: From food intake to metabolic disease. Eur J Pharmacol 2015;759:231-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2015.03.044
- Chen H, Liu YQ, Li CH, Guo XM, Huang LJ. The susceptibility of three strains of Chinese minipigs to diet-induced type 2 diabetes mellitus. Lab Anim (NY) 2009;38:355-63. https://doi.org/10.1038/laban1109-355
- Antuna-Puente B, Feve B, Fellahi S, Bastard JP. Adipokines: the missing link between insulin resistance and obesity. Diabetes Metab 2008;34:2-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabet.2007.09.004
- Bluher M. Adipose tissue inflammation: a cause or consequence of obesity-related insulin resistance? Clin Sci (Lond) 2016;130:1603-14. https://doi.org/10.1042/CS20160005
- Barbosa-Cortes L, Lopez-Alarcon M, Mejia-Arangure JM, et al. Adipokines, insulin resistance, and adiposity as a predictors of metabolic syndrome in child survivors of lymphoma and acute lymphoblastic leukemia of a developing country. BMC Cancer 2017;17:125. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-017-3097-8
- Henquin JC, Dufrane D, Kerr-Conte J, Nenquin M. Dynamics of glucose-induced insulin secretion in normal human islets. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2015;309:E640-50. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpendo.00251.2015
- Rorsman P, Renstrom E. Insulin granule dynamics in pancreatic beta cells. Diabetologia 2003;46:1029-45. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-003-1153-1
- Dufrane D, Nenquin M, Henquin JC. Nutrient control of insulin secretion in perifused adult pig islets. Diabetes Metab 2007;33:430-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabet.2007.05.001
- Esfahani M, Movahedian A, Baranchi M, Goodarzi MT. Adiponectin:an adipokine with protective features against metabolic syndrome. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2015;18:430-42.
- Okada-Iwabu M, Iwabu M, Ueki K, Yamauchi T, Kadowaki T. Perspective of Small-Molecule AdipoR Agonist for Type 2 Diabetes and Short Life in Obesity. Diabetes Metab J 2015;39:363-72. https://doi.org/10.4093/dmj.2015.39.5.363
- Sarvas JL, Khaper N, Lees SJ. The IL-6 Paradox: Context Dependent Interplay of SOCS3 and AMPK. J Diabetes Metab 2013;Suppl 13.
- Perry RJ, Camporez JP, Kursawe R, et al. Hepatic acetyl CoA links adipose tissue inflammation to hepatic insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. Cell 2015;160:745-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2015.01.012
- Fernandez-Real JM, Vayreda M, Richart C, et al. Circulating interleukin 6 levels, blood pressure, and insulin sensitivity in apparently healthy men and women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2001;86:1154-9. https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem.86.3.7305
- Carey AL, Steinberg GR, Macaulay SL, et al. Interleukin-6 increases insulin-stimulated glucose disposal in humans and glucose uptake and fatty acid oxidation in vitro via AMP-activated protein kinase. Diabetes 2006;55:2688-97. https://doi.org/10.2337/db05-1404
- Barnes KM, Miner JL. Role of resistin in insulin sensitivity in rodents and humans. Curr Protein Pept Sci 2009;10:96-107. https://doi.org/10.2174/138920309787315239
- Huang X, Yang Z. Resistin's, obesity and insulin resistance: the continuing disconnect between rodents and humans. J Endocrinol Invest 2016;39:607-15. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40618-015-0408-2
- Ghosh S, Singh AK, Aruna B, Mukhopadhyay S, Ehtesham NZ. The genomic organization of mouse resistin reveals major differences from the human resistin: functional implications. Gene 2003;305:27-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-1119(02)01213-1
- Nogueiras R, Gallego R, Gualillo O, et al. Resistin is expressed in different rat tissues and is regulated in a tissue- and gender-specific manner. FEBS Lett 2003;548:21-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-5793(03)00708-7
- Kusminski CM, McTernan PG, Kumar S. Role of resistin in obesity, insulin resistance and Type II diabetes. Clin Sci (Lond) 2005;109:243-56. https://doi.org/10.1042/CS20050078
- Lee JH, Bullen JW, Jr., Stoyneva VL, Mantzoros CS. Circulating resistin in lean, obese, and insulin-resistant mouse models: lack of association with insulinemia and glycemia. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2005;288:E625-32. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpendo.00184.2004
- Yannakoulia M, Yiannakouris N, Bluher S, Matalas AL, Klimis-Zacas D, Mantzoros CS. Body fat mass and macronutrient intake in relation to circulating soluble leptin receptor, free leptin index, adiponectin, and resistin concentrations in healthy humans. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003;88:1730-6. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2002-021604
- Mohamed-Ali V, Goodrick S, Bulmer K, Holly JM, Yudkin JS, Coppack SW. Production of soluble tumor necrosis factor receptors by human subcutaneous adipose tissue in vivo. Am J Physiol 1999;277:E971-5.
- Wascher TC, Lindeman JH, Sourij H, Kooistra T, Pacini G, Roden M. Chronic TNF-alpha neutralization does not improve insulin resistance or endothelial function in "healthy" men with metabolic syndrome. Mol Med 2011;17:189-93.