- Volume 20 Issue 4
The Development of Composition Model for Engineering Education Program of Elementary and Secondary School
초·중등 공학교육 프로그램 구성 모형 개발
- Kim, Young-min (Global Institute for Talented Education, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Ki-soo (Department of Technology Education, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2017.06.12
- Accepted : 2017.07.31
- Published : 2017.07.31
The purpose of this study is to provide basic data and guideline to STEM(Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) educators who prepare engineering education in elementary and secondary school. For this, this study develops a composition model for engineering education program of elementary and secondary school. To do this, a literature research, experts interview and Delphi survey were conducted. Through the literature research, we extracted the components of model for engineering education program of elementary and secondary school and then made a first draft of the model. The draft was revised by experts while Delphi survey was used to validate the model based on Delphi panels' opinions. The panels for the Delphi survey consisted of 51 experts in the STEM education field. The survey was conducted three different times and importance survey was included in the third stage. The conclusions of this study were as follows: First, the model consist of definition, 4 directions, 4 characteristics, 3 educational goals according to school level, educational contents area and element, teaching and learning method and evaluation method. The educational contents area and element consist of 2 major areas, 7 areas and 18 elements. Second, all components of the developed model were valid in most of the statistics such as mean, standard deviation, the degree of consensus and convergence, and CVR(Content Validity Ratio). Third, importance for education contents area and element according to the school level are analyzed.
- 교육과학기술부 (2010). 창의인재와 선진과학기술로 여는 미래 대한민국. 2011년 업무보고.
- 김영민 (2012). 공학전문가가 인지하는 고등학교 공학 기술 교과 교육 목표와 내용 요소. 충남대학교 석사학위논문.
- 김영민 외 (2016). 중.고등학교 기술교사의 공학교육에 대한 인식 및 교육요구도. 공학교육연구, 19(3), 13-22.
- 김영민 외 (2013a). 초.중등교육에서의 공학교육 프로그램 개발 - 중학교 건설공학분야를 중심으로 -. 한국기술교육학회지, 13(2), 21-41.
- 김영민 외 (2013b). 초.중등교육에서의 공학교육에 대한 공학전문가들의 인식 연구. 대한공업교육학회지, 38(2), 136-155.
- 김영민 외 (2013c). 초.중등교육에서의 초.중등 공학교육에 대한 인식 분석. 공학교육연구, 16(5), 9-17.
- 김영민, 강정하, 허남영 (2015). 과학 영재 학생들의 공학에 대한 이미지와 인식 분석. 영재교육연구, 25(1), 95-117. https://doi.org/10.9722/JGTE.2015.25.1.95
- 김종승 외 (2013). 초등학교 학생들의 공학자, 과학자, 기술자에 대한 인식 및 이미지 분석. 한국기술교육학회지, 13(1), 67-92.
- 문대영 (2009). 초등학생의 공학에 대한 태도 및 공학 문제해결에 대한 사례 연구: STEM 통합 접근 교육 프로그램 적용을 통해. 한국실과교육학회지, 22(4), 51-66.
- 손소영 (2007). 특집 1 : K-12. 공학교육, 14(4), 7-9.
- Asunda, P. A., Hill, R. B. (2007), Critical Features of Engineering Design in Technology Education. Journal of Industrial Teacher Education, 44 (1).
- Carroll, D. R. (1997). Bridge engineering for the elementary grades. Journal of Engineering Education, 86 (3), 221-226. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.1997.tb00288.x
- Cunningham, C. M., & Hester, K. (2007). Engineering is Elementary: An Engineering and Technology Curriculum for Children. Proceedings of the 2007 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition.
- Daugherty, J. L., & Custer, R. L.(2012). Secondary level engineering professional development: content, pedagogy, and challenges. International Journal of Technology Design Education, 22 (1), 51-64. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10798-010-9136-2
- Dearing, B. M. & Daugherty, M. K. (2004). Delivering engineering content in technology education. The Technology Teacher, 64 (3), 8-11.
- Douglas, J., Iversen, E., & Kalyandurg, C. (2004). Engineering in the K-12 Classroom An Analysis of Current Practices & Guidelines for the Future. ASEE Engineering K12 Center.
- Foster, P. N. & Wright, M. D. (2001). How children think about design and technology: Two case studies. Journal of Industrial Teacher Education, 38 (2), 40-64.
- Gustafson, B. J., Rowell, P. M., & Guilbert, S. M. (2000). Elementary children's awareness of strategies for testing structural strength: A three year study. Journal of Technology Education, 11 (2), 5-22.
- Harris, K. S. & Rogers, G. E. (2008). Secondary Engineering Competencies: A Delphi Study of Engineering Faculty. Journal of Industrial Teacher Education, 45 (1).
- Householder, D. L., & Hailey, C. E. (2012). Incorporating engineering design challenges into STEM courses. National Center for Technology and Engineering Education.
- International Technology Education Association[ITEA] (2000/2002/2007). Standards for technological literacy: Content for the study of technology. VA: Author.
- Kersten, J. A. (2013). Integration of engineering education by high school teachers to meet standards in the Physics classroom. the university of Minnesota.
- Koch, J. & Burghardt, M. D. (2002). Design technology in the elementary school: A study of teacher action research. Journal of Technology Education, 13 (2), 21-32.
- Koehler, C. et al. (2005). Engineering Frameworks for a High School Setting: Guidelines for Technical Literacy for High School students. Retrieved February 26, 2010 from the World Wide Web: http://soa.asee.org/paper/conference/paper-view.cfm?id=21254.
- Koen, B. V. (1994). Toward a strategy for teaching engineering design. Journal of Engineering education, 83 (3), 193-201. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.1994.tb01104.x
- Lovel, T., & Dunn, D. (2014). Teaching engineering habits of mind in technology education. Technology and engineering teacher, 73 (8).
- Marshall, J. A., & Berland, L. K. (2012). Developing a Vision of Pre-College Engineering Education. Journal of Pre-College Engineering Education Research(J-PEER), 2 (2).
- Moffett, G. E., Weis, A. M., & Banilower, E. R. (2011). Engineering is Elementary: Impacts on Students Historically-Underrepresented in STEM Fields. Chapel Hill, NC: Horizon Research.Moore, Tank, Glancy & Kersten, 2015;
- Moore, T. J. et al. (2015). NGSS and the Landscape of Engineering in K-12 State Science Standards. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 52 (3), 296-318. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.21199
- National Academy of Engineering & National Research Council[NAE & NRC] (2009). Engineering in K-12 Education: understanding the status and improving the prospects. Washington D.C: The National Academies Press.
- National Research Council[NRC] (2012). A Framework for K-12 science education: Practices, crosscutting concepts, and core Idea. Washington D.C: National Academies Press.
- NGSS Lead States (2013). Next Generation Science Standards: For States, By States. Washington, DC: National Academies Press.
- Pinelli, T. E., & Haynie, W. J. (2010). A case for the Nationwide Inclusion of Engineering in the K-12 Curriculum via Technology Education. Journal of Technology Education, 21 (2).
- Project Lead The Way (2005). About Project Lead The Way: An overview. NY: Author.
- Ritz, J. M. (2006). Technology and engineering are both addressed through technology education. The Technology Teacher, 66 (3), 19-21.
- Rogers, C., Foster, J., & Wendell, K. B. (2010). A review of the NAE report on engineering in K-12 education. Journal of Engineering Education, 99 (2), 179-181.Salinger, 2005; https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2010.tb01054.x
- Samuels, K. & Seymour, R. (2015). the middle school curriculum: engineering anyone?. technology and engineering teacher.
- Smith, K. L. & Burghardt, D. (2007). Teaching engineering at the k-12 level: Two perspectives. The Technology Teacher, 66 (7), 20-24.Wicklein, 2006;
- Smith, P. C. (2006). Essentail aspects and related academic concepts of an engineering design curriculum in secondary technology education. Athens, Georgia.
- Wicklein, R., Smith, P. C., & Kim, S. J. (2009). Essential Concepts of Engineering Design Curriculum in Secondary Technology Education. Journal of Technology Education, 20 (2).