- Volume 23 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Technical Trends and Issues Related to Maintenance/Inspection Drones for Ships or Offshore Plants
선박/해양플랜트 유지보수 점검용 드론의 기술현황과 과제
- Kim, Kyunghwa (Future Technology Research Team, Korean Register of Shipping (KR)) ;
- Chun, Kangwoo (Future Technology Research Team, Korean Register of Shipping (KR))
- Received : 2017.05.31
- Accepted : 2017.08.28
- Published : 2017.08.31
Drones, which were first developed for the military use, have been widely applied in various industrial fields through the rapid development of element technology. Following this trend, the marine industry has started to utilize drones for maintenance and inspection purposes, especially, in Europe. To extend the use of drones in the marine industry, this paper first discusses the necessity of drones for the marine use by presenting problems related to maintenance and inspection works on ships and offshore plants. In addition, the technical levels of advanced countries where drones have been commercialized already in the marine industry are mentioned. Furthermore, technical challenges that must be solved are explained in preparation for a drone era in the marine industry. Lastly, the potential growth of the drone market in the marine industry is considered.
Grant : 선박/해양플랜트 유지보수 점검용 드론 핵심 기술개발 기획연구
Supported by : 한국해양과학기술진흥원
- Byun, G. S. and H. R. Cho(2016), The Stabilization Loop Design for a Drone-Mounted Camera Gimbal System Using Intelligent-PID Controller, J. Korea Institute of Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol. 15, No. 1, p. 103.
- Choi, Y. C. and H. S. Ahn(2015), The Technical Developments and Prospects of Drones, The World of Electricity, Vol. 64, No. 12, p. 22.
- Clarkson Research(2015), Shipbuilding Forecast Club - Fore-cast Report, p. 172.
- Gasnews(2016), Bridge pipeline diagnosis technology and equipment development using drones, December 8 2016.
- Hoseo University(2006), Safety Management Technique for Hydrogen Gas, R&D report, p. 1.
- IACS(2016), UR Z10.2 - Hull Surveys of Bulk Carriers, p. 7.
- IEC(2012), Patrick Leroux, Area Classification, p. 36.
- Irobot news(2016), Development of lithium-ion battery operating at low temperature, February 1 2016.
- KAIST(2015), Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Development of a wall-climbing drone, History and Future Dialogue of 2015.
- KARI(2016), Korea Aerospace Research Institute, Competition to develop ultra-precise GPS calibration system with error less than 1m, http://blog.kari.re.kr/?p=2941.
- Kim, D. W., J. J. Song, J. Nam and H. Y. Choi(2012), Design of SCADA System for a Large-Scale Offshore Wind Farm, KIPS (Transactions on Computer and Communication Systems), Vol. 1, No. 3, p. 161. https://doi.org/10.3745/KTCCS.2012.1.3.161
- Kim, H. S. and Y. H. Han(2017), Implementation of Fail-Safe During Drone's Flight, Journal of Korean Institute of Information Technology (KIIT), Vol. 15, No. 2, p. 33.
- Kim, K. B.(2016), Technical Trends of Aircraft Electric Propulsion System, KARI (Korea Aerospace Research Institute), Vol. 14, No. 1, p. 72, pp. 76-77.
- KMOU(2017), Korea Maritime and Ocean University, The drones float at KMOU, Press release, March 21 2017.
- KOTRA(2014), Fujian Province - China offshore wind power energy industry trends and forecasts, C&I (Control & Instrumentation), p. 104.
- KR(2015), Korean Register of Shipping, Guidebook for classification survey, p. 193.
- Lee, S. N.(2013), Non-destructive inspection technology using infrared ray camera, Procon, Special Issues - September, pp. 128-129.
- Lee, Y. S., E. Kim and J. M. Kim(2015), A Study on the Drones which the Flight Covers Indoor using by a Beacon, IEIE (Institute of Electronics and Information Engineers), Annual Summer Conference 2015, p. 1625.
- Min, C. S.(2016), A Study on the Electrical Facilities Design with Explosion Proof, The Korean Institute of Electrical Engineers, Autumn Symposium, October 27-29 2016, p. 85.
- MOF of ROK(2016), Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries of Republic of Korea, Competition to support the feasibility study of offshore plant service industry, Press release, February 15 2016.
- MP(2017), Materials Performance, Drone Shows Promise in Measuring Coating Thickness, July 31 2017.
- Osenar, P., J. Sisco and C. Reid(2017), Advanced Propulsion for Small Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, BALLARD White Paper, p. 6.
- Reimann, S., J. Amos, E. Bergquist, J. Cole, J. Phillips and S. Shuster(2013), UAV for Reliability, AEM 4331 - Aerospace Vehicle Design, p. 2.
- Robot News(2016), Wireless charging system for drones, September 1 2016.
- SBM Offshore(2015), Floating Production Systems Market Outlook 2015-2019, p. 5.
- Sechang Instruments(2007), Coating thickness measurement technology, p. 7.
- Sisco, J.(2017), New fuel cell technologies extend missions for vertical take-off and landing unmanned aerial vehicles, AUVSI's XPONENTIAL 2017-Sisco, p. 14.
- UNCTAD(2016), United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, Review of Maritime Transport 2016, p. 30.
- Unmanned Aerial(2016), General Electric Has a New Drone in the Works: the Raven, Drone News, October 5 2016.