- Volume 38 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Case Study of Burning Mouth Syndrome with Oro-facial Dyskinesia Treated with Korean Medicine using Se-sim Pharmacopuncture
심화상염(心火上炎)으로 진단된 설통(舌痛)과 구강안면부 진전(振顫)의 세심약침을 이용한 한의치료 1례
- Kim, Min-serh (Dept. of Oriental Internal Medicine, College of Oriental Medicine, Dong-Eui University, Dong-Eui Medical Center) ;
- Lee, Jun-su (Dept. of Oriental Internal Medicine, College of Oriental Medicine, Dong-Eui University, Ulsan Hospital) ;
- Park, Sang-eun (Dept. of Oriental Internal Medicine, College of Oriental Medicine, Dong-Eui University, Ulsan Hospital) ;
- Hong, Sang-hoon (Dept. of Oriental Internal Medicine, College of Oriental Medicine, Dong-Eui University, Dong-Eui Medical Center)
- 김민서 (동의대학교 부속 한방병원 한방내과) ;
- 이준수 (동의대학교 부속 울산한방병원 한방내과) ;
- 박상은 (동의대학교 부속 울산한방병원 한방내과) ;
- 홍상훈 (동의대학교 부속 한방병원 한방내과)
- Received : 2017.09.11
- Accepted : 2017.10.29
- Published : 2017.10.30
Objectives: This clinical report describes one patient with the clinical characteristics of burning mouth syndrome accompanied by oro-facial dyskinesia. Methods: The patient with burning mouth syndrome and jaw tremor was treated using the following Korean medicine treatments: the herbal medicines Yukgunja-tang-gami (六君子湯加味) and Sibak-tang-gami (柴朴湯加味) and acupuncture for 16 days, together with 10 Se-sim (Uncaria Ramulus et Uncus) pharmacopuncture procedures. Patient symptoms were evaluated daily using a Visual Analog Scale questionnaire and twice using the STAI (State-Trait Anxiety Inventory) questionnaire. Results: After the treatments, the oro-facial dyskinesia and burning sensation on the tongue were improved by 62.5%. The mental state of anxiety, regarded as the reason for these complaints, was also improved, based on the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory results (67/61 versus 57/52). We found that the improvement was better when combining Se-sim (Uncaria Ramulus et Uncus) pharmacopuncture with the conventional herbal medicine and acupuncture used in Korean medicine. Conclusion: Korean medicine treatments may be valuable for patients with burning mouth syndrome and oro-facial dyskinesia.
- Maina G, Albert U, Gandolfo S, Vitalucci A, Bogetto F. Personality disorders in patients with burning mouth syndrome. Journal of Personality Disorders 2005;1(1):84-93.
- Pia LJ, Fabio CA, Paz AM, Mariano SS, Francisco GG. Burning mouth syndrome: Update. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2010; 15(4):e562-8.
- Torgerson RR. Burning mouth syndrome. Dermatologic Therapy 2010;23(3):291-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1529-8019.2010.01325.x
- Hideki O, Atsushi C, Yoshiro H, Keigo U, Masaki R, Takao Nl. A Valid Approach in Refractory Glossodynia: A Single-Institution 5-Year Experience Treating with Japanese Traditional Herbal (Kampo) Medicine. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2013;Article ID 354872.
- Koller WC. Edentulous orodyskinesia. Ann Neurol 1983;13(1):97-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/ana.410130121
- Blanchet PJ, Abdillahi O, Beauvais C, Rompre PH, Lavigne GJ. Prevalence of spontaneous oral dyskinesia in the elderly: A reappraisal. Mov Disord 2004;19:892-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.20130
- Department of cardiovascular and neurologic diseases, college of Korean medicine. Textbook of oriental medicine(cardiovascular and neurologic disease. 4th edition. Seoul: Koonja publishing; 2010, p. 435-8.
- Kim JT, Shin DG. A Study Based on the Standardization of the STAI for Korea. Modern Medicine 1978;2(11):63-75.
- Bessho K, Okubo Y, Hori S, Murakami K, Iizuka T. Effectiveness of Kampo medicine (Sai-boku-to) in treatment of patients with glossodynia. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1998;86(6):682-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1079-2104(98)90204-9
- Femiano F, Gombos F, Scully C. Burning mouth syndrome: open trial of psychotherapy alone, medication with alpha-lipoic acid (thioctic acid), and combination therapy. Med Oral 2004;9(1):8-13.
- Huh J. Dongeui Bogam. Kyeongnam: Dongeui Bogam publisher; 2006, p. 580-1.
- Cheon YJ, Park YS, Kim JT, Lim SC. Evaluation for Effectiveness and Tolerance Duration of Initial Medication on Untreated Early Parkinson's Disease. Yakhak Hoeji 2015;59(3):127-34. https://doi.org/10.17480/psk.2015.59.3.127
- Sun SH. Literature Review on Syndrome Differentiation of Tremor, Focusing on Chinese Journals. Korean J Orient Int Med 2010;31(1):40-53.
- Bessho K, Okubo Y, Hori S, Murakami K, Lizuka T. Effectiveness of kampo medicine (Sai-boku-to) in treatment of patients with glossdynia. Oral surgery oral medicine oral pathology 1998;86(6):682-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1079-2104(98)90204-9
- Lee JG, Park HJ, Kim DW, Song BK. The Effect of the Uncariae Ramulus et Uncus on the Regeneration Following CNS Injury. The Journal of Pharmacopuncture 2009;12(1):67-76. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2009.12.1.067