- Volume 17 Issue 11
The study empirically explored factors influencing photo sharing behavior on Instagram based on the uses and gratification theory. An online survey was conducted 356 respondents those who have used Instagram and have shared photos within the last three months. Frequency analysis, descriptive statistics, confirmatory factor analysis, and structural model analysis were conducted using SPSS 19.0 and AMOS 21.0. The results of this study are as follows: first, communication has the greatest effect on photo-sharing behavior; second, entertainment has a positive effect on photo-sharing behavior; third, self-expression has a positive effect on photo-sharing behavior; fourth, service users' trust has a positive effect on photo-sharing behavior. This study adds to the current literature and contributes to understanding consumers' photo-sharing behavior.
Uses and Gratification Theory;Photo Sharing Behavior;Trust;Instagram;SNS
- T. Zhou and H. Li, "Understanding Mobile SNS Continuance Usage in China from the Perspectives of Social Influence and Privacy Concern," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.37, pp.283-289, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.05.008
- E. Lee, J. A. Lee, J. H. Moon, and Y. Sung, Cyberpsychology, "Pictures Speak Louder than Words: Motivations for Using Instagram," Behavior, and Social Networking, Vol.18, No.9, pp.552-556, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1089/cyber.2015.0157
- A. L. Mendelson and Z. Papacharissi, "Look at Us: Collective Narcissism in College Student Facebook Photo Galleries, The Networked Self: Identity," Community and Culture on Social Network Sites, Vol.1974, pp.1-37, 2010.
- O. Tsur and A. Rappoport, What's in a Hashtag?: Content based Prediction of the Spread of Ideas in Microblogging Communities. Proceedings of the fifth ACM international conference on Web search and data mining ACM. February 643-652; Seattle, USA, 2012.
- C. L. Kujath, "Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking," Facebook and MySpace: Complement or Substitute for Face-to-Face Interaction?, Vol.14, No.1, pp.75-78, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1089/cyber.2009.0311
- D. H. Shin, "User Experience in Social Commerce: In Friends We Trust," Behaviour & information technology, Vol.32, No.1, pp.52-67, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1080/0144929X.2012.692167
- N. K. Austin, K. I. Ibeh, and J. C. C. Yee, "Consumer Trust in the Online Travel Marketplace," Journal of Internet Commerce, Vol.5, No.2, pp.21-39, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1300/J179v05n02_02
- S. Srinivasan, "Role of Trust in e-business Success," Information Management & Computer Security, Vol.12, No.1, pp.66-72, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1108/09685220410518838
- P. W. Fu, C. C. Wu, and Y. J. Cho, "What Makes Users Share Content on Facebook? Compatibility Among Psychological Incentive, Social Capital Focus, and Content Type," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.67, pp.23-32, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2016.10.010
- H. Y. Huang, "Examining the Beneficial Effects of Individual's Self-disclosure on the Social Network Site," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.57, pp.122-132, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2015.12.030
- M. Koohikamali, D. A. Peak, and V. R. Prybutok, "Beyond Self-disclosure: Disclosure of Information about Others in Social Network Sites," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.69, pp.29-42, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2016.12.012
- C. Gan and W. Wang, "Uses and Gratifications of Social Media: A Comparison of Microblog and WeChat," Journal of Systems and Information Technology, Vol.17, No.4, pp.351-363, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1108/JSIT-06-2015-0052
- S. Alhabash, Y. H. Chiang, and K. Huang, "MAM & U&G in Taiwan: Differences in the Uses and Gratifications of Facebook as a Function of Motivational Reactivity," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.35, pp.423-430, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.03.033
- A. Malik, A. Dhir, and M. Nieminen, "Uses and Gratifications of Digital Photo Sharing on Facebook," Telematics and Informatics, Vol.33, No.1, pp.129-138, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tele.2015.06.009
- A. Oeldorf-Hirsch and S. S. Sundar, "Posting, Commenting, and Tagging: Effects of Sharing News Stories on Facebook," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.44, pp.240-249, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.11.024
- D. Goh, R. Ang, A. Chua, and C. Lee, Active Media Technology. Why We Share: A Study of Motivations for Mobile Media Sharing. Proceedings of 5th International Conference AMT October 195-206; Beijing, China, 2009.
- F. Y. Hong and S. L. Chiu, "Factors Influencing Facebook Usage and Facebook Addictive Tendency in University Students: The Role of Online Psychological Privacy and Facebook Usage Motivation," Stress and Health, Vol.32, No.2, pp.117-127, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1002/smi.2585
- G. Seidman, "Self-presentation and Belonging on Facebook: How Personality Influences Social Media Use and Motivations," Personality and Individual Differences, Vol.54, No.3, pp.402-407, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2012.10.009
- J. Larsen, "Families Seen Sightseeing: Performativity of Tourist Photography," Space and Culture, Vol.8, No.4, pp.416-434, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1177/1206331205279354
- L. Edwards and I. Brown, Data Control and Social Networking:Irreconcilable Ideas?, Stanford University Press, 2009.
- D. J. Kim, D. L. Ferrin, and H. R. Rao, "A Trust-based Consumer Decision-making Model in Electronic Commerce: The Role of Trust, Perceived Risk, and Their Cntecedents," Decision Support Systems, Vol.44, No.2, pp.544-564, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2007.07.001
- W. G. Graziano and R. M. Tobin, "Agreeableness: Dimension of Personality or Social Desirability Artifact?," Journal of Personality, Vol.70, No.5, pp.695-728, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-6494.05021
- N. Van House, M. Davis, Y. Takhteyev, N. Good, A. Wilhelm, and M. Finn, From "What?" to "Why?": the Social Uses of Personal Photos, In Proceedings. of CSCW November 6-10; Chicago, USA, 2004.
- A. N. Joinson, Looking at, Looking up or Keeping up with People?: Motives and Use of Facebook. Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, April 1027-1036; Florence, Italy, 2008.
- A. D. Smock, N. B. Ellison, C. Lampe, and D. Y. Wohn, "Facebook as a Toolkit: A Uses and Gratification Approach to Unbundling Feature Use," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.27, No.6, pp.2322-2329, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2011.07.011
- E. E. Hollenbaugh and A. L. Ferris, "Facebook Self-disclosure: Examining the Role of Traits, Social Cohesion, and Motives," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.30, pp.50-58, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2013.07.055
- 노미진, 이경탁, "사회적 외로움이 SNS 사용자의 자기노출에 미치는 영향," 인터넷전자상거래 연구, 제15권, 제6호, pp.191-211, 2015.
- E. Goffman, The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life, Garden City, New York, 1959.
- 이정권, 최영, "소셜미디어 이용 동기 연구," 한국언론학보, 제59권, 제1호, pp.115-148, 2015.
- P. A. Pavlou and M. Fygenson, "Understanding and Predicting Electronic Commerce Adoption: An Extension of the Theory of Planned Behavior," MIS Quarterly, Vol.30, No.1, pp.115-143, 2006. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148720
- S. Chari, G. Christodoulides, C. Presi, J. Wenhold, and J. P. Casaletto, "Consumer Trust in User Generated Brand Recommendations on Facebook," Psychology & Marketing, Vol.33, No.12, pp.1071-1081, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20941
- K. L. Hsiao, "Why Internet Users Are Willing to Pay for Social Networking Services," Online Information Review, Vol.35, No.5, pp.770-788, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1108/14684521111176499
- S. C. Chu and Y. Kim, "Determinants of Consumer Engagement in Electronic Word-of-mouth(eWOM) in Social Networking Sites," International Journal of Advertising, Vol.30, No.1, pp.47-75, 2011. https://doi.org/10.2501/IJA-30-1-047-075
- Y. Al-Saggaf and S. Nielsen, "Self-disclosure on Facebook among Female Users and Its Relationship to Feelings of Loneliness," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.36, pp.460-468, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.04.014
- 우종필, 구조방정식모델 개념과 이해, 한나래출판사, 2012.
- 이동만, 박현선, "소셜 미디어에서 개인의 심리 및 사회적 동기요인이 정보공유의도에 미치는 영향," 인터넷전자상거래연구, 제11권, 제2호, pp.1-21, 2011
- C. Fornell and D. F. Lacker, "Evaluating Structural Equation Modeling for Travel Behavior Research," University of Michigan, Vol.37, pp.1-25, 1981.
- L. R. Tucker and C. Lewis, "A Reliability Coefficient for Maximum Likelihood Factor Analysis," Psychometrika, Vol.38, No.1, pp.1-10, 1973. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02291170
- 박경인, 조창환, "SNS 상의 공유행동에 영향을 미치는 요인: 사용자의 사회자본의 조절 효과를 중심으로," 광고학연구, 제25권, 제5호, pp.153-180, 2014.
- R. D. Putnam, "Bowling Alone: America's Declining Social Capital," Jounal of Democracy, Vol.6, No.1, pp.223-234, 2000.
- J. L. Skues, B. Williams, and L. Wise, "The Effects of Personality Traits, Self-esteem, Loneliness, and Narcissism on Facebook Use among University Students," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.28, No.6, pp.2414-2419, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2012.07.012
- R. Harrison and M. Thomas, "Identity in Online Communities: Social networking Sites and Language Learning," International Journal of Emerging Technologies and Society, Vol.7, No.2, p.109, 2009.
- D. E. Wittkower, "Facebook and Dramauthentic Identity: A Post-Goffmanian Theory of Identity Prformance on SNS," First Monday, Vol.19, No.4, pp.1-55, 2014.
- J. Lee, M. Agrawal, and H. R. Rao, "Message Diffusion Through Social Network Service: The Case of Rumor and Non-rumor Related Tweets During Boston Bombing 2013," Information Systems Frontiers, Vol.17, No.5, pp.997-1005, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10796-015-9568-z
- A. M. Kaplan and M. Haenlein, "Users of the World, Unite! The Challenges and Opportunities of Social Media," Business Horizons, Vol.53, No.1, pp.59-68, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2009.09.003
- C. Dwyer, S. Hiltz, and K. Passerini, Trust and Privacy Concern within Social Networking Sites: A Comparison of Facebook and MySpace. Proceedings of th AMCIS 2007, January 9-12, Keystone, Colorado, 2007.