- Volume 18 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
The Characteristics of Firms' Innovative Activities in the 'Ppuri Industries' of Daejeon: Focusing on Firms in Ppuri Industries that Participated in Daejeon Technopark's Supporting Programs
대전지역 뿌리산업 업체들의 혁신활동 특성과 정책적 시사점: 대전테크노파크 뿌리산업 지원사업 참여 업체에 대한 혁신활동 조사를 중심으로
- Lim, Jong Il (Daejeon Technopark, Department of IT Convergence and Management, Korea University of Technology and Education) ;
- Ji, Ilyong (Department of IT Convergence and Management, Korea University of Technology and Education)
- Received : 2017.08.31
- Accepted : 2017.11.03
- Published : 2017.11.30
The national government, as well as many regional governments, have supported the 'Ppuri industries', and the Daejeon region is in need of developing these sectors. Various research studies have examined the ppuri industries. However, there are limited studies concerning innovative activities and difficulties in the industries. Therefore, this paper focuses on firms' innovative activities and difficulties in the ppuri industries in the Daejeon region and provides policy implications. For this purpose, we surveyed firms supported by Daejeon Technopark's Ppuri industries programs, utilizing an innovation survey questionnaire developed by STEPI. We assumed that these firms have high intention for innovation among firms in the Daejeon's ppruri industries, and tried to identify characteristics and problems of innovative activities by comparing results with those of STEPI's Korean Innovation Survey. The results show that the overall pattern of innovative activities of Daejeon's ppuri industry firms do not differ from those found in the Korean Innovation Survey. However, there are a few notable differences. The rate of aborted innovation in the Daejoen's ppuri industries was higher than those found in the Korean Innovation Survey. Lack of financing was a major factor hampering innovation. These results provide policy implications that industrial and regional characteristics of ppuri industries must be reflected in the policy, and also policy measures for lowering the rate of aborted innovation.
Supported by : 과학기술정보통신부, 연구재단
- Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy, Act on the Promotion and Sophistication of Ppuri Industries, Act No. 12291, Jan. 21, 2014.
- ETNEWS, "[Industry Analysis by Patents]<6> Ppuri Industries", ETNEWS, 25 November, 2014.
- Ministry of Knowledge Economy, Strategies for Enhancing the Competitiveness of Ppuri Industries, May 6, 2010.
- Juhyun Jo, "The Current Trend of Ppuri Industries and Policy Measures", Issues and Points, No. 904, 28 Aug, 2014.
- Ppuri News, "Government to Reflect the Industry's Voice in the Second Ppuri Plan", Ppuri News, 8 September 2016.
- Byung-Keun Kim et al., A Study on Establishing and Support a Science-Based Industry Cluster in ISBB Core Areea, Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning, 2017.
- Hong-Yeol Jung, Regional Economics. Sigma Press, 2012.
- Daniel Archibugi and Carlo Pietrobelli, "The Globalisation of Technology and its Implication for Developing Countries: Windows of Opportunity or Further Burden?", Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 70(9), pp. 861-883, 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0040-1625(02)00409-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0040-1625(02)00409-2
- Ann Markusen, "Sticky Places in Slippery Space: A Typology of Industrial districts", Economic Geography, 72(3), pp. 293-313, 1996. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/144402 https://doi.org/10.2307/144402
- Chris Freeman and Luc Soete, The Economics of Industrial Innovation, 3rd Edition, Routlege, 1997.
- Bengt-Ake Lundvall (ed.), National Systems of Innovation: Towards a Theory of Innovation and Interactive Learning, Pinter, London, 1992.
- Bjorn T. Asheim and Meric S. Gertler, "The Geography of Innovation: Regional Innovation Systems", Chapter 11 in Jan Fagerberg, David Mowery, and Richard Nelson, The Oxford Handbook of Innovation, Oxford University Press, pp. 291-317, 2005.
- OECD, Innovative Clusters: Drivers of National Innovation Systems, Paris: OECD Publications, 2001.
- Erkko Autio and Llewellyn D. Thomas, "Innovation Ecosystems: implications for innovation management?", The Oxford Handbook of Innovation Management, Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, pp. 204-228, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199694945.013.012
- Ilyong Ji and Byung-Keun Kim, The Opportunities and Limitations of Building an Innovation Cluster Based on Large Scale Research Facilities: Implications for Developing and Advancing the Korean International Science-Business Belt, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 17(7), pp. 165-174, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.7.165 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.7.165
- Franco Malerba, "Sectoral systems of innovation and production", Research Policy, 31, pp. 247-264. 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(01)00139-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(01)00139-1
- James M. Utterback and William J. Abernathy, "A dynamic model of process and product innovation", OMEGA, The International Journal of Management Science, 3(6), pp. 639-656, 1975. https://doi.org/10.1016/0305-0483(75)90068-7
- Keith Pavitt, "Sectoral patterns of technical change: Towards a taxonomy and a theory", Research Policy, 13, pp. 343-373, 1984. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-7333(84)90018-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-7333(84)90018-0
- Stefano Breschi, Franco Malerba and Luigi Orsenigo, "Technological Regimes and Schumpeterian patterns of innovation", The Economic Journal, 110, 388-410, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-0297.00530 https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-0297.00530
- Ilyong Ji, "Challenges in the national standardization of transport protocol expert group service technologies in Korea: implications for latecomer countries", Asian Journal of Technology Innovation, 20(2), pp. 171-185, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/19761597.2012.726416 https://doi.org/10.1080/19761597.2012.726416
- Illyong Ji, Youngwook Ko, Eunyoung Seo, Jae-Yong Choung, "The innovation system of the Korean Motion Picture Sector", Journal of Korea Technology Innovation Society, 14(2), pp. 343-372, 2011.
- Gawon Cho, Heejong Kang, Jeongjin Kim, Changsoo Son, Minjae Kim, "Report on the Korean Innovation Survey 2014: Manufacturing Sector", STEPI, 2014.
- KOSBI, A proposal of law for the advancement of Ppuri industries, Korea Small Business Institute, 2011.
- Ppuri Technologies Online Library, http://ppuri.auri.go.kr/pageView/482, accessed on 21 Aug 2017.
- Ppuri Industries Survey, http://kosis.kr/statisticsList/statisticsList_01List.jsp?vwcd=MT_ZTITLE&parmTabId=M_01_01#SubCont, accessed on 21 Aug 2017.
- Young-Jin Kim and Byung-Keun Kim, "An empirical study on the determinants of innovation performance of SMEs in the Daejeon and Chungcheong Region", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 17(9), pp. 102-111, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.9.102 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.9.102
- Roy Rothwell, "Small firms, innovation and industrial change", Small Business Economics, 1, pp. 51-64, 1989. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00389916 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00389916
- Ilyong Ji, A study on the characteristics of regional innovation by analyzing local SMEs' patent statistics, KOREATECH Graduate School Working Paper, 2015.