- Volume 39 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Automatic Contrast Enhancement by Transfer Function Modification
- Bae, Tae Wuk (IT Convergence Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Ahn, Sang Ho (Department of Electronic Engineering, Inje University) ;
- Altunbasak, Yucel (School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2015.10.02
- Accepted : 2016.11.03
- Published : 2017.02.01
In this study, we propose an automatic contrast enhancement method based on transfer function modification (TFM) by histogram equalization. Previous histogram-based global contrast enhancement techniques employ histogram modification, whereas we propose a direct TFM technique that considers the mean brightness of an image during contrast enhancement. The mean point shifting method using a transfer function is proposed to preserve the mean brightness of an image. In addition, the linearization of transfer function technique, which has a histogram flattening effect, is designed to reduce visual artifacts. An attenuation factor is automatically determined using the maximum value of the probability density function in an image to control its rate of contrast. A new quantitative measurement method called sparsity of a histogram is proposed to obtain a better objective comparison relative to previous global contrast enhancement methods. According to our experimental results, we demonstrated the performance of our proposed method based on generalized measures and the newly proposed measurement.
Grant : Local-based medical device/robot development & medical IT convergence for small and medium enterprise revitalization project
Supported by : ETRI
- C. Gonazalez, E. Woods, and L. Eddins, Digital Image Processing Using MATLAB, FL, USA: Pearson Prentice Hall, 2004, pp. 81-84.
- S.T. Birchfield and S. Rangarajan, "Spatial Histograms for Region-Based Tracking," ETRI J., vol. 29, no. 5, Oct. 2007, pp. 697-699. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.07.0207.0017
- Y. Kim, "Contrast Enhancement Using Brightness Preserving Bi-Histogram Equalization," IEEE Trans. Consum. Electron., vol. 43, no. 1, Feb. 1997, pp. 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1109/30.580378
- T. Arici, S. Dikbas, and Y. Altunbasak, "A Histogram Modification Framework and Its Application for Image Contrast Enhancement," IEEE Trans. Image Process., vol. 18, no. 9, Sept. 2009, pp. 1921-1935. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2009.2021548
- Y. Wang, Q. Chen, and B. Zhang, "Image Enhancement Based on Equal Area Dualistic Sub-image Histogram Equalization Method," IEEE Trans. Consum. Electron., vol. 45, no. 1, Feb. 1999, pp. 68-75. https://doi.org/10.1109/30.754419
- S.D. Chen and A.R. Ramli, "Minimum Mean Brightness Error Bi-Histogram Equalization in Contrast Enhancement," IEEE Trans. Consum. Electron., vol. 49, no. 4, Nov. 2003, pp. 1310-1319. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2003.1261234
- M. Nilsson, M. Dahl, and I. Claesson, "The Successive Mean Quantization Transform," IEEE Int. Conf. Acoustics Speech Signal Process., Philadelphia, PA, USA, Mar. 18-23, 2005, pp. 429-432.
- M. Nilsson, M. Dahl, and I. Claesson, "Gray-Scale Image Enhancement Using the SMQT," IEEE Int. Conf. Image Process., Genoa, Italy, Sept. 11-14, 2005, pp. 933-936.
- M. Nilsson et al., "Automatic Enhancement and Subjective Evaluation of Dental X-Ray Images Using the SMQT," Int. Conf. Inform. Commun. Signal Process., Bangkok, Thailand, Dec. 6-9, 2005, pp. 1448-1451.
- S.D. Chen and A.R. Ramli, "Contrast Enhancement Using Recursive Mean-Separate Histogram Equalization for Scalable Brightness Preservation," IEEE Trans. Consum. Electron., vol. 49, no. 4, Nov. 2003, pp. 1301-1309. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2003.1261233
- D. Menotti et al., "Multi-Histogram Equalization Methods for Contrast Enhancement and Brightness Preserving," IEEE Trans. Consum. Electron., vol. 53, no. 3, Aug. 2007, pp. 1186-1194. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2007.4341603
- N. Otsu, "A Threshold Selection Method from Grey-Level Histogram," IEEE Trans. Syst., Man, Cybern., vol. 9, no. 1, Jan. 1979, pp. 41-47.
- S. Yang, J.H. Oh, and Y. Park, "Contrast Enhancement Using Histogram Equalization with Bin Underflow and Bin Overflow," IEEE Int. Conf. Image Process., Catalonia, Spain, Sept. 14-18, 2003, pp. 881-884.
- Q. Wang and R. Ward, "Fast Image/Video Contrast Enhancement Based on Weighted Thresholded Histogram Equalization," IEEE Trans. Consum. Electron., vol. 53, no. 2, May 2007, pp. 757-764. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2007.381756
- T. Kim and J. Paik, "Adaptive Contrast Enhancement Using Gain-Controllable Clipped Histogram Equalization," IEEE Trans. Consum. Electron., vol. 54, no. 4, Nov. 2008, pp. 1803-1810. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2008.4711238
- H. Zhang et al., "Perceptual Contrast Enhancement with Dynamic Range Adjustment," Optik-Int. J. Light Electr. Opt., vol. 124, no. 23, Dec. 2013, pp. 5906-5913. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijleo.2013.04.046
- P. Shanmugavadivu and K. Balasubramanian, "Thresholded and Optimized Histogram Equalization for Contrast Enhancement of Images," Comput. Electric. Eng., vol. 40, no. 3, Apr. 2014, pp. 757-768. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compeleceng.2013.06.013
- H.S. Kim et al., "Enhancement of Particle Swarm Optimization by Stabilizing Particle Movement," ETRI J., vol. 35, no. 6, Dec. 2013, pp. 1168-1171. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.13.0213.0197
- S.C. Huang and C.H. Yeh, "Image Contrast Enhancement for Preserving Mean Brightness without Losing Image Features," Eng. Appli. Artif. Intell., vol. 26, no. 5-6, May 2013, pp. 1487-1492. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engappai.2012.11.011
- E.F. Arriaga-Garcia et al., "Adaptive Sigmoid Function Bi-Histogram Equalization for Image Contrast Enhancement," J. Electron. Imaging, vol. 24, no. 5, Oct. 2015, pp. 0530091-05300913.
- S.D. Chen, "A New Image Quality Measure for Assessment of Histogram Equalization-Based Contrast Enhancement Techniques," Digit. Signal Process., vol. 22, no. 4, July 2012, pp. 640-647. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dsp.2012.04.002