- Volume 28 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Trends of Government Funded Research for Kampo Medicine in Japan and It's Implication
일본에서의 한방의학(漢方醫學)에 대한 국비 지원 연구 동향과 그 함의
- Jeung, Chang-Woon (Research Institute of Korean Medicine Policy, The Association of Korean Medicine) ;
- Choi, Chang-Hyuk (Research Institute of Korean Medicine Policy, The Association of Korean Medicine) ;
- Jo, Hee-Geun (Chung-Yeon Medical Institute) ;
- Song, Min-Yeong (Jangsu-gun Health Center and County Hospital) ;
- Baek, Eun-Hye (Chung-Yeon Medical Institute)
- Received : 2017.11.15
- Accepted : 2018.01.03
- Published : 2018.01.31
Objectives We analyzed the trends of government-funded research on Kampo medicine in Japan to provide advanced evidence to R&D support policy for Korean medicine, and to introduce new research fields and trends to the researchers. Methods We reviewed the researches on Kampo medicine through 'research-er.jp' and 'KAKEN' database which contain R&D status in Japan and scientific research funding project issued by the Japan Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology. Results Since 1976, government-funded research on Kampo medicine has been continuously announced, and now 533 tasks have been completed or are in progress. The average duration of the study is 2.54 years, but it has been prolonged to 3.52 years in recent years. 4~5 million yen was supported per project for laboratory research, and an average of 44,342 thousand yen was supported per project for specialized laboratory research and clinical research. Conclusions Despite the absence of systematically supporting departments, the researches on Kampo medicine in Japan were qualitatively superior since they focused on providing the scientific basis for clinical application. As competition in the world's traditional medicine market becomes more intense, it is necessary to improve the competitiveness of Korean medicine. Therefore, a keen interest in Korean medicine and active support from the government is needed.
Supported by : 청연의학연구소
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. 1st Five-year comprehensive plan of Korean medicine development [serial online] 2005 Dec 22 [cited 2017 Aug 5]. Available from: URL: http://www.mohw.go.kr/front_new/al/sal0301vw.jsp? PAR_MENU_ID=04&MENU_ID=0403&page=1&CONT_ SEQ=36263
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2nd Five-year comprehensive plan of Korean medicine development 2011-2015 [serial online] 2011 Feb 23 [cited 2017 Aug 5]; p. 5-8. Available from: URL: https://www.mohw.go.kr/ front_new/gm/sgm0601vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=13&MENU_ ID=1304020306&page=1&CONT_SEQ=293063
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2nd Five-year comprehensive plan of Korean medicine development 2011-2015 [serial online] 2011 Feb 23 [cited 2017. Aug 5]; p. 47, 51, 104, 122. Available from: URL: https://www.mohw.go.kr/ front_new/gm/sgm0601vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=13&MENU_ ID=1304020306&page=1&CONT_SEQ=293063
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2nd Five-year comprehensive plan of Korean medicine development 2011-2015 [serial online] 2011 Feb 23 [cited 2017 Aug 5]; p.19-20. Available from: URL: https://www.mohw.go.kr/front_ new/gm/sgm0601vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=13&MENU_ID= 1304020306&page=1&CONT_SEQ=293063
- KPA News. 2nd Five-year comprehensive plan of Korean medicine development only invested 56.8% [serial online] 2015 Sep 11 [cited 2017 Aug 6]. Available from: URL: http://www.kpanews.co.kr/article/show.asp?idx=166594
- The Association of Korean Medicine. The Association of Korean Medicine's position on the dissemination of false facts of KMA related to 2nd Five-year comprehensive plan of Korean medicine development [serial online] 2016 Oct 12 [cited 2017 Aug 6]. Available from: URL: http://www.akom.org/bbs/board.php?bo_table=press&wr_ id=2316&page=3
- Year Book of Traditional Korean Medicine Publication Committee. 2015 Year Book of Traditional Korean Medicine. Daejon:Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine, Seoul:The Association of Korean Medicine, Gyeongsan:National Development Institute of Korean Medicine, Busan:Busan National University School of Korean Medicine. 2016:111.
- The Association of Korean Medicine. Ministry of Health and Welfare R&D Budget related Korean medicine is only 1/4 of Chinese TCM University R&D budget [serial online] 2017 Feb 6 [cited 2017 Aug 7]. Available from: URL: http://www.akom.org/bbs/board.php?bo_table=press&wr_id= 2343&page=2
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. 3rd Five-year comprehensive plan of Korean medicine development [serial online] 2016 Dec 7 [cited 2017 Aug 7]. Available from: URL: https://www.mohw.go.kr/front_new/gm/sgm0601vw.jsp? PAR_MENU_ID=13&MENU_ID=1304020306&page=1&CONT_ SEQ=293063
- Lee SC. Current Status and Tasks of Korean Medicine R&D. Korean Medicine Policy. 2016;4(1):67-74.
- Chow SC. Quantitative Methods for Traditional Chinese Medicine Development. Florida:CRC Press. 2015:1-2.
- Han DS. My opinion on Revised Korean Medical Law. Dong-A Ilbo. 1961 Dec 22.
- Seong HJ, Shin HK. The study of the middle & long period future estimating oriental medicine. Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine. 1997 Apr.
- Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine. A Study on Traditiona Chinese Medicine and Japanese Kampo Medicine Research and Development Policy. National Assembly Science, ICT, Broadcasting, and Communications Committee. 2005 Sep.
- Kim YK, Cho S, Kim JY, Kang YS. Semantic Change of Crude Drug Preparations in Korea and Policy Evaluation. Herbal Formula Science. 2013 Dec;21(2):29-43. https://doi.org/10.14374/HFS.2013.21.2.029
- Oka H, Yamamoto S, Kuroki T, Harihara S, Marumo T, Kim SR, Monna T, Kobayashi K, Tango T. Prospective study of chemoprevention of hepatocellular carcinoma with Sho-saiko-to (TJ-9). Cancer. 1995 Sep 1;76(5):743-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19950901)76:5<743::AID-CNCR2820760506>3.0.CO;2-V
- Ishizaki T, Sasaki F, Ameshima S, Shiozaki K, Takahashi H, Abe Y, Ito S, Kuriyama M, Nakai T, Kitagawa M. Pneumonitis during interferon and/or herbal drug therapy in patients with chronic active hepatitis. Eur Respir J, 1996 Dec;9(12):2691-6. https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.96.09122691
- Arai M, Katai S, Muramatsu S, Namiki T, Hanawa T, Izumi S. Current status of Kampo medicine curricula in all Japanese medical schools. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2012 Nov;12:207. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-12-S1-P207
- Integrative medical care Project team, About the efforts of the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare for integrated medical care (Integrative medical care Project team 1st meeting), 2010. 2 [cited 2017. 11. 25] Available: http://www.mhlw.go.jp/shingi/2010/02/dl/s0205-17a.pdf
- Integrative medical care Project team, About the efforts of the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare for integrated medical care (Integrative medical care Project team 2nd meeting), 2010. 4 [cited 2017. 11. 25] Available: http://www.mhlw.go.jp/shingi/2010/04/dl/s0426-9a.pdf
- Rubio DM, Schoenbaum EE, Lee LS, Schteingart DE, Marantz PR, Anderson KE, et al. Defining translational research: implications for training., Acad Med. 2010 Mar; 85(3):470-5. https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0b013e3181ccd618
- Jeung CW, Jo HG, Seol JU. Current Status of Clinical Study on Traditional East Asian Medicine Using Taiwan Health Insurance Claim Data. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2017 Apr;27(2):67-75. https://doi.org/10.18325/JKMR.2017.27.2.67
- Kim CE, Lee CY. An Encounter of Korean Medicine with Systems Biology: Meanings and Prospects. J Physiol & Pathol Korean Med. 2016 Dec;30(6):370-5. https://doi.org/10.15188/kjopp.2016.12.30.6.370
- Lee SJ. Understanding Cold and Hot Pattern Classification Based on Systems Biology. J Physiol & Pathol Korean Med. 2016 Dec;30(6):376-84. https://doi.org/10.15188/kjopp.2016.12.30.6.376
- Han SY, Kim YK. New Approach for Herbal Formula Research: Network Pharmacology. J Physiol & Pathol Korean Med. 2016 Dec;30(6):385-96. https://doi.org/10.15188/kjopp.2016.12.30.6.385
- Bensoussan A, Kellow JE, Bourchier SJ, Fahey P, Shim L, Malcolm A, Boyce P. Efficacy of a Chinese Herbal Medicine in Providing Adequate Relief of Constipationpredominant Irritable Bowel Syndrome: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2015 Nov; 13(11):1946-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cgh.2015.06.022
- Wang C, Cao B, Liu QQ, Zou ZQ, Liang ZA, Gu L, Dong JP, Liang LR, Li XW, Hu K, He XS, Sun YH, An Y, Yang T, Cao ZX, Guo YM, Wen XM, Wang YG, Liu YL, Jiang LD. Oseltamivir compared with the Chinese traditional therapy maxingshigan-yinqiaosan in the treatment of H1N1 influenza: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 2011 Aug 16;155(4):217–25. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-155-4-201108160-00005
- F, Li G, Chen X, Wang X, Piao C, Wang J, Hong Y, Ba Z, Wu S, Zhou X, Lang J, Liu Y, Zhang R, Hao J, Zhu Z, Li H, Fang Liu H, Cao A, Yan Z, An Y, Bai Y, Wang Q, Zhen Z, Yu C, Wang CZ, Yuan CS, Tong X. Chinese herbal medicine tianqi reduces progression from impaired glucose tolerance to diabetes: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, multicenter trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014 Feb;99(2):648-55. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2013-3276
- X, Zhang J, Huang J, Ma A, Yang J, Li W, Wu Z, Yao C, Zhang Y, Yao W, Zhang B, Gao R; Efficacy and Safety of Qili Qiangxin Capsules for Chronic Heart Failure Study Group. A Multicenter, Randomized, Double- Blind, Parallel-Group, Placebo-Controlled Study of the Effects of Qili Qiangxin Capsules in Patients With Chronic Heart Failure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013 Sep 17;62(12): 1065-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2013.05.035
- Zhao L, Chen J, Li Y, Sun X, Chang X, Zheng H, Gong B, Huang Y, Yang M, Wu X, Li X, Liang F. The Longterm Effect of Acupuncture for Migraine Prophylaxis A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Intern Med. 2017 Apr 1;177(4):508-15. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.9378
- Liu Z, Liu Y, Xu H, He L, Chen Y, Fu L, Li N, Lu Y, Su T, Sun J, Wang J, Yue Z, Zhang W, Zhao J, Zhou Z, Wu J, Zhou K, Ai Y, Zhou J, Pang R, Wang Y, Qin Z, Yan S, Li H, Luo L, Liu B. Effect of Electroacupuncture on Urinary Leakage Among Women With Stress Urinary Incontinence: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2017 Jun 27;317(24):2493-501. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2017.7220
- Ou HR. Drug therapy used in oral diseases: Ip-Hyo-San, Bae-Nong-San-Gyup-Tang, Baek-Ho-Ga-In-Sam-Tang, O-Ryung- San, Ban-Ha-Sa-Sim-Tang, In-Jin-Ho-Tang, Hwang-Ryun-Tang. Oral Therapeutics and Pharmacology. 2014 Sep;33(1):32-44.
- Wang XJ, Zhang AH, Sun H, Yan GL. Chinmedomics: Newer Theory and Application. Chinese Herbal Medicines, 2016 Oct;8(4):299-307. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1674-6384(16)60055-2
- Wang XJ, Zhang AH, Sun H, Serum Pharmacochemistry of Traditional Chinese Medicine, London, Elsevier, Academic Press, 2017:1-13.
- Gu S, Pei JF. Innovating Chinese Herbal Medicine: From Traditional Health Practice to Scientific Drug Discovery. Front Pharmacol. 2017 Jun;8:381.
- Lee HJ, Sung HJ, Cho BH. An Analysis of the Status Change of Korean Oriental Medicine. Korean Journal of Oriental Medicine. 1999;5(1):133-9.
- Lee HJ. Comparative Study of the National Policies for Korean Oriental Medicine and Traditional Chinese Medicine. Korean J Oriental Physiology & Pathology. 2008 Oct;22(5):1132-9.
- Ku NP, Seol SS. Limits of Innovation in Korean Medicine Industry. Journal of Korea Technology Innovation Society. 2015 Dec;18(4):667-92.
- Bateson G, Jackson DD, Haley J, Weakland J. Toward a theory of schizophrenia. Syst Res. 1956:1:251-64.